Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images

Trip Rep> FL > 4th Annual LWRSF Sherpa Hang

What can I say? Great fun and wonderful people... and more food than we could ever hope to eat

mmmmm.jpg

Thanks to all that came out and helped with everything. The weather was as close to perfect as you could want. Sorry that we're losing our lilricky but Texas is gaining a great one
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sadly for us in Florida, this should be sub-titled, "lilricky's farewell hang." But he will always be Florida's son, even though he is moving to Texas. We wish him well and Texas is gaining a great forum member.

Fittingly, the hang was a great success, in part due to lilricky's efforts. Everyone chipped in on what has become a Florida tradition at this hang, which is to "car camp" a couple of miles away from our cars! So much for my ultralight tendencies. (Please don't believe any pictures of me carrying a Dutch oven; they must have been photo-shopped! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) 20150221_123032.jpg 20150221_110118.jpg IMG_20150221_030657.jpg 20150221_105844.jpg 20150221_125135.jpg 20150221_165049.jpg IMG_20150221_081212.jpg 20150221_102509.jpg
    Last edited by MAD777; 02-22-2015 at 17:59.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I had a great time this weekend as usual.

I arrived Friday afternoon around 1:45 and started on the Orange trail from the kiosk towards Isabel. It was interesting walking through the burn area before I got to the hiker bridge. Right before Graves Island I picked up a fitness bracelet in the trail assuming it might belong to someone in the group. After Graves Island I met oboy on the trail who told me we had some puddles to walk through before turning off onto the trail into Isabel. I found a nice set of trees on the other side of the creek and setup for the weekend.

Saturday was a lazy day, luckily lilricky gave everyone an opportunity to take a walk before dinner. On my new diet I got to try out some new food options but I really wish I could have enjoyed the group food as it looked great.

After the group picture I parted ways from the group and hiked back out to the kiosk. Got back to my car a little after noon and was home before 1.

Thanks to everyone for pitching in a making this a memorable weekend. I'll get a post up soon the start planning our March Hike-n-Hang.

My only picture of the trip. It stood around for a few minutes before I chased it off the trail so I could hike through.

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Had a great time. I wish I would have had lil Ricky autographed the cooler he gave me. Thanks Lil Ricky I will be bringing it back to more hangs

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think I gained 20 pounds this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Another good one! Always a pleasure to spend time with good friends in the woods. Picked up MR3T(Scott) in Clearwater on Friday afternoon and we, along with Trinity, my best friend, headed to LWRSF. I had secured a permit to park out on Tram Rd. which put us fairly close to the camp. We arrived to camp a little later than I had hoped, but still with plenty of time to get set up. Friday night had a fantastic steak, I had carried in and toasted some marbled bread to go with it. Caught up with some familiars and met some new hangers. Friday was on the chilly side with us reaching a low of 41*. Saturday brought some fine eating, with what has become a Florida hanger's tradition of some MM breakfast and Olddog's cheesy bacon grits. It was further enhanced by Floridahanger doing up some cardboard oven bisquits and some sausage gravy. Saturday night MAD777 cooked us up a fantastic dish of red beans and rice with sausage. Before that, though, JIMJ taught us a new one, when he brought in some bags of Fritos and had us pour a scoop of chili and some cheese in the bags. Boy, was that good!! Followed that meal up with one of olddog's famous DO cobblers. Saturday night, I just couldn't keep my eyes open, so Trinity and I headed to bed pretty early. I think I was out the moment my head hit the hammock. I want to thank everyone who showed my dog some love and attention. I was well pleased with how she handled being in the woods and was glad I had her with me. I guess I wore the poor girl out, as she's zonked out on the couch right now. I am sad that this was lilricky's last hang with us, before moving on to a new adventure in Texas. Be well my friend! I didn't get a bunch of photos, but here's a few I managed. See yall at the next one!

RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Another great Sherpa Hang in the books. Met up with Floridahanger, Bla1z3, Club708 and Subwayjim at the kiosk sometime around noon. Did a bit of vehicle shuffle for parking and loaded all the gear into the truck for a shuttle to the trailhead at Lake Godwin. Modifications to the Sherpa made it less than a mile in, oh well back to the drawing board. Was glad to see lilricky approaching us on the trail in and especially the offer for some assistance with the Sherpa. Friday night was absolutely perfect. Steak and sweet potato, a campfire to gather around with old and new friends, cool enough for a jacket and maybe just a touch too much Bourbon.
    Saturday was just a lazy day but was justified after the massive brunch consumed that morning. I did try to explore upstream on the creek but with the higher water level and the thickets of briars there wasn't much opportunity to get to the creek. We were joined for the day by Moonbear and the night by Ricktorfla and Gone Native. Glad you guys could make it out. The rest of the afternoon was just relaxing around the camp, expect for those involved with cutting down a widowmaker. I even tried a nap but unfortunately it had warmed up and the afternoon sun was peeking in under the edge of the tarp. As evening approached we were treated with emcee's offering of Drunken Dates for an appiteaser. Only managed to get one as we were called on to retrieve a vehicle from the sugar sand. Dinner consisted of JEM's Chili Frito Pie and MADD's Red Beans and Rice finished of with another peach cobbler. Sunday morning began with the packing up and preparing another massive breakfast along with goodbyes for lilrickey. Safe journey and a happy future my friend. Gonna miss you around the fire but will be looking forward to seeing you next January.

4th Annual Sherpa Hang 001.jpg4th Annual Sherpa Hang 002.jpg
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are a few pictures I took.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Ha! Glad you got a picture of the ice in the fire ring. That's the only evidence of our "winter" hang, LOL. However, about half way back to the car in 80° heat, I was wishing for some of that ice!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Another great time in the woods even if it was only for 2.5 days. Thanks to Craig for not only finding my fitbit, but me as well and leading me to the promised campsite. Note to self, be sure to have a map for any future hikes!! As always I enjoyed the company of everyone there and glad to see we have several new hangers to help replace the two that we are about to lose.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast