DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs
    Images
    I went winter backpacking on the AT this past Christmas in GA with my ENO Profly and it worked just fine. Just hang your hammock a little lower to the ground and tie your tarp down as close to the ground as you can without touching the hammock and it should block a good amount of wind.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Donig's suggestions are good.

Pick up quality stuff on clearance when the opportunity presents itself.

Borrow things from friends and family

Concede that some of your stuff might need to be heavier or lower performance when starting out (i.e. good wool watch cap versus down hat).

Shop Ebay for military surplus.

Browse Craigslist for local deals.

Learn to DIY the simpler things which have larger margins or bleed you with shipping costs, or can be made with what you already have (e.g. Fancy Feast alcohol stove)

Don't consider DIY'ing with down until you know more about it.

Shop local thrift stores or garage sales for wool/down garments or other gear.

Prepare your own inexpensive backpacking food.

Use the saved money wisely so you don't scrimp on the real essentials, like your tarp.

Buying warm and appropriate clothing isn't as sexy as shopping for a pair of skis, snowshoes or a pulk, but it is certainly more important and it should be prioritized accordingly. It's also infinitely more versatile. It doesn't just get used in the woods. You can always rent snowshoes or get by for a trip with a cheap plastic kid's sled as a pulk, but you can't rent a base layer.

Your first priority should be warmth. How to establish it, and how to return to it once you're cold and wet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePantologist View Post
    ...All the clothing layers at REI are ridiculous...any tips?
    Check out local thrift stores. I came away with two wool pants, a wool sweater, a wool hoodie and a wool jacket for $70.00 which is the same as just one of my fleece jackets. I made a wool anorak from a wool blanket and wore a merino wool base layer and I was comfortable on a recent trip down to -25 degrees C. I know wool is not the lightest and packable but the cost can be much less than the technical fabrics and they just work well in cold weather.

I also recommend doing a backyard or close to a vehicle camp to try out your gear first.
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-25-2015 at 15:03.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    You can start with inexpensive base layers from Wal-Mart - or look at some of the online clearance places like Sierra Trading Post.
    Definitely a good idea!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Shoes - Sierra Trading Post; sign up for emails and you'll get an additional discount; don't buy until you see at least 35% off (usually no more than 40% "additional" off).

Poles - cheap Walmart, etc., poles.

Tarp - what you want to do is block wind, and you don't necessarily have to do that with a tarp. Just as well to keep what you have and use a sock.
    Otherwise, the Warbonnet Superfly is about the best value. Others are slightly more for a similar tarp with doors.

What are you using for underneath insulation?
    The sock seems cool however i can imagine condensation issues...especially in winter. For insulation i'm using a HG Incubator 0 degree as well as a piece of reflectix under my butt and an REI inflatable sit pad down in the foot box.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycooper View Post
    I went winter backpacking on the AT this past Christmas in GA with my ENO Profly and it worked just fine. Just hang your hammock a little lower to the ground and tie your tarp down as close to the ground as you can without touching the hammock and it should block a good amount of wind.
    I'm hoping to try that this weekend in the backyard

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    Donig's suggestions are good.

Pick up quality stuff on clearance when the opportunity presents itself.

Borrow things from friends and family

Concede that some of your stuff might need to be heavier or lower performance when starting out (i.e. good wool watch cap versus down hat).

Shop Ebay for military surplus.

Browse Craigslist for local deals.

Learn to DIY the simpler things which have larger margins or bleed you with shipping costs, or can be made with what you already have (e.g. Fancy Feast alcohol stove)

Don't consider DIY'ing with down until you know more about it.

Shop local thrift stores or garage sales for wool/down garments or other gear.

Prepare your own inexpensive backpacking food.

Use the saved money wisely so you don't scrimp on the real essentials, like your tarp.

Buying warm and appropriate clothing isn't as sexy as shopping for a pair of skis, snowshoes or a pulk, but it is certainly more important and it should be prioritized accordingly. It's also infinitely more versatile. It doesn't just get used in the woods. You can always rent snowshoes or get by for a trip with a cheap plastic kid's sled as a pulk, but you can't rent a base layer.

Your first priority should be warmth. How to establish it, and how to return to it once you're cold and wet.
    All good ideas. Thanks.
    My issue is that i was originally "coached" into "Needing" new equipment from REI whenever i needed something. That's why i originally bought the eno equipment rather than hammock gear from one of the more specialty places like JRB etc. I wish i would have found hammock forums sooner!!!

-Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Check out local thrift stores. I came away with two wool pants, a wool sweater, a wool hoodie and a wool jacket for $70.00 which is the same as just one of my fleece jackets. I made a wool anorak from a wool blanket and wore a merino wool base layer and I was comfortable on a recent trip down to -25 degrees C. I know wool is not the lightest and packable but the cost can be much less than the technical fabrics and they just work well in cold weather.

I also recommend doing a backyard or close to a vehicle camp to try out your gear first.
    Thanks for the good ideas!

-Mark Twain

You seem to like REI. I love them. Don't forget hitting up the REI garage sale every quarter. Great place to pick up stuff on the cheep. Last one I went to spent $179 and got almost $1800 in goods if I had paid retail.

Staying warm in winter takes a bit of care:
    - Make more heat: eat more, drink plenty of water
    - Stay dry: Always be adjusting layers so you don't sweat, vent when needed, keep a dry layer for sleeping, etc.
    - Stay lofty: make sure your outer layers are baggy, so they don't compress the inner layers. Especially important for boots, to keep toes from freezing!
    - Block wind: Shell layer keeps the heat in your wool or fleece insulation layers

Like others said, you don't need to spend $$$ to stay warm in the winter.

I love love love (love? love!) my shell layer. Made by Frogg Toggs, model called "Road Toad", cost me <$60 on eBay for the top and bottom together. Lighter weight and more breathable than GoreTex, very baggy to keep your insulating layers puffy, durable enough.

For years, my insulation layers were cheap fleece. This year I upgraded to a nice down jacket from Costco, $45. Pants are still fleece. I went down to ~10F just fine.

Stay away from cotton, layer up until you look like the michelin man, cover it all with your favorite shell layer. You will laugh in comfort and style at the frigid clouds your breath makes. Okay, maybe not style.

If you get chilly, check that you're dry. Eat some candy, dance around, throw a hot water bottle in your jacket or pants, and rejoice =]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12