Hammock
    11' DIY 1.1 w/knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Poly

1.1 SilPoly Gen. 2, RSBTR

This gen 2 fabric boasts a 50D gridstop pattern on a 20D face. An increase in hydrostatic head from ~1000mm(GEN1) to ~1500mm(GEN2). All of these improvements for the same weight. What are everyone's thoughts on this new fabric? I just made a winter tarp out of the Gen. 1 fabric and it was awesome to work with. Now I'm wishing I had some of this new fabric. Kyle, is this some kind of planned obsolescence to get me to buy more fabric for another tarp? It's working.
    Last edited by swampwalker906; 02-07-2015 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by swampwalker906 View Post
    Kyle, is this some kind of planned obsolescence to get me to buy more fabric for another tarp? It's working.
    He may have been taking notes on Dutch's business model.

But in all seriousness, it's great to see vendors constantly seeking innovation & improvement. But just like any other technological advancement, there are sometimes a few bumps on the highway.
    Last edited by G-Rat; 02-08-2015 at 16:08.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    This gen 2 fabric boasts a 50D gridstop pattern on a 20D face. An increase in hydrostatic head from ~1000mm(GEN1) to ~1500mm(GEN2). All of these improvements for the same weight. What are everyone's thoughts on this new fabric? I just made a winter tarp out of the Gen. 1 fabric and it was awesome to work with. Now I'm wishing I had some of this new fabric. Kyle, is this some kind of planned obsolescence to get me to buy more fabric for another tarp? It's working.
    No I would never do such a thing . In all honesty though there are a couple things going on. First, I've been pushing this particular mill to do a "hybrid denier" fabric for a while. It's not the exact same end result, but it is the same technique used in fabrics such as the Lunarwave diamond ripstop used by Kammok. It really makes the fabric a lot more rugged and reduces the stretch to boot for minimal weight increase. Second, I wanted there to be some type of differentiator between our silnylon and silpoly other than the obvious nylon vs poly. Third, there was "seam seal gate" for silpoly 1.0. People were experiencing mixed results with standard sealants, so that needed to be fixed. Roll all that up and you have a very unique tarp fabric in Silpoly 2.0.

FYI there is a small weight increase from 1.0 to 2.0.... 1.2 oz/sq yd is now 1.27 oz/sq yd. Small penalty for what you pick up IMO.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    11' DIY 1.1 w/knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    Third, there was "seam seal gate" for silpoly 1.0. People were experiencing mixed results with standard sealants, so that needed to be fixed.
    First off, thank you for your answer, it cleared up any questions I had about the fabric...sound's like some awesome stuff! But, what is this seam seal gate you speak of? Do some seam sealers not adhere properly to the fabric? I was planning to seal my tarp soon with a DIY mixture of 100% silicone/mineral spirits.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    First off, thank you for your answer, it cleared up any questions I had about the fabric...sound's like some awesome stuff! But, what is this seam seal gate you speak of? Do some seam sealers not adhere properly to the fabric? I was planning to seal my tarp soon with a DIY mixture of 100% silicone/mineral spirits.
    Some people were experiencing mixed results with 100% silicone sealants. I would suggest taking a scrap piece and testing your chosen sealant on each side first before setting out to do the full tarp. The only product that seems to have worked for all those who tried it, including me, is the Sea to Summit Seam sil. I have adjusted the coating mixture for the 2nd gen and tested it ahead of time to eliminate the issue.

Here is the full thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...g-RBTR-silpoly
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    11' DIY 1.1 w/knotty mod
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Poly
    Wow! A lot of useful info in that thread. My tarp has been sewn up for a month already but, when I was laying it out I could not for the life of me differentiate a shiny side. I ended up just sealing both sides. Thanks!

• + New Posts