Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goetzc View Post
    I'm really liking this tarp and am looking for some input from people who've owned it.
    I've searched but haven't found many posts about it. I'd also love to see some more pics of the camo color if you have any to share.
    It was recently announced that the jacks r better brand has changed hands in ownership.I do know they respond quickly on Facebook & the website
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I too like this tarp for the varied pitches it can be used for. This is a mondo sized tarp suitable not so much for ultra light backpackers as it is for motorbike/car campers due to the heaviness of the tarp compared to other lighter options from many vendors.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    InsideUnivJamesIsl.jpgI have one and I really like it. I am a "big tarp" fan because when it rains, I want more dry area than just my hammock. The number of "tie-outs" might seem excessive, but they are counting the tie-outs on the ends that close the doors. For those, I bought some plastic toggles and larch headed them on one side so the doors close like a jacket with wooden barrel buttons. The tarp has all the pull-outs you'd want - two on each side and an extra one on top. In addition, there are matching loops on the inside. You could use them to run a clothes line under the tarp and/or to pull the hammock to one side of the tarp when the hammock is not in use.

The tarp is large enough so you can raise one corner in semi-porch mode for easy walk in, while still having most the sides down for more weather shelter.

Here are some photos from a kayak trip to Patos Island in the San Juans.

On this island the Universal was used as a picnic table cover while a WildernessLogics BullFrog was used to cover the hammock:

tablecoverPatos.jpg
    Covering the picnic/gear table - that's a full size "camp" picnic table. I think they are 8 or 9 feet long.

WindwardSidePatos.jpg
    Any storm will arrive on this side

campsitePatos.jpg
    BullFrog is used to shelter hammock. Universal covers picnic table

sunsetPatos.jpg
    One of the many views I have to put up with when kayak camping

InsideUnivJamesIsl.jpg
    Inside universal tarp on James Island - note inside tie-out on side to hold hammock to one side if not in use.

letherblowJamesIsland.jpg
    big wind coming from the west. had to reorient tarp parallel to wind and lash it down - let it blow, let it blow, let it blow.

WhereShallIHangJamesIsland.jpg
    Sometimes it is hard to find suitable trees. On the west side of James - not so much.

eastsideJamesIsland.jpg
    I didn't want to take the time to haul my gear up and a bit over the bluff to this east side - a bit sheltered from the wind. But, because of fighting the wind and having to re-orient the tarp, it probably would have been faster to just carry the gear to the protected eastern side - lesson learned.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-11-2018 at 21:03.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    No question this is a great tarp for all pitches, and to keep large areas dry. There is a weight penalty though for this tarp, as compared to the Superfly and the MacCat Ultra, but the JRB is probably the most versatile full featured tarp available bar none, if you are ok with the extra ounces..

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Insulation
    tinfoil hat
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ICohen424 View Post
    Oh man! Thanks for letting me know.
    I cant seem to find any first-hand experience with the JRB Universal Tarp.
    IChoen424,
    Hi this is Dave one of the new owners, sorry I didn't see this post earlier. Not sure if you are going to MAHHA this weekend but we will have one with us if you want to see it in action. Also, I don't know where you are in Jersey but we're close by now and could easily set up a place to meet if you want to see one in person.

Hey Cougarmeat,

Is there any way you could post a picture of how you do the toggle door closure? I like that idea? Lastly, where did you find the toggles.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Toggles were from WildernessLogics:

https://www.wildernesslogics.com/RESIN-TOGGLES-TOG.htm

Toggle.jpg

They are 25 cents each and about 1.5 inches long. These have NOT been tried out in strong storm conditions. They were for a tarp used by someone who is not as fond of "extreme weather" as I am. As such, their role is more one for providing privacy. That's not to say they won't work; I'm just say'n they haven't been storm tested.

We are starting to move away from winter - though it snowed a little yesterday - so I'll be getting spring/summer gear out and reviewing all my rigging. I'm sure I'll cut my side guy lines in half because the Nite-eze cord came in 8 ft lengths which is most often way longer than necessary. I might also play with bungee cord on the four corners.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-19-2018 at 19:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12