Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    MWG Green Monster
    Insulation
    Golite/UGQ Zep

Help with adjustments

I finally had an opportunity to play with my new KAQ New River quilt today. The weather has been nasty here lately so I hung my hammock in the shop to test it out. I put the hammock up, hooked up the quilt, snugged it up and climbed in. I immediately noticed the cold butt syndrome. I could feel cold air on my rear and legs down to about my knees. My back seemed plenty warm. I tried snugging the quilt tighter, I tried loosening the quilt suspension, I tried adding a secondary suspension through the tabs along the side of the quilt. I tried hooking Dutch Quilt Hooks on the suspension. Nothing worked. I have a Go Lite top quilt and was nice a warm on top. Hammock is a Skeeter Beeter Pro. Now again, this was in my shop, so no wind blowing to cause issues. What am I missing here?
    All help appreciated.

Was air coming in at the foot end of the quilt. If I remember right that quilt has drawstrings on both ends that could be pulled tighter. Those should be pulled pretty tight for your hammock, so that the ends of the quilt are gathered. Also the quilt should be snug to the hammock. In the beginning I used to leave mine a little loose and that led to cold.

Also try to have someone else (similarly sized if possible) lay in the hammock and check the fit when they are in there. I bet that there are are gaps some place.

Hammock
    Dutchware NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    Kelty Frankenquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps

Good advice here in Paul's video for the Jarbridge. I have a Potomac for my Hennessy and was having a similar problem until I loosened the foot end gather so the quilt would conform better with the hammock. I had it too tight and it created channels that let the draft in.

Hope this helps!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Avoid tightening the short end lines too tight into a U shape. I learned this in Fronkey's video-- don't remember which one. And I tie those short cords onto those longer cords with a slip and grip hitch hitch hiking up the longer cords to prevent Accordion Effect. I learned that in one of Shug's videos. Get a friend to check bottom quilt air gaps with you in hammock.

• + New Posts