Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Testing out MW3 insualtion in new BMBH

Hello there.
    I pulled the trigger on a bridge. I just had to, I had to see what it was like.
    Well today I went to the park and set it all up.
    The underquilt I plan on using with it is a MW3.
    After toying with it for the better part of the hour I couldn't quite figure it out.
    I have the UL version of the BMBH so the quilt attaches to the secondary rings.
    The problem I was experiencing however is that the quilt comes up and over the sides of the hammock by 3-4 inches.
    It seems like a really easy way that air could escape.
    I am trying to figure if I am the only one experiencing this issue or if there are remedy techniques to help close up those gaps??
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Images
    Yes, there are many ways of dealing with any side gaps. First of all, the UQ coming up high on the sides should be no problem, just something warm to lean back into when on your side. But also, make sure you have the hammock pulled tight enough, but of course not too tight- consult the directions or call the Jacks. If the hammock is too loose, the 1st place you will notice it is with a loose UQ fit in the middle at the sides, it will gap away to the side. Do you have a big side gap, or just a small one? A small one is pretty normal, but it will get much bigger if the hammock is too loose.

The only possible problem I have ever had with my JRB quilts on a bridge hammock is a small side gap at the middle, which seems to be the narrowest part of the hammock. First let me say I have never proved that this us actually a problem, rather than just looking like a problem. Because even if I ignore it I still have been warm, probably because anywhere my body is in contact with the hammock enough to compress the TQ, the UQ is also snug against the hammock there with no gaps. Still, I don't like the looks of even a small gap, it makes me paranoid, and from the beginning many years ago I have always taken a spare piece of shockcord and run it either from side to side straight across the hammock. I normally just use the extra loops on JRB UQs which are meant for the side tie outs with a Hennessy hammock.

My absolute favorite method was discovered by accident while using my no longer available MW3 convertible model in short/torso mode. I have taken a JRB shockcord and run it from the butt end loops(in short mode) criss cross or catercorner- left loop shock cord over the hammock to the right side foot end spreader bar, rt foot loop/shockcord over the hammock to the left side spreader bar end. Absolutely perfect fit every time, better than I have ever seen for any other quilt on any hammock. But, one day it dawned on me that this also worked great if full length mode. IOW, full length UQ on a BMBH UL attached at the rings as directed, plus a piece of shock cord criss crossed from about the middle to the spreader bars. Perfect side fit, and now you don't have to worry so much about having the hammock length too short, too loose.

Some of my pictures are on a BMBH UL with connections at the rings, other on my old removable net full side model which attaches by loops on the hammock. Don't hesitate to call the Jacks, they will give you all the help you can use.

This is a BMBH UL with my MW3 convertible under it. My convertible is about an inch longer than my regular MW4, so it tends to hand a more loose when the hammock is at correct length, looser than my MW4. So I have to deal with the side gap more tham usual. Your regular MW3 should be correct length. Still, with this little mod usin an extra shock cord, all is perfect(if you look close in the middle you can see where the quilts foot end attaches to the quilts torso/head end:

Shock cord criss crossed in short mode:

Notice NO side gap using this extra shockcord with the MW3 convertible in full length mode under a BMBH UL:

This is not criss crossed, but just shockcord over the RL, but you can see it takes care of side gaps pretty well, and criss crfoss/catercorner works even better, but I dont seem to have a good picture of that in full length mode:

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Awesome, yea that definitely gives me some ideas. I knew you would come to the rescue regarding the Jacks bridge quilt combo.
    Thanks.
    Here is my gap.2015-02-21 14.31.57.jpg

Images
    That really doesn't look too bad but just might not be able to tell from the picture. Because I think my convertible model MW3 UQ is about an inch longer than my other regular MW4, the gap I get when hooking to the spreader bar rings is quite noticeable, especially if the distance between the outer rings or RL length is anywhere near the recommended. And not near as bad with my non-convertible MW4. Still, if a slight side gap worries you, easy enough to fix as per previous post. But also remember that the lower you go on the hammock, IOW down closer to the area where you will actually need something to make up for you TQ being compressed, the more the UQ will be in snug contact with the hammock bottom, even if there is a little bit of side gap near the top edges. I don't recall ever being cold with any of my JRB hammock/quilt combos even when I did not bother with the side gap. Good luck!

EDIT: BTW, all that extra UQ up above the edges of the hammock that you worried about? That is partially because the UL is I think about 4" more shallow than the deluxe model, so you are not as deep down inside the hammock. This give people more ability to see out of the hammock, and maybe a bit more shoulder room. But just think about if you get on your side and roll back into that side with your back in your sleep, you might be glad all that UQ is there. All though it is probably actually more than you need. But it is certain you will never have to worry about that common complaint of the edge slipping off of your shoulder or your feet or anywhere else, not gonna happen!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-24-2015 at 10:16.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    That is very true. I haven't actually tested it overnight at some low temps yet so I will have to wait and see.

• + New Posts