Diy gear double
    Tarp
    Diy tarp 10x12
    Insulation
    Insultex Climash.
    Suspension
    Strap and rings

Radio mast stand question?

I put one of these together last summer and the aluminum material raised a question in my mind.

It seems as if I have a talent for attracting rough weather from hurricanes to tornados. A few years ago I was testing a new wooden hammock stand and tarp when we had a major tornado storm. Then there was the time we had to cancel a visit to Orange Beach because of Katrina and proceded to Myrtle Beach only to experience Ophelia. I am not paranoid but ...... I could relate many more incidents from severe hailstorms in the Rockies to the big blowdown in the BWCAW.

Is there any reasonable danger from a lightning while hanging from an aluminum mast hammock stand?

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    Lightning protection is a very complex topic. The National Lightning Safety Institute says that lightning comes from thunderclouds, and looks to connect to fences, trees, blades of grass, corners of buildings, people, lightning rods, etc. So from that view, just being outside during a thunderstorm has its risks.

The general 'rule of thumb', if you must be outside during a lightning event, is to not be the tallest item, nor be near the tallest item. Trees are typically the tallest things nearby. Since you're asking about radio masts, I'm guessing you are not near those trees, but carrying your own aluminum 'trees'/fence posts. I would think the risks of using those radio masts would be similar to using fence posts, or simply standing at that location, during a storm.

...Bob

Hammock
    Several homemade.
    Tarp
    Homemade coated ri
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Heavy duty : )
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbquetico View Post
    I put one of these together last summer and the aluminum material raised a question in my mind.

It seems as if I have a talent for attracting rough weather from hurricanes to tornados. A few years ago I was testing a new wooden hammock stand and tarp when we had a major tornado storm. Then there was the time we had to cancel a visit to Orange Beach because of Katrina and proceded to Myrtle Beach only to experience Ophelia. I am not paranoid but ...... I could relate many more incidents from severe hailstorms in the Rockies to the big blowdown in the BWCAW.

Is there any reasonable danger from a lightning while hanging from an aluminum mast hammock stand?
    Could you upload a few pictures of your hammock stand?

Hammock
    Diy gear double
    Tarp
    Diy tarp 10x12
    Insulation
    Insultex Climash.
    Suspension
    Strap and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammockmadness View Post
    Could you upload a few pictures of your hammock stand?
    Hopefully I will be setting it up this week at my daughter's place since we'll be sitting for the grandkids this week. The stand is the take off from the "turtle" stand made of bamboo but using slip together 4 foot aluminum military radio masts. There is a huge thread on it on the forum. It really does work well.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    I just picked up 4 more of these poles yesterday, to add to the 12 I already have, so I should have enough to fashion one of these hammock stands. I would have done this today, but don't think I have time. I already have them packed up for an event early next Saturday morning, where they will be holding up an antenna.

...Bob

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    Weather was nice today. This shouldn't take too long. About 30 minutes, including teaching a girl scout about tripod lashing.

0208151425-00.jpg

0208151435-01.jpg

Additional images are in my gallery. AA2FD's image gallery

Hammock
    Diy gear double
    Tarp
    Diy tarp 10x12
    Insulation
    Insultex Climash.
    Suspension
    Strap and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by AA2FD View Post
    Weather was nice today. This shouldn't take too long. About 30 minutes, including teaching a girl scout about tripod lashing.

0208151425-00.jpg

0208151435-01.jpg

Additional images are in my gallery. AA2FD's image gallery
    Yup, that is what mine looks like but I have the center poles between the tripods. I would be afraid to use it without the horizontal line as the tripods would pull inward without staking down. Hopefully I will get some pictures tomorrow as I have it set up now in my daughter's huge garage where I plan to spend the night. I'm hoping my back will do better in the hammock.

By the way, we are located in Green Bay Wi so hanging outside takes some heavy duty equipment which I am in the process of acquiring.

Thanks for the pics.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    Check my image gallery and you will see hammock suspension connects to ends of the horizontal poles, and the tripods hold the horizontal poles up. 0208151435-00.jpg

...Bob

Hammock
    Diy gear double
    Tarp
    Diy tarp 10x12
    Insulation
    Insultex Climash.
    Suspension
    Strap and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by AA2FD View Post
    Check my image gallery and you will see hammock suspension connects to ends of the horizontal poles, and the tripods hold the horizontal poles up. 0208151435-00.jpg

...Bob
    Hi Bob,

The first picture doesn't clearly show the bar as the second does. You might consider puting spread limiters on the tripods. Mi used paracord for that. This is especially important when the tripod is on a hard surface.

Hopefully wiil get my pictures this PM.

Hammock
    Diy gear double
    Tarp
    Diy tarp 10x12
    Insulation
    Insultex Climash.
    Suspension
    Strap and rings
    One other thing to be aware of is that the hammock suspension shoud always de centered under the triod apex. Otherwise a very strong force is placed on the center pole trying to collapse it from the ends. The horizontal pole would look like an upward U. Having a very ptonounced upward bow. When the hammock is suspended from the proper point the compression forces are minimized.

I apologize if you already know this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast