First, thanks for all the great advice on getting into a first trial hammock. It was all good and I received my Travel Hammock last Friday.

BUT, I've now got a problem. I'm sliding down the slippery slope of gear addiction. I've been there plenty of times before. As a long-time backpacker I know this feeling. This one is a little different, however, as it brings up a lot of changes. It's not like switching to a new stove or something. This is re-thinking tent, sleeping pad, possibly sleeping bag, all of which may involve a different pack. I've had my system pretty dialed in for a few years now with only minor tweaks. This really is sending me down a different road!

I set it up - way simpler than I'd expected. I did use some climbing webbing on one end because the sizing was better. The tiny 4mm cord didn't inspire much confidence, but I figured I had to jump in at some point. Lots of creaking and noise (rope stretch?) but all held. After than, I was in and out of it all weekend and it worked great. Took the best nap I have in years on Saturday afternoon. A little chilly on my back with nothing underneath, but tucking a blanket seemed to solve that.

Biggest surprises: I didn't need a pillow at all. On the ground I use a 4" pillow and it still hurts my neck and doesn't work well. Ease of multiple positions. I thought a hammock would kind of put you in limited positions, but fetal, side sleeping, legs spread, arms spread - it all worked and was unbelievably comfortable. I could see really sleeping incredibly well in this thing!

Not so good: I think I had it too high, because it really hurt the back of my legs getting out. The tension on the edge was very taut and putting my weight on that line to get out was not very pleasant. I'll work on that one.

So I've already exchanged a bunch of e-mails with Hennessy. I'm trying to figure out my perfect setup - which, of course - doesn't exist.

I'll put out some ideas and see what you folks think, but I may be heading down the DIY path. More to come....

-Curt