Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MS > Black Creek Trail, DeSoto National Forest - March 2015

I've cleared 4-day weekends throughout March so I can be ready whenever weather permits me to hit the trails before April floods the creek too badly.

As much as possible, I aim to bang out the Black Creek trail, probably spread out over 2 or 3 trips. The whole trail is around 40 miles easily divided into a couple of sections that could be hiked over long weekends at a relaxed pace.

Here's a pretty fair approximation of the whole trail based on maps and data from hikes done by various people: http://alltrails.com/maps/black-creek-snapshot

Anyone interested in getting in on some sweet southern hammock hangin' action?

I try to stick to a pretty conservative interpretation of Leave No Trace.

Hammock
    11' DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Suspension
    7/64 Amsteel
    Images
    If I don't have to work the weekend you go,I'll be there.Im ready to do some hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    If I don't have to work the weekend you go,I'll be there.Im ready to do some hiking
    Depending on weather, I hope to get out more than once.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hiked the little section at Beaverdam Creek. That is a cool trail. Would love to do the whole thing.

I'll keep this in mind.

Also thanks for the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I hiked the little section at Beaverdam Creek. That is a cool trail. Would love to do the whole thing.

I'll keep this in mind.

Also thanks for the map.
    Yeah, that part is kind of technically interesting for a Mississippi hiking trail.

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've never hiked any of this trail, as info for it is hard to find. Is it well maintained? Is the trail marked well, or is it easy to follow? Where are the trailheads? Does it see a lot of foot traffic? Are there a lot of established sites already, or does it feel more like a wilderness area?

I have only hiked a dozen or so miles, so I can't speak to the entire experience.

The southeast 16 miles or so is generally "wilderness" with a bunch of elevation changes but with a trail I had no trouble following on my first time to ever hoist a fully loaded pack.

Northwest from Janice is much less hilly, at least for the first several miles.

I'm pretty sure that parts of the trail have been bushhogged at some point. On the three overnighters I've done out there, I saw no one but my companion on our wilderness area hike but several hikers, hunters, locals, etc. on the less intimidating section.

I've seen a couple of spots where I'm pretty sure people have camped before, but no permanent fire rings or anything.

This trail is about as obscure as the National Scenic Trail on the Natchez Trace. Sweet trail, underutilized.

I see I missed a couple of things.

Well-maintained? Most people with recent experience seem to say it's in good shape, but this seems to vary based on all the expected variables, being near the coast.

There are a few trailheads, although I have only been to a couple. I know of trailheads at Fairley Landing, Janice Landing, a road crossing near Brooklyn, and Big Creek. There are likely more, but I can't say.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jowee View Post
    I've never hiked any of this trail, as info for it is hard to find. Is it well maintained? Is the trail marked well, or is it easy to follow? Where are the trailheads? Does it see a lot of foot traffic? Are there a lot of established sites already, or does it feel more like a wilderness area?
    Mytopo maps have the trail on it. This is the trail head on Hwy 29, just south of where Black Creek crosses the Hwy. You can follow the trail from there.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    There are parking areas at the north west end, where the trail crosses hwy 29, and at Fairley Bridge landing. I haven't been on all of it, but it is bush hogged everywhere I've been except inside the Wilderness Area. No motorized machines are allowed in the Wilderness Area, so no tractors or chainsaws. Still, the trail in the Wilderness Area is well marked and pretty easy to follow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast