DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Underquilt for Clark TX-250

Can anyone give me some advice for a good length and width for an underquilt that will work well with my hammock? I have a Jarbidge synthetic underquilt and I like it but I like to go with something in a high quality down. The Jarbidge is 58 inches long and probably long enough. Most full length underquilts I've found are 78 inches long and thats maybe a little too long.

Anyhow if you have a TX-250 what down underquilt works well for you?

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Webbing and chain
    Litetrek - many good products out there. I have toiled over this very subject for several years as a NX250 owner. I own the Jacks R Better Mount Washington 4 and it has performed extremely well. It is an outstanding fit and is well made. I am considering purchasing the MW3 because I just don't think I need all the R value the MW4 provides in the other 3 seasons in my mountains. Now with that said, I believe that the ultimate solution is the JRB MW3 with a mated band of velcro to attach to your TX250. If I was handy with a machine I would have done it already. Attached pic is from North Fork John Day Wilderness...it was 25 at night and 50 at day...was toasty warm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
    Litetrek - many good products out there. I have toiled over this very subject for several years as a NX250 owner. I own the Jacks R Better Mount Washington 4 and it has performed extremely well. It is an outstanding fit and is well made. I am considering purchasing the MW3 because I just don't think I need all the R value the MW4 provides in the other 3 seasons in my mountains. Now with that said, I believe that the ultimate solution is the JRB MW3 with a mated band of velcro to attach to your TX250. If I was handy with a machine I would have done it already. Attached pic is from North Fork John Day Wilderness...it was 25 at night and 50 at day...was toasty warm.
    That's helpful to some degree, thanks. One thing about having a Clark ... ask a question and not too many people respond. I also thought about adding the velcro down the sides....its a good idea provided the width is right. Too wide and the underquilt hangs too much. Too narrow and the underquilt insulation and loft is compressed. The Jarbidge doesn't seal well on the sides with the Clark due to the poles. I could modify that in some way but because its so bulky i'd rather get something else. What I like about it is that its only 58 inches long. I'm 6 feet tall and thats long enough for me. Most full length underquilts are for 11 foot DIY hammocks and they are too long (too heavy) for a Clark, at least in my opinion. The 3/4 lengths are too short for a Clark.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
    The TX-250 has a wide bed size. It is 50.25 inches wide. The NX-250 is the same width. The JRB underquilts are 42 inches wide, so sewing a strip of velcro lengthwise on one isn't going to workunless I'm missing something obvious. Am I missing something?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I no longer have a Clark but when I did I made the DIY that fit pretty well. This quilt was 46" wide by 100" long. I would think that any rectangular quilt from 46" - 50" should fit pretty good. I used velcro along the edges and tied up the end as the photo shows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I no longer have a Clark but when I did I made the DIY that fit pretty well. This quilt was 46" wide by 100" long. I would think that any rectangular quilt from 46" - 50" should fit pretty good. I used velcro along the edges and tied up the end as the photo shows.
    I remember that...it was a nice job. I think that down would compress to a point that it would develop cold spots if you tried to fit a 46 inch width to a 50 inch width since something's gotta give. It seems it would be less of an issue with a woobie which isn't that compressible.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Anyone else? I got one recommendation for a JRB Mt Washington 3.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Clark
    Suspension
    Webbing and chain
    Passinthru - thanks for the past help with the WBRR questions I have had. Hey that UQ looks brilliant, great work. I am of the opinion, none of it based on material facts of course, that your custom UQ can actually achieve a higher R value with less thickness as you seem to have better control over air leaking. The seal certainly reduces air movement...I would think. Do you have any thumbnail ideas about its comparative performance to all of our shock-cord UQ systems?

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I have the NX-150 and use the Clark Underquilt (Z-Liner) with good results to about 30*. They make one for the 250 as well. They are using Climashield Apex, which is an improvement over the one i have which should add a bit more. It velcro's right around the hammock. I haven't tried another UQ on my Clark yet.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    Nevermind, i should have read your post more closely. Ignore what i said.
    Discretion is the better of valor

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast