Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Diggs View Post
    I was hoping that would work! That would potentially save quite a bit of weight dont you think?
    A smaller diagonal silnylon rain fly (only two stakes), and a ultra lite weather sock to block wind and side blowing rain/snow?

Is there any new material out there yet that is lighter than silnylon and just as durable?
    That is the idea with the HH Super Shelter. The sil-nyl under cover definitely helps make up for any deficiencies in the small tarp. In fact, the argument could be made that it makes up for any lack of coverage ( only as far as keeping wind/rain off of the hammock) better than all but the very largest of hammocks or hammock huts could do.

But storm coverage while in the hammock is not the only consideration. For example, having a roomy place for one or more persons to gather, cooks, play cards, etc. during a multi-day storm is also a consideration for some folks. A big tarp wins hands down for that.

Hammock
    ENO double/HH mod.(4now)
    Tarp
    HH standard(4now)
    Insulation
    SB&pad (4now)
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    yeah, this makes a lot more sense to me, personally, for weight concerns being the most important factor under saftey and adequate comfort. I intend on hanging near and around shelters most of the time and figure any "hang out" time can be done at the shelter, and I personally am a bit hesitant about the idea of cooking and eating around the area I inted to sleep. Is this not a notable concern?

I like the idea of a weathershield sock and smaller diag. tarp - for weight saving and perhaps even warmer temps inside the hammock - opposed to the use of a much larger, heavier winter-tarp that requires more tent stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I think the insulated down hammock idea that JustJeff, Risk and I have made would have to be just about the lightest thing out there.
    What exactly is this insulated down hammock idea?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.html

Definitely the lightest cold weather setup I've found, if you're comfortable sewing thru your hammock. I haven't had any problems with mine, other than the hammock stretching and the undercover not...so in effect it has lost loft right under my butt.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Cuben Fiber - Speer Design
    Tarp
    MYOG - Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down-Delta-Combat
    Images

ultralite sleep system

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Diggs View Post
    Hello, Hello

I am searching for the ultimate ultralite hanging system for my ATthru in march.

Ultralite Items Needed:
    ========================================
    Hammock: comfort/Bugnet(detachable-perm.)?*********[CUBEN]

Tarp: Winter/3-Season/Summer/Sock ?***************[Cuben]

Insulation: UQ/Pad/TQ/Sock?**************[Climashield XP and CUBEN]
    ========================================

My goal is to keep my total winter pack down to 20# and summer pack down to 15#. Is it possible to have a winter sleep system under or at 3#?

Diamond Diggs(a.k.a.-The Vagabond-onWB)
    Hi Diamond D, interesting name, I have a cat named Diamond. I thought it was a girl and when I took it to be fixed they told me it was a boy. Didn't see any reason to change its name. It is a very sweet cat.

If you want the lightest set of sleep gear you want to go with Cuben Fiber. If you expected to buy new stuff you can buy the Cuben and maybe make it all yourself. That is the off-set for the cost of the Cuben. Another way to look at it is that Cuben isn't more than about 25% more than other good material and it will be so much lighter you may not believe the finished weight.

This is a link to my Cuben Hammock Thread located here at the Hammock Forum:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=693

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I don't think that any of the complete systems mentioned make it at under 3 lbs, as per his original request. Of course a tent, bag, and pad would normally weigh in at around 5-6 lbs at least. So my hammock system (Blackbird, Yeti, OES spinn standard tarp, and WMbag) is comparable.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    A sock and a small tarp is not lighter than a reasonable tarp.... Maybe so in summer when you send the sock home...

If light is a true requirement you'll need to swap items afte Mt Roger and back again in NH... Ie build a winter and summer set up or you will suboptimize one or the other....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    A sock and a small tarp is not lighter than a reasonable tarp.... Maybe so in summer when you send the sock home...

If light is a true requirement you'll need to swap items afte Mt Roger and back again in NH... Ie build a winter and summer set up or you will suboptimize one or the other....

Pan
    yeah, if i was going ultralight i'd consider ditching the sock, might be useful in the coldest parts, but even then it's still probably unnesecary. a decent tarp in the colder weather and then downsize that in the warmer months.

you're absolute lightest... ccf pad as bottom insulation would (i'm thinking) be lighter than a down hammock most likely, and you could easily switch out to thinner one when it warms up, just depends on how set you are about going as light as you can vs. going for convenience and comfort. down would certainly be more comfy for the duration, but probably not lighter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.html

Definitely the lightest cold weather setup I've found, if you're comfortable sewing thru your hammock. I haven't had any problems with mine, other than the hammock stretching and the undercover not...so in effect it has lost loft right under my butt.

how much weight did it add to the hammock for the outer shell + down? i would have thought ccf would be lighter. of course the comfort has to be figured in too

Hammock
    ENO double/HH mod.(4now)
    Tarp
    HH standard(4now)
    Insulation
    SB&pad (4now)
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yeah, if i was going ultralight i'd consider ditching the sock, might be useful in the coldest parts, but even then it's still probably unnesecary. a decent tarp in the colder weather and then downsize that in the warmer months.
    yeah, maybe I should reconsider this, although i cant get away from the thought that a sock would be more effecient in keeping out the weather(rain,snow,wind) then just a larger tarp alone (even when bringing tarp down to ground level)??? Seems it would take less material to make a weather sock, then it would for a winter tarp that can be tied down to ground to block out the weather?

Images
    i think a med/small tarp+sock will be more fabric/heavier than a large winter tarp with no sock. i have no numbers to go by though, so you miight want to do the math yourself and see what the actual weights might be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast