Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Introducing 0.66 oz MEMBRANE 10 ultralight fabric

Over the last six months or so I've been asked several times if we would ever be coming out with a 10D ultralight fabric. I've wanted to, but it was also important that we take our time and get it right. After several months of testing and collaboration, I am pleased to announce that we're there.

Today I'm proud to introduce MEMBRANE 10, our line of 0.66 oz/sq yd 10D ultralight taffeta nylon. While there are a few other 10D nylon fabrics on the market, MEMBRANE 10 stands out as a taffeta weave, IDFL tested downproof fabric. Without getting too heavy into the technical details (although feel free to ask me for more), our testing and experience have shown plain weave fabrics, specifically taffeta, to be superior in both feel/softness against the skin and downproofness compared to other style weaves (e.g. ripstop). When you combine that with the unique finishing process we've developed for all our calendered goods, you get MEMBRANE 10.

Similar to the Silpoly 2nd gen coated fabric, vendor collaboration was a very important part of the MEMBRANE 10 development. I would like to thank Paul and Missy from UGQ Outdoor Equipment for providing direction, early field testing, and feedback on sewability (yes, this is important ). In addition to the collaborative effort on development, UGQ is now actively using the MEMBRANE 10 fabric as the inner-shell for all their high-end quilts. I really love this type of vendor collaboration as it provides a means of getting real-world, field-use feedback in addition to the lab testing that we do at RBTR. In the end the community gets access to the absolute best fabric and in the case of UGQ, killer quilts.

Now to the fun part - COLORS. In total we'll be starting with 8 COLORS: Hunter Green, Khaki, Dark Olive, Black, Charcoal Gray, Navy Blue, Blaze Orange, and Coyote Brown. On the price, I know this is a new fabric and that 10D fabrics are expensive to begin with. That being said, I'm setting a special introductory price of $7.95 /yd for ONE-WEEK ONLY. Next Friday night 2/27 at midnight the price will be set to $9.95 /yd.

-> http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...-taffeta-nylon

MEMBRANE-10D-logo-2-no-UL-text.png

We hope to announce some other cool stuff to go along with the MEMBRANE 10 release in the next week, including a pretty sweet gear giveaway, so stay tuned.

Thank you
    Last edited by ripstopbytheroll; 02-20-2015 at 15:52.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images

Introducing 0.66 oz MEMBRANE 10 ultralight fabric

Nice. When will UGQ start rolling this out in their quilts. I've been waiting to place an order for top quilt with them. This is great to hear!

*Edit- saw the op said "actively"

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    WOOT!!! About time Kyle, I know you have been slammed lately and getting this dialed in was of utmost importance. Looking forward to getting the new colors in house to go with the Black, Charcoal, & Orange we have been working with.... FYI we branded ours illume10 and have been using it since Jan 2015 in production quilts. With Kyle's extensive knowledge of textiles we collaborated on this fabric resulting in an extensive in house testing program as well as proper independent lab test results. We will be aligning the naming to MEMBRANE10 to avoid any confusion for buyers as soon as I can update the website.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Very nice Kyle. You continue to impress...and lighten my wallet at the same time. You keep many of us continually excited to see what you bring us next to feed our addictions.

Keep up the good work!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Awesome.....keep it coming! I love it.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    This material is lighter than using bug net between the baffles.

So, there would be little waste.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

This sounds excellent Kyle and congratulations on the launch, I'm unreasonably excited by new quilt fabric launches. I do have a couple of questions though, firstly are the colours you are offering the same as those available from UGQ? i.e. UGQ offer charcoal gray, jet black and burnt orange, are these colours the same as your black, charcoal gray, black and blaze orange?

My next question is a pretty simple one; is the fabric calendered on one or both sides? And finally I guess this one is hard to answer but there's a trade off between breathability and windproofness, just wondering if you could comment on where Membrane 10 falls on that spectrum.

Cheers and good luck with the launch!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_qrt View Post
    This sounds excellent Kyle and congratulations on the launch, I'm unreasonably excited by new quilt fabric launches. I do have a couple of questions though, firstly are the colours you are offering the same as those available from UGQ? i.e. UGQ offer charcoal gray, jet black and burnt orange, are these colours the same as your black, charcoal gray, black and blaze orange?

My next question is a pretty simple one; is the fabric calendered on one or both sides? And finally I guess this one is hard to answer but there's a trade off between breathability and windproofness, just wondering if you could comment on where Membrane 10 falls on that spectrum.

Jet Black and Charcoal Grey should be exact match for Black and Grey since they came from the same production run. We ordered our Burnt Orange in first production run, Blaze Orange is from second production run and I'm awaiting sample to compare to our Burnt Orange. If a match we will be changing our name to Blaze Orange.

I'll let Kyle give details on the fabric finish, I can tell you it is amazingly soft and silky compared to other 10d fabrics we have worked with. First and foremost was down proof by construction requirements. we have tested a lot of 10d fabrics over the last 18 months and this has the best IFDL score we have seen for a 10d yet retains a GREAT hand and GREAT breath-ability. For our purposes this is the inner shell on both UQ and TQ, while it would also work as a outer shell IMHO the outer shell of any gear should have a higher denier and rip stop pattern. This provides better wind resistance and a more durable finish exposed to the elements.
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_qrt View Post

UGQ has worked with other 10D fabrics first-hand, so they can give great info on where MEMBRANE10 falls in the windproof/breathability spectrum. Only thing I would add is that based on all the 10D fabrics I've seen, including those being used by the big name brands, I feel MEMBRANE10 offers one of the best combinations of breathability AND downproofness available. I link those two because one thing some people do to achieve essentially 100% downproofness is put a sil or PU coating on the inner side of the fabric. Obviously this will significantly reduce the breathability.

We scored a 4/5 star rating on the first round of IDFL testing, which is the best I've seen for an uncoated 10D fabric. We've made some more tweaks to the finishing process that I think will bump that rating up even more. I'll be honest, it's fun trying to break the status quo and find ways to make things better . On MEMBRANE10, our finishing process does include steps for both sides of the fabric.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Here is a finished quilt with HyperD1.0 Olive Drab and Black MEMBRANE10.

As for how it compares to other 10d fabrics as Kyle indicated it has the best combinations of breath-ability, wind resistance AND downproofness we have seen in a 10d. MEMBRANE10 does have a satin finish on the face, this has a very nice feel against the skin and adds a LUXURY feel to the fabric. Some other 10d fabrics we have worked with have a very PLASTIC feel, Pertex GL is one of those. I'd put MEMBRANE10 up against Pertex GL anyday. I'll be interested to see how the tweaks improve the downproofness as at a 4 out of 5 it already scored very well even compared to some 15d and 20d fabrics we've had tested.
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast