DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Florida hanger thanks for the thorough picture record. It's almost like being there.

I would like to know the details of your (I think?) camo tarp It looks great.

Our hangs just keep growing into events. I was sorry to miss this one.
    grinder

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Thanks for the photos FH. I just can't seem to remember to take any.

It was a pleasure meeting you Moonbear. Looking forward you having you on the trail with us.

Missed you too Grinder. See you soon?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Chrysalis
    Insulation
    handmade TQ
    Looks and sounds like every one had a great time! Thanks for taking care of my guy (floridahanger). I know he enjoyed it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Florida hanger thanks for the thorough picture record. It's almost like being there.
    +1 !!
    What a great report! Thanks everyone.
    Gumbo & I had a good time at the Bay Area Renaissance Festival (BARF) but we thought of you guys out there too.

All that comes into our lives eventually goes. I guess that's a good thing because we learn to appreciate all that we have as a gift. Our time with lilricky and Samsara and the legacy they each leave are tremendous gifts. Thank you Dave and thank you Mike! Gumbo & I pray for your safe travels and your well being wherever the trails take you. The sadness of parting is tempered by the anticipation of our next meeting - HHangConI - SEE YOU THERE!!!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow, lots of good pictures taken by everyone! It was great to be with old friends & meet new ones!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I broke the rules on this hike. I decided to hike starting from the southern end of School Bus Road, a total of 6 miles from the campsite. I know it was supposed to be the Sherpa hang, but I wanted to get some miles in. I arrived at the trail head around 11:00am Friday and began my journey. The trail was nice and well maintained until I reached a large section of tire ruts that turned the trail into long puddles. I was forced to detour around them in the surrounding cutthroat grass. The grass increased the challenge due to the uneven footing but I enjoyed it. For a short distance the trail was along the Tram Road and I wondered if I would observe anybody driving into the hang, but I observed no one. Through the entire hike, I only heard birds and the occasional insect. It was great. Better the the constant hum of small high RPM fans from a server room any day.

The weather was outstanding. The sun was present the whole day. I covered myself in some high SPF sunscreen in the morning, but by 1:00pm it was starting to wear off and I felt the burn. More had to be applied. Occasionally, a breeze would blow in and cool me off.

An intermittent stream was crossed within a narrow strip of trees along its shore and the trail was once again a large puddle. Along the edge of the trail was a plank. I stepped on the plank and my weight caused the board to bow into the water then come up. I stood there and observed the wave traveling across the still puddle and waited for the reflection from the far shore. It came and the whole puddle shimmered and appeared to dance from the wave action. It was a nice treat from the long sun drenched hike in.

I continued on and finally made my way to the campsite. Lilricky was present along with JimJ. I found the crossing and set up across the stream. Finally the rest of the group appeared and great fun was had by all. The photos above speak form themselves. Although no pictures appear of the movement of the great log, you had to be there. It felt like we where assaulting Troy with a battering ram. Thanks everyone for your assistance. I even lend my hands with the stuck car, although my idea failed we where able to get the car out after jacking the tires up and placing wood underneath them. Sugar Sand can be tricky.

My hike out was about the same distance. I crossed the forest on the blue trail and linked up with the orange trail on the east side of the forest. The conditions where muddy and someone decided to ride a horse down the trail which my it all the more difficult. But I arrived at my car at 2:30pm and, after a short stop at the bridge to get some water, I started the long ride home.

I discovered that at 3:00pm on a Friday, the entire world is trying to drive east on route 60. At times I was only traveling at 20mph until I reached Yeeha Junction. After a drive through dinner at Wendy's, I was exhausted by the time I reached a rest stop on I-95. After a short nap; I finally made it home at 6:30pm.

It was a great trip and I enjoyed being there. I want to say thanks and goodbye to Lilricky for all that he has done. In fact he was the first forum member I met while on a day hike at Hal Scott in Orange County. I still feel bad about the whiteblaze incident, but I think that is water under the bridge. Thanks for everything you did for the hangs and the Florida Trail!

I don't know if I will see Samsara again. But thanks for organizing all of the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest hangs. I wish you the best of luck in WA. I hope you find the line of work you wish to achieve!

Thanks everyone who made food and shared it with me. I lack the skills to present food to the group, but maybe in the future. I want to thank sandykayak for the offer of more insulation the second night, the offer was appreciated.

And thanks to everyone who attended!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Great write ups and pictures!
    My time for this trip started Saturday morning after a conversation with the wife. Got the clear to travel down to this hang. Started packing then gave old dog a call to tell him I was on my way down. He gave me some instructions on where to park. Packed up and made my way down to Lake Godwin road. Dog told me to call him and he would meet up with me on the trail. About half way to the camp I was greeted by dog, Madd and Emcee. They walked me to camp and I said hey to everyone. Dog threw me a beverage. After a bit I set up my kit. Sat around visiting when someone needed some help. We went out and offered up some assistance. After that was done it was supper time!

JimJ warmed up some chili JEM made and we ate them out of frito bags! Brilliant idea! Then Madd whipped up some sausage, beans and rice! Another excellent dish!

Dog whipped up a peach cobbler for dessert to finish off the Sat. meal.

FLahanger stoked the fire and we proceeded to swap the stories around the fire. Most excellent conversations were had. Turned in round Midnight and woke up round seven the next morn. Dog was packing up his kit. When he was done; he started on a MM and getting the grits ready. Got them on the coals.While they were cooking, I broke down my gear and got packed up. We ate breakfast, cleaned up and everyone got ready to head out. Some parked different places and they headed off on different trails. Some of us headed to Lake Godwin and we all said our Goodbyes there.

And I have to say how I am amazed what can be brought on them sherpas! Special shout out to SandyKayak! I am always amazed on the stuff you can pack! And I love how your dogs enjoy their ride in the bottom of your Sherpa! Good times!

Had a great time though short. Glad I got to say good bye to Ricky and help send him off to a new beginning! It was great to meet Moon bear and Blaze, Scott Mrk3.
    It is always good to meetup with these bunch of folks!
    Last edited by richtorfla; 02-26-2015 at 19:28.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Can't hold off any more. Lots to say but will do it in shorter posts.

"How was your weekend, Sandy?" "Great. I hammock camped in the woods with 18 men!" Unfortunately, several had left before the group photo. I know the rule: pic or it didn't happen.

MoonBear: I was thrilled to read your bit about: " . I found a parking spot and parked behind a hangers SUV. Started my hike on what I thought was the correct path....NOT. **** orange flags, they got me! After an hour detour, I made it to the spot. " Now I don't feel so bad. Samsara met me as I was heading back on the wrong trail and pushed my Sherpa with the two Chihuahuas all the way to camp. (He also pushed it on the way back. My Sherpa had a Sherpa!) Thanks Dave.

The guys were great. I've known a lot of them since the first (and subsequent)' hangs. They took good care of me. Thanks, guys. Special thanks to JimJ who not only waited for me at the gate, but waved me through. I was last. As I said, they took good care of me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast