Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Can you leave a hammock under tension to long?

Unfortunately, like most of us here on HF, I don't get out and hammock camp nearly as much as I would like. To offset this I have a byer vario hammock stand in my back room that I always have one of my hammocks hanging from. Almost daily I find time to lay in it and read or watch a movie on my computer, relax, and so forth. Those of you who have this stand realize that it flexes a lot. With some of my hammocks (ENO double) I find it no problem and it actually adds to the sag of the hammock which makes it more comfortable. With my JRB BMBH (which I currently have hung up now) the sag makes it uncomfortable. What I do is sting it extra tight to make the stand flex when I'm not in the hammock. Then when I get in the stand flexes just a bit more and I'm comfortable. My question is this. If I leave my hammock under tension will it wear out the suspension (standard JRB suspension) and/or hammock quicker? I have never thought about this until just now and I'm a bit worried. Maybe I should relieve the tension or unhook it from the stand when I'm not in it? What do y'all think?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm curious to hear the responses to this one! I never really thought about it either.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I set up a gathered end Walmart special (1.9 oz ripstop) for my brother back in April. It's been hanging in his yard ever since -- in Florida, but in the shade. I check it out every couple of weeks and the fabric still seems to be in good shape. It still holds my weight okay, but time will tell.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    If it's not exposed to sun (UV) and you don't see any areas of particular stress, I wouldn't worry about it.

The qualifier is that I don't have a bridge hammock and it may have its own peculiarities.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You could run a ratchet strap from post to post and take up the tension with that. It would eliviate any undue stress on your hammock. Secure ratchet strap to eliminate slippage. my 2 cents
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've had a Bridge hung in my basement stand now for at least 6 months. No visible signs of distress and I (and/or someone) lies in it daily for at least a short nap.

My stand is a variant of the Risk style stand, so I don't have the problem you do with the stand lending extra sag. Because of this, The suspension isn't pulled tight, but with approximately a 25* to 30* angle on the suspension.

I rather doubt that keeping tension on the polypro webbing of the BMBH will harm it. It seems to me, the most that could happen is the polypro webbing would stretch. If you have had the BMBH hung with tension on the webbing for a significant time and haven't noticed any more stretch, then it seems that you should be okay.

The only time the fabric on the BMBH will be under tension is when someone is actually lying in the hammock. This is true even if you have the suspension and the arcs pulled tight, since in that condition the webbing on the arcs is taking the tension and not the fabric.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    I'm with Gargoyle. The hammock not in constant stress has got to be better than the hammock in a state of constant stress. I also understand that its the stress on the hammock that corrects the hang of the hammock. A ratchet strap would work against you if I understand correctly.

I'd say don't use the hammock with that frame or loosen one side after every use.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teletrekker View Post
    I'd say don't use the hammock with that frame or loosen one side after every use.
    While the frame may be a problem the stress put on the hammock webbing is inconsequential I would expect compared to the hammock in use. The suspension ropes should surely be sufficient to withstand that tension or I would be concerned about using the period. In addition, as Teedee said above the tension is borne entirely by the suspensions and webbing arc. The fabric in a bridge hammock is under tension only when loaded.

I might be somewhat concerned about over-flexing the joints on the stand more than damaging the hammock itself. If ratcheting the hammock stand makes you feel better I would think there is no more danger in doing that than in using the hammock. But as far as the hammock itself is concerned, if the suspension shows no stretch or wear I wouldn't worry about it.

But.. what do I know. Do what makes you most confident in the system. Loosening the tension would not do any harm. I am just not sure it is needed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

The problem here is stress, not time. Trying to pull a hammock tight places it under enormous stress when you load it (get in). A loosely hung hammock and its support lines are subject only to the perils of UV and organic decay, ozone, etc. If you can't get a proper hang without pulling it super tight, the hammock stand may be too small or too low. Consider hanging from eye-bolts in the wall (corner to corner) instead of the stand.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The problem, I believe is stress over a long time period. As others have mentioned it's not really stress on the bridge hammock fabric as much as the suspension. There is very little to no UV rays & ozone as the hammock is inside. It is by a window so I guess it could gets some UV radiation, however I'm not concerned about that. The hammock stand is of proper size, just a function of design/material that allows it to flex some. I'm in an apartment and don't want to attach anything to the wall. Thanks for the thought.

• + New Posts