Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Good luck. Leaving soon myself as soon as my last meeting is over. Gear's in the car. Leaving from Charlotte, so Heading up to either Stone or South mountain. Will decide when I buckle up. Burr.

Enjoy the AT. Should be nice.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk75 View Post
    Got to Hot Springs Friday at about 5PM, three of us had to book it up the mountain. Got camp area set up and fire going on the peak of the mountain right as sun was going down. It started sleeting/severe wind and snow around midnight, stayed relatively warm. Will probably plan a better weekend next time, was hard to get around when everything was frozen!
    I'm jealous of you both... Enjoy it out there.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad->TQUQ
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    The Brevard area (and surrounding areas you mention) ... There are some great car spots along Yellow Gap Rd (gravel) between Brevard and Mills River. You can have a fire at either of those and water is nearby (very near) on both.
    I'm going to be traveling through this area and would like to hammock camp one night. Since I'll be passing through, car camping via 2WD sedan is best. A gravel road is fine, as long as I don't need 4WD. I've found this Yellow Gap Rd on Google Maps. Is the camping spot near Thompson Creek?

I also found where there was a hang a few weeks ago in this area, but that 8 page thread didn't ever provide specifics on where it was held. Any suggestions, with specifics that I can find on Google Maps would be appreciated. Access to water is not essential, but I always enjoy camping near a stream.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bonefire Whisper
    Suspension
    Bonfire Deluxe
    Images
    Tundracamper,
    Yellow Gap rd has several roadside campsites as well as several trails if one wanted to get off the road a bit.
    It is a gravel road but it usually stays in pretty decent shape. Should be passable with 2wd.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by tundracamper View Post
    I'm going to be traveling through this area and would like to hammock camp one night. Since I'll be passing through, car camping via 2WD sedan is best. A gravel road is fine, as long as I don't need 4WD. I've found this Yellow Gap Rd on Google Maps. Is the camping spot near Thompson Creek?

I also found where there was a hang a few weeks ago in this area, but that 8 page thread didn't ever provide specifics on where it was held. Any suggestions, with specifics that I can find on Google Maps would be appreciated. Access to water is not essential, but I always enjoy camping near a stream.

Thanks!
    I've driven that road many times in a 2wd car. Only a few spots you even have to dodge potholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumpyro View Post
    Tundracamper,
    Yellow Gap rd has several roadside campsites as well as several trails if one wanted to get off the road a bit.
    It is a gravel road but it usually stays in pretty decent shape. Should be passable with 2wd.
    What TiPyro said. You'll have your pick of sites along the road. There are a few right next to a great little stream, Bradley Fork I think it's called.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad->TQUQ
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    I've driven that road many times in a 2wd car. Only a few spots you even have to dodge potholes.

What TiPyro said. You'll have your pick of sites along the road. There are a few right next to a great little stream, Bradley Fork I think it's called.
    Apparently after the last winter storm nobody informed that rangers that with temps of 65F and a sunny day that ice is not going to be a problem. All of the roads were quite dry. HOWEVER, the gates to ALL of the Forest Service roads were locked. I tried Yellow Gap road from the west end and Mills River road from the east end. I stopped by the ranger station in the early afternoon yesterday on the way out to inquire and even it was locked. There was a small sign that said the roads were locked due to ice on February 25th. Yesterday it was sunny, dry, and warm. Apparently, all of the rangers were off on Saturday and nobody had time to unlock the gates. So, I just moved on. Total waste of taxpayer money!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Apparently after the last winter storm nobody informed that rangers that with temps of 65F and a sunny day that ice is not going to be a problem. All of the roads were quite dry. HOWEVER, the gates to ALL of the Forest Service roads were locked. I tried Yellow Gap road from the west end and Mills River road from the east end. I stopped by the ranger station in the early afternoon yesterday on the way out to inquire and even it was locked. There was a small sign that said the roads were locked due to ice on February 25th. Yesterday it was sunny, dry, and warm. Apparently, all of the rangers were off on Saturday and nobody had time to unlock the gates. So, I just moved on. Total waste of taxpayer money!!
    Bummer man.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Same thing happened to me last year. Big disappointment for sure!
    Yes, rangers sometimes close the road during late winter and early Spring (there is no set schedule - it is weather-driven). There is a good reason for this. The repeated freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing weather conditions soften the roadbeds to the point that vehicles quickly turn them into rutted mush. The roads are closed during this type of weather to avoid having to completely rebuild them each year after the freeze/thaw type weather is over. The policy, though inconvenient and impossible to plan around, Actually saves a lot of money in the annual budget and keeps the roads passable using 2wd passenger vehicles for the rest of the year.

Sorry tundracamper, i too have been disappointed in the same way and know it is no fun. If I'd known you were headed there this particular weekend then you would have been welcome to camp with us in a nearby area.
    Send a PM next time and we'll gladly try to help.
    Last edited by Loki; 03-09-2015 at 15:51.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12