DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Shout out to Dale

Just wanted to thank Dale for his help assisting me with my purchase of Polar Pod. Dale was super nice, very helpful and cared enough to follow up after the sale with helpful info about the pod. Thanks again, Kurt. BTW The Polar Pod is amazing!!!!!!!!! tested at 15 degrees today and I was hot.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Just wanted to thank Dale for his help assisting me with my purchase of Polar Pod. Dale was super nice, very helpful and cared enough to follow up after the sale with helpful info about the pod. Thanks again, Kurt. BTW The Polar Pod is amazing!!!!!!!!! tested at 15 degrees today and I was hot.
    Hey Krs, give us more details when you get them! Sounds great! Warm at 15F? Any other quilts or clothing to fill the gaps, if you had gaps?

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    BillyBob58, The Pod has 6 oz overstuff, I was comfy without a TQ, but I did try it with my 30 degree HG burrow and was toasty. It will be going down to -7 on Thursday night, so that will be the real test.

Images
    That sure will be a test all right. Can't wait to see how you do. That is quite a bit below the rating, though I realize you have a good bit of over stuff. Just remember all the easy pod tricks. Obviously, adding other quilts or clothing laid on top or under you rather than worn. You already know about that of course. Also, shifting down around as needed. And the more closed up you can stand it, the warmer. I swear closing all or mostly adds 20* over having even a small breathing vent. Once I went(with a PeaPod) from barely warm enough to toasty just by closing up pretty much all the way. To my surprise, I got no apparent condensation.

People just don't know what they are missing with these things. The only reason I don't use pods exclusively is I like bridge hammocks, plus the closest thing to a pods performance- for me- are JRB UQs/TQs on BMBHs.

After some more testing, I'd like your insight about how easy- or not- it is to keep warm overall compared to non-pod approaches. I am currently pod-less, but I am constantly tempted to get another one.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-18-2015 at 22:29.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Update for ya Billybob, I when out last night at 12:00 in 10 degree temps all i had on was cotton PJ bottoms and a synthetic T. On my feet REI down booties. I slept all night without a blanket. The only spot that I felt a slight chill at was the velcro along the top but I think I may have had a few spots where it was unevenly closed. I woke up at 8 am temps 18 degrees and just started snowing. Did i mention I didn't put up a tarp . I was expecting to need a TQ or a hot water bottle but nope. There was no wind but i don't think i would even feel the wind threw this thing. as far as venting i did close it up for a bit but had a small maybe 6" hole open let moisture out but the ends work like chimneys if they are open even just an inch or two. Excellent product to bad more people don't know about them. BTW I did have to do the suspension mod to hold it up on the hammock. I think this might have to be a standard upgrade on these things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Wow, very impressive IMO. What is the total weight including over stuff? If I ever get another one I may have to do that mod, but I never really had any problems with the standard system. But sounds like the mod might even work better if that's possible LOL.

A 6" vent is pretty big, plenty big enough to let lot's of warm air out and cold air in. But looks like it was not a problem. Warm in PJs at 10-18F, finally snowing and no tarp? Still warm? Are you joking? LOL! In my experience with the PeaPod, closing that vent down almost completely took me from a little cool on top to toasty warm all over, so sounds to me like you did the 10-18F with your hands tied behind your back. Don't know about you, but I am always amazed that there is not more interest in this approach, it works so good every time with so little fiddle factor! Well. for me anyway. I've been trying to convince folks for over 7 years. But I think you are in the process of confirming something I have been saying for a long time" You just don't see many threads titled like: "Cold in my pod above the rated temp"". Even though such success requires understanding the potential top gap issues, I don't think I have ever seen that thread. Speaking of which: did you have much top gap? Oh, and what hammock are you using it with?

So I think I remember you have used more than one system in the past. What do you think about the ease of keeping warm with this system vs other systems? About the same? Easier with this system?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-21-2015 at 21:36.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Did not have any top gap, the top laid down on me like a blanket I think the suspension mod has a little to do with that. Other systems I have used are a full under quilt and a long top quilt rated to 30. I am very cold at 30 with this set up 40 would be more accurate. I get air gaps along my sides that wake me using a TQ & UQ. I have no intention of giving up my TQ and UQ they are my 3 season set up but for the cold Polarpod all the way.
    Last edited by krshome; 02-22-2015 at 07:29.

• + New Posts