DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    I had pretty much the EXACT issue you are having, tighten, loosen, adjust the suspension on my UQ til head exploded. No joy, then I went on a hang and I saw these http://dutchwaregear.com/ridgeline-quilt-hooks.html on someone's rig.

These are super cheap, but I did a test first, I took four micro biners (spelling). Took two and tied the side UQ shock cord to them so that I could hang them on my hammock just above the gathered end, just like you see in Shug and many other videos. I then used a small continuous loop and tied them to my structural ridgeine with a prussic knot and hung the two remaining biners from these loops. So now I could slide the Micro biners back and forth on the SRL. I then took on each side the section of the shock cord suspension up and pulled into the biners. both head and foot end. This allowed me to slide the tension of the suspension back and forth from head to toe.

BAM LIFE WAS GOOD

Then I bought these, http://dutchwaregear.com/ridgeline-quilt-hooks.html, and these http://dutchwaregear.com/quilt-hangers.html, the second because they are also cheap, color coded for head/foot, lite, and actually make adjusting the shock cord easy peazy.

Plus I seem to have formed an addiction to Dutch Bling.

Edit: I tried the Triangle thingies as well, but I found they did not give me the adjust ability I wanted. Note I ride in a 12 footer and my triangle thingies would have to pretty large.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    HG Peonix/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    mine is basically a short piece of line attatched to the tab next to the main suspension going up to the main suspension with a prussic. Tighten until you get the proper fit.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    Just to throw it out there i had a lot of problems with a different brand of UQ and i believe it was due to the suspension. When i bought the incubator it was instant success with just a little adjustment. As a reference point if you were to suspend the UQ beside the hammock that is on its own without the hammock inside i found it is almost at the ridge line height. Also that is a lot of extra down you may need to replace the primary suspension with heavier bungy the hang test described above should tell you if the UQ is being supported enough and if you have it tight enough. Make sure the UQ suspension ends are not to tight back them right off and tight maybe 4 inches each side. Hope this helps
    Yes, I think a lot of people don't realize that high is not TOO high. Seems werid, but it works.

I am a bit stumped because I'm always giving advice on the Incubators but I'm still having trouble with my 0°. I made adjustments this past weekend, but not quite there. I think I'll loosen everything and start from scratch. I have a good 10" thru the secondary suspension tabs. Sounds like too much compared to my 20 and 40° Incubators which always had 4-6", close to what you mention.

I seemed warmer when I slid down to the bottom, but then my feet were hanging off...not right with a full length quilt and 5'9" person! I'm wondering if I just set the hammock up wrong. Couldn't quite get the head end low enough without touching the ground.

Unfortunately I don't have a good place to test outside. I'll try in the basement with some fans blowing on me to give it a try.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I am a new hanger so maybe I am dead wrong but-
    I purchased my HG 0 with extra down for really cold weather when I would also be using an UQP- I have not had time to set the new rig up- let alone cold enough/stormy weather- but I imagine an UQP would help get the down up a little closer to the hammock. Also- because the UQP should stop any draft between you and the down the issue may fix itself even if the UQ is not perfect.
    Just my thoughts or what I think I would try.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    This morning, I think I may have solved my problem (again ) I may need to add some pics later if this doesn't make sense.

I had a few knots tied in the primary suspension to shorten it because it was WAY too long out of the box, compared to my other Incubators. But in doing this, I prevented the primary suspension from "rotating" thru the quilt channel freely. The knot just hung up on the s-biner.

So I untied all the knots leaving just the ONE knot tied by HG to close the loop. Right at that knot, I tied another using a chunk of cord maybe 4" long. Then, the IMPORTANT part, I rotated the primary suspension thru the quilt so the knot was closer to the end of the quilts channel, NOT at the s-biner. I think this gives it more room to move if necessary.

Then I loosened everything up, laid it flat on the floor, then snugged everything up half way. I put it on my hammock, then tightened everything up more. When I got in, it felt like a totally different quilt. I'm even more hopeful this time, but only time will tell. Maybe I'll open the basement window tonight and give it a try with a fan blowing the cold air on me.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    OK I don't want to hijack the thread, but hopefully my experience helps others.

What I mentioned in the post ^^ above ^^ seemed to work. I believe it this time! Just the one knot shortening the primary suspension, along with a moderate tug on all 4 corners (secondary suspension), seemed to do it. I'm confident this time since I feel HEAT on my back within a few seconds of getting in the hammock. This is what I've always had with my 20° Incubator. I trust that thing 110%.

So I was clearly over-complicating things but look forward to getting this out into the cold again.

Thanks for that Mark its good to know

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    +1 for the Dutch quilt hooks. Given they allow for not only the hammock suspension to be pulled a little higher/more snug up against the hammock, but they can be slid up and down the hammock ridge line (allowing you to change the direction of the UQ suspension, you can literally dial your UQ in to perfection.
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345