DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

New KAQ owner

Just received my Jarbidge quilt from Arrowhead this morning. Thanks for the fast turnaround. I only ordered it last week. Can't wait to try it out.

What's the coldest anybody has slept comfortably with theirs? I'm tempted to try it out tomorrow, but the weather's supposed to dip down to about 20°F and that's right about the low end of the rating for the 3s Jarbidge.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We have had a few reports of folks getting into the teens. But that's the exception. We base rating heavily on customer feed back as well as my own testing. 25° is the comfort low end. Survival and comfort are different but if you're pushing to the extremes I recommend having a back up or bail out plan. Hypothermia sucks.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    We have had a few reports of folks getting into the teens. But that's the exception. We base rating heavily on customer feed back as well as my own testing. 25° is the comfort low end. Survival and comfort are different but if you're pushing to the extremes I recommend having a back up or bail out plan. Hypothermia sucks.
    Yeah, I've learned my lesson the hard way a long time ago about not testing my setup before heading to the woods. I'll only be out in the backyard if I do try to hang tomorrow.

The craftsmanship on this thing is quite impressive, thanks again Mr. Arrowhead.

Hammock
    ENO Doublewide
    Tarp
    11' Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbridg
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I had mine down to 16* in Harriman State Park last weekend and was comfortable. But there are caveats. I am a VERY cold sleeper, so I always bring plenty of extras to make sure I'll be warm enough. I used a synthetic sleeping bag rated to -20* (although the underside of the sleeping bag gets compressed and doesn't insulate well, it is still added insulation, especially with synthetic). I slept in 4 layers on my legs, like 6 layers on my top, plus a warm down hat and a balaclava. I used some Reflectix by my feet with a couple of toe warmers stuck to it. I had a Zippo hand warmer in my bag. By around 5 am I added a piece of Reflectix under my butt and put the Zippo between my legs - wow - that cranks heat! I'm confident I can easily go to single digits with that setup.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I tend to be a warm sleeper. Had my HHSS with just the pad it came with and a space blanket down to 18°F and my USGI MSS sleeping bag (both the patrol and intermediate) earlier this year with no real issues. I've got a real bad case of spring fever (in case you couldn't tell) and the real question will likely be how badly do I want to drag out my turtledog stand through over a foot of snow in the backyard.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You can add a UQ protector to get down about 10* more if needed, but whatever you do, have a bailout plan the first time!

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Hey Mr. Arrowhead. Do the stuff sacks you make for the under quilts make good long term storage for the quilts, or should I hang/lay it somewhere uncompressed?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    No I would not consider the packing stuff sack for long term storage. Check out the Care And Cleaning video on the how to videos page at AHE for the official recommendations.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts