Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly

Hammock questions from a newb

Been watching this site for a year or so, just recently registered.

This might not be the proper place to post such questions, so, move this if need be.

I'm looking to dive headfirst in getting some gear, WBBB DL 1.7, and Mamajamba tarp. I would probably only use it a few times a year, in late spring and summer, on long Jeep trips where packability isn't paramount. Would an UQ really be necessary in temps 60+? I can comfortably sleep on the ground in my bag into the 40s, but, I realize hanging is a whole 'nother proposition. Having a DL would allow the possibility of sliding in a pad, if necessary, I suppose, but I imagine the UQ would perform better.

I'm 5-10, 200, but I have a bad knee. I tore up my MCL a number of years back, and never really had it taken care of. Will an end gathered hammock such as the WBBB create any hyper extension issues? I've not had any pain from leaving my leg propped on my heel or anything like that, but, just wondering if spending the night in a hammock creates issues I've not thought of, and my knee would just exacerbate it.

Also, I generally sleep on my stomach while in bed, I assume that would be a real trick in a hammock, no?

Anyway, feel free to address anything or everything I brought up. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    You'll likely want some sort of insulation on your backside whether it be a CCF pad slipped between the layers of your hammock, or an UQ even at 60°F. Sleeping on the ground and sleeping in a hammock are two completely different experiences with respect to insulation. If you went the UQ route, probably a summer weight partial length quilt would be more than sufficient, or even a poncho liner quilt.

As far as your knee goes, I've found that slipping a rolled up sweatshirt or something under my knees is more than enough to mitigate any hyper extension problems that may occur. You're probably not going to be sleeping on your stomach in the hammock, but for what it's worth, I'm usually a side sleeper in my bed, but once I lay down in my hammock and get cozy on my back, I don't tend to move until I wake up in the morning.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow (Double)
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    My secondary hammock is an eno double nest. I have at JRB Mt. Washington UQ. I have used it in my basement at 65 degrees and outside down to about 25 degrees. I have been comfortable in each. I am a warm sleeper but i need the underquilt if its cooler than 70.

I am a side sleeper and with knees bent so if you are on your side i don't see a problem with you knee. Stomach sleeping might prove difficult.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Good idea on the rolled up sweatshirt. I never even thought of stuffing something under my knee. I guess that's why I asked!

I kinda thought I might need some insulation. I might even be able to fashion something out of an old down sleeping bag I have.

I didn't figure sleeping on my stomach would be possible, but side sleeping is possible? That hadn't crossed my mind. When I crash out in my recliner, I too pretty much just stay put. I don't know why I always end up on my belly in bed. Maybe the bed leaves me uncomfortable on my back?

So, another question... Would the standard webbing and buckles that come with a WBBB tie off the the roll bar of a Jeep well? On our last trip, two guys tied off to the same tree, but, also tied off to their respective Jeeps. I thought it was neat, and they looked much more comfortable than I in my bivy. That's what led me to decide on getting a hammock.
    Last edited by CharlieHo; 02-19-2015 at 21:27.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Yes, side sleeping is possible and quite comfortable as well.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Test it out in your home, yard, or nearby camping park first. See https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ammock-nirvana.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I am someone who doesn't think a underquilt is necessary if you are only going down to 60 degrees. I have camped several times in those temps with nothing but a windshield visor as my "pad". I do think you need something so you don't feel the cold but an inexpensive pad should do the trick. You can also add a windbreak like a military poncho hung under your hammock as well.

I am a colder sleeper and just got a underquilt and it is awesome but just don't think you need to spend that kind of money at those temps. YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am belly sleeper at home also, well end up that way. But in my hammock I sleep very well on my back & side (better in fact). I tie off to my mini-van's roof rack and a tree at certain campsites and it works fine. Now insulation, I have had CBS (cold butt syndrome) on pretty warm nights. If $ is a factor, The car visor works well for a friend of mine, I bought a blue pad for my nephew and cut it down to size and he can sleep comfortably in pretty cold weather. I like UQ's. Shorter & thinner for warm nights , long & thick for cold. Just a preference. But it costs more.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieHo View Post
    ...Would an UQ really be necessary in temps 60+?

...Will an end gathered hammock such as the WBBB create any hyper extension issues?

...I generally sleep on my stomach while in bed...
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    I am someone who doesn't think a underquilt is necessary if you are only going down to 60 degrees. I have camped several times in those temps with nothing but a windshield visor as my "pad". I do think you need something so you don't feel the cold but an inexpensive pad should do the trick. You can also add a windbreak like a military poncho hung under your hammock as well.

I am a colder sleeper and just got a underquilt and it is awesome but just don't think you need to spend that kind of money at those temps. YMMV.
    This might be a matter of semantics, but an UQ is never "necessary" - it is purely an option that insulates your backside more efficiently than anything else. What is necessary is insulation, in whatever form. Windshield Visor = 55 degree UQ (thereabouts). MV is correct to point out that controlling wind is an important part of staying warm.

As for your knees... I found the WBBB to be better than a regular gathered end hammock when it comes to knee hyperextension. I put my down jacket or something in a 14" long stuff sack and that does the trick under my knees (I don't use a BB now), but before I started doing that, I never found it to be a huge issue.

Side sleeping is not a problem, but for me it typically involves pulling one or more of my knees up. I find that in a hammock, I'm asleep on my back for so long, that my body gets tired of being in that position and I wake, having to get on my side to go back to sleep, where I end up on my back again. I think, actually, its a mental thing regarding my toss & turn habits at home - the body just wants to get some of that routine in. Stomach, no, and I do that at home a lot. Don't miss it in the hammock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I've actually had surgery on both of my knees from torn ACL's and all of the input above is correct. I don't usually need anything under my knees but it's no big deal to toss a t-shirt or a jacket under them to solve the problem on the few occassions where I've needed it. Also, not only is side sleeping possible, but I find that in a hammock I can actually sleep in a position somwhere between my side and back and still be comfortable with one knee up. That's a position that you just can't get in a bed. I also find that I sleep much better on my back in a hammock than in a bed. It's a totally different experience and I find I don't miss sleeping on my stomach in a hammock. I do, however, wake up at times in the night (much like dakotaross) not because of discomfort, but because my body is used to tossing and turning at night in my bed at home. It's a phsycological thing that you have to get used to. It is infinitely more comfortable than sleeping on the ground!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast