Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    If you're looking at Dutch's hammocks make sure you get an 11' one. You quoted $30. I think his $30 Argon one is 10'. It's something like +$2 for the 11'. You'll want the longer hammock. I have the Argon and love it. My next purchase will be the NylonD for comparison.

A double layer hammock isn't required to use a pad. It is a little fussier in a single layer for sure, but it can still be done. Also, a double layer doesn't make it not fussy. It just makes it a bit less fussy.

So, if you go with one of the Dutch hammocks you can test it in the garage (hopefully a cold garage) with your pad and experience first hand how comfortable it is for you. If you hate using the pad in the single layer hammock, chances are you still wouldn't be happy with it in the DL XLC. They stay in place better in a DL, but the DL doesn't address the other pad-in-a-hammock challenges such as pad width, ideal pad inflation and loss of R-value, and condensation.

Comparing XLC + pad to Dutchammock + bugnet + UQ is such an apples to oranges comparison that looking at the money spent doesn't tell you much. A month later you might be adding the $250 UQ to the XLC purchase.

Hammock
    dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    bullfrog
    Insulation
    leighlo top&bottom
    Suspension
    woopies
    The Netty by Hammeck is a great , very comfortable hammock with a built in bug net.
    @$130.00 value. But my favorite Is my DB72 by DREAM HAMMOCKS, GO PAPA.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Don't let the others unsettle you; to me it sounds like you have done your homework and picked a very useable set-up. When I started out with hammocks, I picked a very similar set-up, and I did not regret it. I love my WBBB! I probably own 30+ hammocks, no-nets with different bug socks as well as integrated hammocks, but so far none has been able to replace my WBBB. To me, it's the most comfortable hiking hammock on the market. Obviously, hammock comfort is *very* personal - and it might well be, that a simple no-net hammock feels as good or even better to you than the "fancy" XLC. You'll only ever know when you have tried both.

I would say stay with your suggested set-up. If you find that the XLC doesn't do it for you, you can easily sell it with a loss of not more than $10-$20 here. WB hammocks rarely last longer than 10 minutes in the For Sale section

For an underquilt you could also go with a DIY solution. Quite a few people have converted cheap/old sleeping bags to an uq. I admit that an underquilt feels better than a pad, but I have used a pad set-up for half a year or so, and it absolutely worked. Just don't forget that you need protection for your shoulders as well (e.g. a small and thin foam pad across your primary pad).

good to know, thanks

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I did my first ever week in the BWCA with a WBBB and a KAQ Jarbidge underquilt. I think the XLC is a great choice. I know there are many people who will say the separate bugnet makes more sense, but the ability to keep your sleeping space 100% skeeter free is super important in the BWCA. (Since you have been before, I'm sure you can agree with that) I would worry about the gaps in a Fronkey when it is unloaded and the reaching hassle of an end-opening bugnet up there. Before I get flamed by the separate bug net lovers, I will admit I have never used one, I am just saying a Warbonnet works extremely well in the Boundary Waters. I slept better that week than I maybe ever have.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

With my Fronkey style bugnet I have found that the UQ and TQ (sleeping bag) I leave in the hammock easily fill the gaps - so I don't think that is something to worry over. It is easier to get in and out of than my ENO guardian (zippered) bug net. I have not had problems with bugs with either style though.

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about but since our trip isn't until August, I have some time to really think everything through.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dryfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    I'm in a similar position looking to make my first big upgrade. I read all of these posts stating "don't buy a hammock! Buy underquilts, etc.. & just use a DIY gathered end." Looking at the WBBB XLC myself. I don't want to be that noob that spends too much money on something that wont make me happy in the long run. Thanks hutzelbein for bringing balance to the conversation.

My question: Do you really need a quality underquilt if you never plan on camping in weather that gets below 45ish at night? I have been using a 1/2 inch walmart CCF pad in my Eno Doublenest for a while. I have a Marmot Never Summer sleeping bag and that seems to do the trick for me. I have never been cold and done some mid fall camping. Thoughts?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by limedude View Post
    My question: Do you really need a quality underquilt if you never plan on camping in weather that gets below 45ish at night? I have been using a 1/2 inch walmart CCF pad in my Eno Doublenest for a while. I have a Marmot Never Summer sleeping bag and that seems to do the trick for me. I have never been cold and done some mid fall camping. Thoughts?
    It sounds like you've mostly answered your own question here. If you are comfortable with a pad, by all means keep using the pad. Pads are overall a more versatile and cost-effective bottom insulation. They block wind. They can be used on the ground. If you've had a consistent positive experience with one in the conditions you expect to sleep in, then no quilt "upgrade" is required.

The main point several of us are trying to make is that a good UQ plus an inexpensive 11' hammock is generally considerably more comfortable than an expensive hammock with problematic bottom insulation. If you are comfortable with a pad, it doesn't shift around on you a lot, and it gives you the coverage you need in the shoulders and hips, then you're in the lucky minority of people who are well served by them.

If you're like me, you'll buy the expensive hammock first and then follow it up with an expensive underquilt when pads fail to serve you to your satisfaction.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dryfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    It sounds like you've mostly answered your own question here. If you are comfortable with a pad, by all means keep using the pad. Pads are overall a more versatile and cost-effective bottom insulation. They block wind. They can be used on the ground. If you've had a consistent positive experience with one in the conditions you expect to sleep in, then no quilt "upgrade" is required.

The main point several of us are trying to make is that a good UQ plus an inexpensive 11' hammock is generally considerably more comfortable than an expensive hammock with problematic bottom insulation. If you are comfortable with a pad, it doesn't shift around on you a lot, and it gives you the coverage you need in the shoulders and hips, then you're in the lucky minority of people who are well served by them.

If you're like me, you'll buy the expensive hammock first and then follow it up with an expensive underquilt when pads fail to serve you to your satisfaction.
    Good point. Thanks!

I too will probably eventually find where pads fail to meet my needs. By then the pain of an expensive hammock will be a distant memory and I will be ready to go for a good UQ!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast