BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by darton View Post
    The nylon I bought was in the "oops" bin at the fabric store. It's rip stop I think. It has the small grid pattern woven into it. I did the suck test on it and only got air around my goatee, and I put in in a cup and filled it w/ O2 no leaks or seaping. There's only 1 1/2 yards to practice with before I start a tarp. I thin I'll make a couple ditty bags. Ohh and the nylon is black and has a matte finish to one side of it. Sil or DWR?
    sounds like dwr, most likely that's what it is. Making ditty bags is a great use of the fabric and it'll get you into practice for working with this type of material. This stuff seems to have teeny tiny legs and when you're not looking (sometimes even when you are) it will get up and slide off your work table!! Some things I've found that work..... use paper weights to hold it down! Also, do not put pins in it to hold it together, they only add more holes that water will go through. Purchase some cord-locks and try adding a casing at the top of your bags for a cord. If you want to seal the seams (more good practice for your later tarp makeing) use clear 100% sylicone chalk from Lowes. Find it in the smallest tube you can and you only have to squeeze it out and replace the cap. Squeeze it right onto the seams and push it in with your finger tip. Wipe with a dry paper towel. A little goes a long way. Let sit without anything touching seams over night. I've made lots of bags in lots of different sizes. Always finding a use for them, stake bag, personal items bag, clothes bag (turns into pillow bag at night), food bag, just make the bags in different configuations and you'll find a use for them. Oh, almost forgot, make sure when you sew a seam, to go back and put another seam right next to it for added insurance that it will hold. What I do is sew the first seam, then fold down the raw edges and sew it down right next to the first seam.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    <snip> use clear 100% sylicone chalk from Lowes.
    Their 100% silicone caulk works well, too!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB 11'x10' Spinn
    Insulation
    HSSniv MtWash3
    Suspension
    webbing Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by darton View Post
    I had a hammock back when I was a boy scout and loved it.
    Welcome, cool that you hammocked as a Boy Scout. In 'burbs of Washington, DC, ground dwelling is de rigueur (as is car camping, ugh). At a Boy Scouts "round table" (adult leader) meeting last night, someone told me Philmont disallows hammocks because it's not LNT!
    ..Mike the Weed Warrior bio // Think globally, act locally: Remove an invasive plant

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12