Well, here we go .... a new addiction

First, thanks for all the great advice on getting into a first trial hammock. It was all good and I received my Travel Hammock last Friday.

BUT, I've now got a problem. I'm sliding down the slippery slope of gear addiction. I've been there plenty of times before. As a long-time backpacker I know this feeling. This one is a little different, however, as it brings up a lot of changes. It's not like switching to a new stove or something. This is re-thinking tent, sleeping pad, possibly sleeping bag, all of which may involve a different pack. I've had my system pretty dialed in for a few years now with only minor tweaks. This really is sending me down a different road!

I set it up - way simpler than I'd expected. I did use some climbing webbing on one end because the sizing was better. The tiny 4mm cord didn't inspire much confidence, but I figured I had to jump in at some point. Lots of creaking and noise (rope stretch?) but all held. After than, I was in and out of it all weekend and it worked great. Took the best nap I have in years on Saturday afternoon. A little chilly on my back with nothing underneath, but tucking a blanket seemed to solve that.

Biggest surprises: I didn't need a pillow at all. On the ground I use a 4" pillow and it still hurts my neck and doesn't work well. Ease of multiple positions. I thought a hammock would kind of put you in limited positions, but fetal, side sleeping, legs spread, arms spread - it all worked and was unbelievably comfortable. I could see really sleeping incredibly well in this thing!

Not so good: I think I had it too high, because it really hurt the back of my legs getting out. The tension on the edge was very taut and putting my weight on that line to get out was not very pleasant. I'll work on that one.

So I've already exchanged a bunch of e-mails with Hennessy. I'm trying to figure out my perfect setup - which, of course - doesn't exist.

I'll put out some ideas and see what you folks think, but I may be heading down the DIY path. More to come....

-Curt

Images
    Sounds like you had an overall good experience. Make sure when you are thinking of getting something or trying something, you read and then read some more. I have, too often, decided to get something after reading about it and after a couple of days of it showing up, I find something better.

Images
    Yeah I think hiking gear is one of those things where you buy what you think will work the best for you at the time, then you buy something else later after you used it for awhile.

If needed all your old gear including your sleeping bag would work with hammocking. But then getting new gear is part of the fun.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

That's part of why I'm thinking about going DIY. I can tweak and modify piece-by-piece instead of being attached to one system.

I'll post in the DIY section with a few questions to see how tough it'd be.

-Curt

Images
    I am very glad I did my hammock DIY. When I showed up to hot springs my knots were giving out (I was trying something new), so I had to tie different knots. If I had not made them myself I would have had no idea what to do. If this kind of thing happens while hiking I will be prepared for it, since I made it myself.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I am very glad I did my hammock DIY. When I showed up to hot springs my knots were giving out (I was trying something new), so I had to tie different knots. If I had not made them myself I would have had no idea what to do. If this kind of thing happens while hiking I will be prepared for it, since I made it myself.
    that's right... when you know what makes it tick... you can find a way to fix it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    DIY is just as additive as gear.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    that's right... when you know what makes it tick... you can find a way to fix it.
    I'm with you guys on that one. I feel like with the needle and thread in my pack, I can fix any hammock gear problems. Throw in my duct tape and extra rope, and I feel I can fix anything.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Man Duct Tape will fix anything.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'm with you guys on that one. I feel like with the needle and thread in my pack, I can fix any hammock gear problems. Throw in my duct tape and extra rope, and I feel I can fix anything.
    Add bubble gum and you can rebuild an engine! BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts