Hammock
    TX-270/Sparrow/DIY
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Here is a very helpful reply to an email I sent to UGQ earlier this year. I had emailed them looking for an under-quilt that I could use on my XLC as well as my TX-270. I just tried a version of this mod using paracord, buckles, etc...things I had lying around the house. I haven't slept in it yet but it 'looks' to be a good all around fit.:

Thank you for your interest in UGQ, we've been working hard to make a great product and provide the best service we can. Let's answer you questions for you on the best UQ for the Clark as all the Zeppelin UQs work very well with the WBBB XLC or Std WBBB or any gathered end hammock for that matter.

The Clack NX poses some unique issues since it is a hybrid bridge/gathered end hammock. First is the max length on the UQ you can use before issues arise, we typically recommend the 7/8 UQ then use a pillow of foot pad for the remaining extremities. The 7/8 seems to fit the spreader bar system better than the FULL. You can also use a FULL but a bit more fiddling will be needed. A 3/4 fits with no problem but obviously has a reduced coverage area.. The LONG UQ is just too long to work with the hybrid bridge/gathered end hammock resulting in a less than optimal fit.

Regardless of length, 7/8 or FULL, you will need a small mod to the hammock, this is a non permanent mod involving shock cord and some hardware. You'll need to following:

2 - 36-42" length 1/8" Shock Cord

2 - med S-Biners or Mini Carabiners

4 Small S-Biners or Mitten Hooks

4 Small Cord Locks

Instructions:

Take SC and fold in half, tie a simple over hand knot (Do with both pieces)

Add 1 Med S-Biner or Mini Carabiner to the loop formed by the over hand knot

At each end of SC add mitten hook of small s-biner all four location and cordlock.

Tie a stopper knot on the end of SC if desired to prevent cordlock from coming off completely.

Attach Med S-biner with SC to hammock using the very center spreader bar loop, do this at both the head and foot end

Attach mitten hooks to all 4 corners of the UQ and adjust tension to "Pull" the quilt open at the ends.

That's pretty much it, you'll need to dial remaining suspension, primary & secondary into the hammock but the addition of the above should "Open" the quilt to match the bridge profile. We could probably include the "Clark Kit" consisting of the above hardware with your order for a nominal fee.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutyones View Post
    Here is a very helpful reply to an email I sent to UGQ earlier this year. I had emailed them looking for an under-quilt that I could use on my XLC as well as my TX-270. I just tried a version of this mod using paracord, buckles, etc...things I had lying around the house. I haven't slept in it yet but it 'looks' to be a good all around fit.:

Thank you for your interest in UGQ, we've been working hard to make a great product and provide the best service we can. Let's answer you questions for you on the best UQ for the Clark as all the Zeppelin UQs work very well with the WBBB XLC or Std WBBB or any gathered end hammock for that matter.

The Clack NX poses some unique issues since it is a hybrid bridge/gathered end hammock. First is the max length on the UQ you can use before issues arise, we typically recommend the 7/8 UQ then use a pillow of foot pad for the remaining extremities. The 7/8 seems to fit the spreader bar system better than the FULL. You can also use a FULL but a bit more fiddling will be needed. A 3/4 fits with no problem but obviously has a reduced coverage area.. The LONG UQ is just too long to work with the hybrid bridge/gathered end hammock resulting in a less than optimal fit.

Regardless of length, 7/8 or FULL, you will need a small mod to the hammock, this is a non permanent mod involving shock cord and some hardware. You'll need to following:

4 Small Cord Locks

Instructions:

At each end of SC add mitten hook of small s-biner all four location and cordlock.

Tie a stopper knot on the end of SC if desired to prevent cordlock from coming off completely.

Attach Med S-biner with SC to hammock using the very center spreader bar loop, do this at both the head and foot end

Attach mitten hooks to all 4 corners of the UQ and adjust tension to "Pull" the quilt open at the ends.

That's pretty much it, you'll need to dial remaining suspension, primary & secondary into the hammock but the addition of the above should "Open" the quilt to match the bridge profile. We could probably include the "Clark Kit" consisting of the above hardware with your order for a nominal fee.
    Thanks. That's helpful and more than I've gotten elsewhere so I really appreciate it. But, it doesn't really address the issues I've had with my underquilt (which is similar) gapping open along the edges. There's always a best way to hang a particular underquilt (as this appears to be since its recommended by UGQ), but it still doesn't ensure that it will work well. I don't see how that eliminates the loose flappy nature of the sides of a quilt stretched between the two hoop tabs.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutyones View Post
    4 Small Cord Locks
    Instructions:
    Attach Med S-biner with SC to hammock using the very center spreader bar loop, do this at both the head and foot end. (I skipped the 'biners, just larkshead the SC to the guy-outs at the tops of the hoops)
    This is what I do in addition to clipping the quilt triangle rings to the guy-outs at the pole pockets

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    TX-270/Sparrow/DIY
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Thanks. That's helpful and more than I've gotten elsewhere so I really appreciate it. But, it doesn't really address the issues I've had with my underquilt (which is similar) gapping open along the edges. There's always a best way to hang a particular underquilt (as this appears to be since its recommended by UGQ), but it still doesn't ensure that it will work well. I don't see how that eliminates the loose flappy nature of the sides of a quilt stretched between the two hoop tabs.
    I spent a lot of time messing around with this over the weekend and it looks like it will work well but the temperatures weren't low enough for a true test. It seems that when I got in the hammock the loose edges tightened up just fine. The only other fail safe I can think of after this modification is to attach Velcro to the UQ so it can be attached right to the hammock. Snug as a bug... I understand your concern that there is no guarantee but after fiddling around this weekend I'm confident I'll be able to get mine to work.

Hammock
    TX-270/Sparrow/DIY
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Just an update for the OP. I tested the modification this weekend and it worked great. Granted it only got down to the low 40's but I was very comfortable. I had one cold spot in the middle of my back but I have a feeling that was a set up/adjustment error.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I got a little news from UGQ about underquilts.

Hey Brian,
    No problem sharing the email on HF, may help out some other folks.
    We now own a NX-250 so you should be seeing a dedicated UQ in the next few months.

THANK YOU!!!!
    Paul & Missy
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

Hey Brian,
    We now own a NX-250 so you should be seeing a dedicated UQ in the next few months.

THANK YOU!!!!
    Paul & Missy
    This interests me greatly as I'm in the marker for a 0' UQ..

Hammock
    Tropical Ultra, Mark2, NX-270
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

Hey Brian,

THANK YOU!!!!
    Paul & Missy
    Love it! Have the Z-liner its good for the money and what I use it for. Need a better UQ.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by 84Hanger View Post
    Love it! Have the Z-liner its good for the money and what I use it for. Need a better UQ.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
    This ^^^^^

I see both a UQ and OQ in my future..

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL.
    Insulation
    Z-Liner UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    Yes!!! I have been waiting for this exact bit of news. Looking forward to it.
    The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only paradise we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need, if only we had eyes to see.
    - Edward Abbey

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast