Hammock
    Dutchware Argon 11'
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    z-lite sol
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Thorough review of Dutchware Argon Hammock compared to Grand Trunk Double W/pics

After tons and tons of digging, searching, and forum crawling I finally decided to get a Dutchware Argon Hammock! at $32, what could go wrong?

My first REAL post on the forums and I aim to make it a good one.

A bit of background, I am currently transitioning to the "lightweight" backpacking lifestyle. I will never be an UL backpacker because I value capability, comfort, and safety over the weight on my back and miles under my feet. That being said, I'm not a "gram weenie" by any stretch, but the idea of my hammock weighing it at ~ 10 oz would cut out ~3/4 lb pound from my kit. Nice!

Right now I, like most early hangers, had a commercially available Grand Trunk Double hammock. Similar to the ENO line, these things are marketed to hold two people, made from parachute nylon, have a 400lb capacity, and weigh a ton (comparatively speaking, that is). I wanted something lighter, and smaller.

Enter the Dutchware line of hammocks. Affordable at $32, and roomy at 11' long. Which one to pick?! My longtime friend and now ex roommate Deathstar 77 got the PolyD hammock and was impressed at the size/weight, but wasn't wild about the fabric. Looked pretty slippery to me. So I decided to go with the 1.6oz Argon Material.

IN SHORT, THIS HAMMOCK IS GREAT, GO AHEAD AND BUY IN NOW

Those who want a thorough review and comparison, read on.

Initial Impressions:

Wow. This weighs nothing. Is there a hammock in here or a bunch of crumpled up plastic grocery bags? (That's how it feels in the stuff sack) and that's when I see it. the stitching separating on the stuff sack

20150220_231749.jpg

I know this isn't the norm for Dutch's stuff so I sent him an email with this picture and responded almost immediately. He said he'd send me another one with a return envelope for the one I have now. Seriously, Dutch, your customer service reputation precedes you. Even on a Saturday evening, you still have time to respond to your customer's email.

That being said, the Argon sil fabric seems super super thin and light. Great for the gram weenies out there and if feels slick and soft to the touch. I wonder if it's thin and light to a fault. it looks like the stitch just popped out of the fabric, causing the separation. Personally, I would have liked to have seen this made from a more "bombproof" fabric. after all, this is a "stuff" sack and plan to do just that. I could be wrong about its durability, but its just so darn thin I'm afraid I'll break it.

This is the ONLY nitpick I could find in my analysis (which is thorough) and is something you may want to consider.

That being said, I think the stuff sack is the perfect size. At first, I thought it was super long. Why 15" long when I can compress the whole hammock in my hands to a size just bigger than a softball? Compared to my Grand trunk, which is about the size of a nalgene in its stuff sack fully compressed is amazing! I come to the conclusion that the extra size of the stuff sack will allow me to keep a bugnet attached to the hammock and keep in there as well. Good design! The cord locks and cord that cinch up feel solid. quality.

Onto the hammock! weights, comparison to GT Double, etc

20150220_232453.jpg20150220_232514.jpg
    306g or 10.8oz which is 10g more than what Dutch says on his site, but the stuff sack weighs ~10g and I also don't really care about ~10g lol but for the sake of thoroughness, I report everything.

I also ordered some 7/64 amsteel from dutch in a cool yellow color and made some continuous loops and a fixed length ridge line. 5 minutes on the internet was all it took to learn how to diy both of these and its super fun! Anyways, I attached those and weighed in again.

20150221_033934.jpg
    Not even a full ounce of weight gain. I am thankful to be getting into backpacking/hammocking at a time when everything is so lightweight and strong!

Quick comparison of the GT double weight (with whoopies and a paracord ridgeline
    20150221_034637.jpg20150221_034625.jpg

...yeah, for all intents and purposes, HALF the weight. I would encourage any new hammocker to go this route instead of the commercial ENO or GT options. It's cheaper, lighter, and way more fulfilling.

Dutch uses some plastic cable ties to gather the ends of his hammocks. I was tempted to cut these out and replace it with some braided mason twine, but decided against it. the gathering looks symmetrical and clean. I'll just larks head the continuous loop on there and go to town!
    20150220_232854.jpg

How does it hang? Answer: IMHO perfect.

It's a snowy day here in King George, Va so unfortunately I couldn't take all the pictures I wanted, but my kelty noah 12 provides another good standard of measure for a size comparison.

20150221_162230.jpg20150221_160619.jpg

Left: Black dutch argon Right: GT double
    both pictures taken from approximate same location.

Initial haning impressions: MAN this thing is long. at 11' this hammock spans some distance and hangs pretty low. My GT double is 10.5 feet long, so it wasn't too much of a transition, but still noticeably longer.

As a frame of reference, I am 6'2" ~245lbs and broad shouldered. My main concern with this hammock was the width. With my height, and width across the shoulders, I was worried the hammock would inhibit my diagonal lay even with the 11' hammock length. I found that the width was perfect. A few inches narrower and it would have been too narrow. This is great, because I hated all the extra floppy fabric on my GT double.
    20150221_162801.jpg20150221_160921.jpg

Another concern I had was the lightweight fabric inhibiting strength. The fabric is super thin. Thin enough to partially see thru. (see picture, you can see the snow and tree through the fabric

20150221_162853.jpg

Under tension, the fabric feels strong, soft, and comfortable. I was concerned about the stretch from the comments here on the forums. My definition of "stretch" is similar to paracord stretch which means after an hour my butt would be in the snow. I was pleased to find out this is NOT the case with Argon. The soft argon was a pleasure to lay in. I felt no measurable stretch, but there was a slight amount of give that I could tell was there. It is hard to describe, but one thing is for sure, it is NOT slippery at all. since I use a pad instead of an UQ (I will spring for a jarbidge eventually) I was worried my pad would slide around. I laid in the hammock with and without a pad and even after an hour or so I stayed put with and without the pad.

I also did some light "bounce testing" to kind of push the limits of that 280lb limit. Of course I didn't jump on the thing, but I did sit in the middle with my feet over the side and bounced a little to mimic the shifting in the hammock at night/readjusting pads/quilts etc. This also served as a way to test the "stretch" and I still had no complaints. I mean, its fabric, not a rubber band.

Simply put, I love this fabric, love the hammock, and love the company. I'm looking forward to the redesign of the speedhooks, the length of the hammock plus whoopies made for a long hanging distance. I may experiment with descender rings and some amsteel leads with the leftover amsteel from the loops and ridgeline I made. Always improving.

20150221_163034.jpg
    Whatchu know bout hammocks in the snow?!

Hope this helps some folks out!

best,
    moorefoodnow AKA 45ACP
    Last edited by moorefoodnow; 02-21-2015 at 23:12. Reason: picture upload issue

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Great post, and welcome to the forums, Moore!

I am surprised to hear about the seam separation, but not surprised at all that Dutch would make it right. He stands behind everything he sells.

One thing I would suggest is switching out your paracord ridge line for Zing-it line. It's lighter than paracord (I don't like paracord for how it holds water), much less bulky, and easier to clip things onto. Lots of Dutch's gear (Flyz, Fleaz, Dutch Hooks...) is designed with Zing-it in mind. The only down side of Zing-it is it's slippery so if you are prussiking to it you'll need a couple more turns.

I own 2 Hennesseys, 2 ENOs, 2 Warbonnets, and even a Snipe hammock. The Dutch Argon is 1/5th the price and hands down the most comfortable. The only hammock that is its equal is the Snipe, which is the exact same measurements but 1/3 the price.

Welcome to the forums, hope you can hang around for a while (pun intended).
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Dutchware Argon 11'
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    z-lite sol
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The paracord Ridgeline is on my GT double, and will probably stay that way(I don't see why I would use my GT again unless I loaned it out or wanted to put more than 1 person in it. I put an amsteel fixed length on my Argon hammock. Probably a bit overkill, but it was a fun project to diy.

Paracord used to (and still is in some cases) my solution to everything. But it stretches something fierce. Not optimal for Ridgeline for sure.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    Perfectly thorough review, as expected
    Always last to the camp site.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Great report. I have been pleasantly surprised by how careful Dutch Ware Gear is about returning communication. Right at the top of the Vendor list of excellent communication. I guess I am of the old school, if I can not reach someone easily when I want to spend $, I move on to a different vendor. Dutch Ware Gear has surprised me several times by their prompt response to my request for information or help.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Thanks fantastic review - I've been on the fence with this hammock. Time to pull the trigger now.
    --- Bill ---

So, how many nights have you slept i it and under what conditions?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may have just convinced me to spend more money on "hammock stuff". Thanks for the great review.

Hammock
    Dutchware Argon 11'
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    z-lite sol
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    So, how many nights have you slept i it and under what conditions?
    I haven't spent any nights in it yet. But I did hang in the back yard for about an hour during wintery mix weather conditions in about 25 degrees. I have a high level of confidence that this hammock will perform at any condition in any weather

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for a great review. I too, started hanging with a package hammock, HH Explorer UL A-Sym but am seriously looking at Dutch's Argon after reading all the favorable comments on the forum.
    What are your plans for a bugnet? Summers in NH will be impossible without one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast