Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3m x 3m
    Insulation
    Mummy bag and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Is there any benefit in using an underquilt and a pad together?

Keeping warm outdoors (or even indoors) is often a challenge for me so as I'm thinking of heading out to my first hang the underquilt and pad are both on my list.

It got me thinking though - if the UQ insulation works by trapping warm air and slowing the transfer of heat away from the body, how is it going to do any good if I use a pad as well? Won't the pad stop heat going through to the UQ in the first place? If so, what function does the UQ perform? I imagine it will help to reduce the wind chill factor at least.

So, is it better to use only one of these methods of insulation or will both together be more effective?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Redsquirrel, they can complement each other. The reason is that some heat will pass through the pad and would then be held by the UQ. You'll find, however, that since the pad does not completely wrap around your body, your shoulders *might* not be as warm as your back, buttocks, and legs. That might be ok, and many people use the pad to supplement other insulation when the temperature goes way down.

So it depends on the temperature and how cold/warm you sleep.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Usually it comes down to pad v. UQ rather than using both and that is usually resolved in a personal preference manner. Using both is usually done when temps are really low and the UQ does not protect to the degree the temperature is. Pads are really good at blocking temperature transfer but they cause some to sweat and they only work if you stay on them. One foot, calf, cheek or other part of you slides off the pad and you'll immediately start to transfer heat. UQ use is usually due to comfort and flexibility of the system in that they snug to your hammock but are not compressed so they maintain their insulation properties while breathing so you don't sweat (in most cases) and you don't wake to a frosty appendage.

If you are able to get your hands or at least your eyes on the system you do not have then you can best figure out what's best for you but being from Scotland you are used to a little breeze in places others might not be.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I almost always use both on my occasional winter hangs. My UQ is only rated to 20 deg and I don't like to take chances in the winter. It makes for a versatile setup.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed BF
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    EMS Siesta Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Straps
    If you don't want to spring for more than one UQ, the combination of a pad and UQ make perfect sense. Experimenting in backyard first is a good rule of thumb.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash & HR
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I carried a double wide 1/4" sleeping pad along with my underquilt while hiking the AT during the spring. The only reason I took the sleeping pad was for the Smokies if I had to stay in a shelter.

One night it got into the low 20's and I got a cold butt. Got up, pulled out the sleeping pad and inserted it between the layers of my WBBB. Slept toasty the rest of the night. I continued using it when the nights were in the 20's. I will always carry the sleeping pad if I expect cold temps.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    You could try a large pad like this one which is wide enough for hammock use and will mould around your body shape.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

• + New Posts