Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Inheriting Two Sewing Machines... Are they worth it?

So long story short(ened), my 93 y.o. grandmother has finally decided to part with some of the things she hasn't used in 10-15 years. Two of the items are sewing machines. I am very new to the DIY world and don't want to get in way over my head. However, how can you turn down a free "learning device" as I see it. I know one of them is a Singer 403. She used it regularly, but can't remember when the last time was. She also has all the original parts, manuals, and even a drawer full of the specialty cams. She also has a folding card table with insert for machine.

The second machine comes in it's own sewing cabinet/table along with a slew of threads and other sewing material/accessories. It's a Brother around the same age. At least that's what my dad thinks it is. He said it's "better than a Singer and starts with a B". I didn't get much time to look at it because by the time we got to it, she temporarily changed her mind that she would pick up sewing again. She also told us that she would start playing piano again (I don't think she ever knew how to play in the first place though).

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Take the machines, you will not regret it. Both are good, however if they have not been used in a long time take then to be serviced and ask the people there to help you start, then start with something simple. In the long run of things they will pay for themselves in all the DIY projects you can think of. That's how I started out with one portable machine and now I have a heavy duty cabinet machine for my harder projects.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Inheriting Two Sewing Machines... Are they worth it?

You've hit the Jackpot! Both are great machine and able to do almost anything you would want to. Thank her and assure her that you will treasure them for another generation ( which they will easily last).
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Assuming the folding card table is one of the Singer models with the wood surface, they are a sought after item as well. The 403 is a very good machine and chances are the brother is as well if it is from the era prior to plastic gears.

• + New Posts