Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Classic
    Insulation
    mummy, so far ...
    Suspension
    webbing / whoopies

first (cold!) hang in NC

enjoyed my first real overnight hang with my 8-year-old son (a young scout) last night. right in the back yard where we were able to escape back indoors if the need arose. got down to 16F and wind was howling, but we made it through unscathed. my son says he never got cold, and i might have said the same if i didn't need to get up to relieve myself. 3 times.

i've read so much from these forums and am very thankful for the experience and guidance provided here. using what i've learned here, i chose to purchase a hennessy expedition and a cub for my son. the velcro entry system is really an interesting idea, and it does work - but so far i think i like the cub's side zipper better. some of my clothing catches on the velcro, and the whole thing is really a bugger to open with gloves and/or frozen thingers and fumbs. the zipper was pretty simple to deal with in comparison.

i replaced the hennessy ropes with self-made whoopie slings, and moved the tarp to its own 550 ridgeline. i successfully used prussic knots/loops to keep everything tight through the windy night. it took a bit of playing to figure out how/where the attachment points to the trees needed to be in order to keep the two ridgelines in close proximity. with the very minimal included tarps, everything had to be quite close to have any hopes of blocking the wind. i attached the whoopie slings to the tree straps using marlin spike hitches. works great once you have tension, but without tension they just pop right off (so the first one was a bear).

we slept on el-cheap-o walmart blue camping mats, and covered with unzipped +5F mummy bags. i eventually zipped myself up inside, but my son says he didn't. holy bat baloney, was it a PITA to get situated on top of the mat. you know, all 4 times, and particularly while zipped inside the mummy bag. i'd love to ditch the mats and replace them with under quilts, but that presents two problems: they seem to be quite expensive, and and i have no idea how to make that work with the hennessy velcro entry. recommendations on these two points will be gladly welcomed. and in the end we'll need to outfit 4 hammocks - one each of the expeditions (myself and my wife) and two each of the cubs (son and daughter) - so the cost of the quilts add up quickly.

based on recommendation, i have the tarps packed in the snakeskins (in case things get wet). the theory was to stow the hammocks in our backpacks (they fit!) with the bags still inside (doesn't fit!) ... recommendations here are welcomed as well, remembering that we're hoping to do quite a bit of this in scouting in the coming years.

overall i'm very happy with what we have - despite the rediculously cold weather (for 'round here at least) my night was way more comfortable that what experienced so far in ground tents. but the pad and bag situation is a real hassle, and i feel like i have a long way to go with figuring out how to properly pack everything. i also have the self-inflating therm-a-rest pads, but don't see those being any different than the cheap walmart blue mats.

looking forward to trying again and figuring things out - and to hearing your recommendations too.

so ... thanks again for all the great stuff so far - and happy to be putting it to good use in the great state of nawth cackalacky!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Nice job getting out (and surviving) the cold NC temps.
    My daughter and I were thinking of backpacking, but I didn't feel like testing the lower end of my gear.
    I don't have any hennessey expertise, hopefully somebody can answer your questions.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpeapody View Post
    enjoyed my first real overnight hang with my 8-year-old son (a young scout) last night. right in the back yard where we were able to escape back indoors if the need arose. got down to 16F and wind was howling, but we made it through unscathed. my son says he never got cold, and i might have said the same if i didn't need to get up to relieve myself. 3 times.

i've read so much from these forums and am very thankful for the experience and guidance provided here. using what i've learned here, i chose to purchase a hennessy expedition and a cub for my son. the velcro entry system is really an interesting idea, and it does work - but so far i think i like the cub's side zipper better. some of my clothing catches on the velcro, and the whole thing is really a bugger to open with gloves and/or frozen thingers and fumbs. the zipper was pretty simple to deal with in comparison.

i replaced the hennessy ropes with self-made whoopie slings, and moved the tarp to its own 550 ridgeline. i successfully used prussic knots/loops to keep everything tight through the windy night. it took a bit of playing to figure out how/where the attachment points to the trees needed to be in order to keep the two ridgelines in close proximity. with the very minimal included tarps, everything had to be quite close to have any hopes of blocking the wind. i attached the whoopie slings to the tree straps using marlin spike hitches. works great once you have tension, but without tension they just pop right off (so the first one was a bear).

we slept on el-cheap-o walmart blue camping mats, and covered with unzipped +5F mummy bags. i eventually zipped myself up inside, but my son says he didn't. holy bat baloney, was it a PITA to get situated on top of the mat. you know, all 4 times, and particularly while zipped inside the mummy bag. i'd love to ditch the mats and replace them with under quilts, but that presents two problems: they seem to be quite expensive, and and i have no idea how to make that work with the hennessy velcro entry. recommendations on these two points will be gladly welcomed. and in the end we'll need to outfit 4 hammocks - one each of the expeditions (myself and my wife) and two each of the cubs (son and daughter) - so the cost of the quilts add up quickly.

based on recommendation, i have the tarps packed in the snakeskins (in case things get wet). the theory was to stow the hammocks in our backpacks (they fit!) with the bags still inside (doesn't fit!) ... recommendations here are welcomed as well, remembering that we're hoping to do quite a bit of this in scouting in the coming years.

overall i'm very happy with what we have - despite the rediculously cold weather (for 'round here at least) my night was way more comfortable that what experienced so far in ground tents. but the pad and bag situation is a real hassle, and i feel like i have a long way to go with figuring out how to properly pack everything. i also have the self-inflating therm-a-rest pads, but don't see those being any different than the cheap walmart blue mats.

looking forward to trying again and figuring things out - and to hearing your recommendations too.

so ... thanks again for all the great stuff so far - and happy to be putting it to good use in the great state of nawth cackalacky!
    Ya'll were some brave hangers if you were out in that wind last night. My face would have frozen off with all that cold air whipping through. I can't say I've ever slept cold, but the bathroom breaks make for some really cold parts getting back in the hammock. Of course I wouldn't dare hang in weather below 30 just because of that. Talk about freezing your a$$ off. I hope you can invest in an underquilt sometime in the near future. If you go to any group hangs with raffles, sometimes they have nice underquilts and top quilts in the raffles. They also have gift certificates for nice amounts you can win to help cut down on the cost of getting one. Good luck, stay warm. Hope to see you at a future hang. Try the Smoke Butt Hang in May. We'd love to meet you and your family. It'll be nice and warm then.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Welcome from Garner, NC. We are having a heatwave here today. It is up to 28 now and might break 32 today. Might be as warm as it gets this week. You should bring your son and join in the fun of a group hang soon.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sounds like you have a bottom entry hennessy. Arrowhead makes a great quilt for that....http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Insulation
    mummy, so far ...
    Suspension
    webbing / whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Sounds like you have a bottom entry hennessy. Arrowhead makes a great quilt for that....http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html
    i do indeed, though the cub hammocks are side entry. the arrowhead sounds like a fit, but wow $$ ... i suppose it works with the bottom entry system because it's attached with shock cord farther out, allowing me to shove it out of my way when entering and then it springing back into place after i'm out of the way. will have to look into it further.

and i'm sure this is already covered elsewhere, but ... if could manage to find a decent flat/square bag, could i not hang it roughly the same way? my mummy is phenomenally warm (proven saturday night) and cost me roughly 1/5 the price shown on the arrowhead site. and given an under quilt, i just crawl right into the hammock and no longer deal with the pad - correct? that would almost be worth the money to me given my hardships the other night ... though perhaps i just need practice.

and another thing, which is not directly related to hammocking ... let's say i get the under quilt, over quilt, and whatever else ... the stuff sacks these things come in are relatively large. how does one carry all this stuff into the woods? do they hang from molle loops? i'm envisioning a walking version of the clampett move to the big city ... as much as i've read and as many youtube clips as i've seen, i've yet to read/see that little tidbit. or maybe i just missed it while specifically looking for other information.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Good gear does cost but if taken care of, can last for years. The Terminator ( my wife ) and I are still using sleeping bags we bought in the 70's. The were top of the line back then and we still use them today while some cheap bags we bought for the kids fell apart a just a couple of years.

Most hangers who do a lot of hiking will invest in down UQs and TQ as they weigh less and compact to a smaller size for backpacking. If I am carrying synthetic TQ/UQ then I place them in a compression bag and strap to the outside of the pack.

If you can sew you can modify a sleeping bag but it comes down to how well can you sew, how good are you are modifying gear and what does is your time worth. Cheap gear ( sleeping bags ) are going to be bulky and heavy and the ratings on them are rarely accurate.

Strongly recommend you attend a group hammock hang ( there are several coming up here in NC) and attend one. You will be able to check out lots of different setups and talk to the users and find out why they use the gear they do.

Watch the For Sale section of the forum as folks are always selling gear and you can get some good deals.

Hammock
    Insulation
    mummy, so far ...
    Suspension
    webbing / whoopies
    great information, thanks. our calendar is packed with scouts and school stuff, but the group hammock hangs sound like something we could really get into. for a good 10 years we were really into group vw bus campouts. the kids absolutely love that kind of thing. but then the kids got bigger and the vw bus didn't, so ...

do the down items suffer from being left in compression sacks the same way the synthetics do? and you specifically mentioned synthetics in compression sacks hanging outside your pack; was that because even compressed they don't fit in your pack whereas the down items do fit inside?

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome "welcome"
    I too, have a HH bottom entry Ultralight Explorer so I bought a JRB Nest underquilt which worked great in Jan. with temps in the teens and winds clocked up to 60 mph. This was at Grayson/Highlands State Park, VA. My 0* REI 800 fp bag was fine although I had a base layer plus Down booties and Patagonia down jacket. I also bought the WB SuperFly tarp which will greatly reduce the wind effects. If the weather ever breaks, and the night temps stay in the 40's I want to try a Reflectix mat I made out of a windshield sun shade in my L.L. Bean 35* bag with a S2S Cool Max mummy liner.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    do the down items suffer from being left in compression sacks the same way the synthetics do?
    It is not good to store down or synthetics in compression sack. The only time I carry either in a compress state is when backpacking. At home they are stored in large storage bags or left spread out on top of a bed.

and you specifically mentioned synthetics in compression sacks hanging outside your pack; was that because even compressed they don't fit in your pack whereas the down items do fit inside?
    The synthetics took up too much space in my pack even when compressed so I carried them on the outside of my backpack in a compression bag. Down items will compress more than synthetics so it is easier to carry them inside a pack. Many of us will carry a 3/4 length UQ when backpacking as it will weigh less and compress smaller than a full length UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast