Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Listen to Shug he knows what he's talking about. Tighter!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I think you can still tighten thee main suspension more. It should lift the hammock up more than you would think it would. Try that.
    Yup. It will basically swallow up your hammock. Seems and looks totally wrong, but it's not.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Tighter. If all else fails...get some adhesive, stick-on type Velcro. Put one side the bottom of the hammock where the gap between the two is greatest, the other on the UQ. Desperate times call for desperate measures. It's a bandaid until you figure it out.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Haha alright I'll give righting it more a go although I can only tighten it up on the head end now the foot end is as tight as it can get will tightning up the head end help raise the food end of the uq?
    And also I am conserned about losing loft of the uq how much loft should I be able to feel buy poking say where my shoulder or butt is how much loft should still be their?
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor Like Fire View Post
    Haha alright I'll give righting it more a go although I can only tighten it up on the head end now the foot end is as tight as it can get will tightning up the head end help raise the food end of the uq?
    And also I am conserned about losing loft of the uq how much loft should I be able to feel buy poking say where my shoulder or butt is how much loft should still be their?
    The main suspension should run through channels and will tighten equally......talking about the shock cord that goes over the hammock whipping.
    The uq has a differential cut and can be pulled very snug with no loss of loft and your not getting it up on the legs anyways so you go room to space. Tighten up.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You should really get an experienced hanger to help you adjust the UQ. It's very difficult to adjust the UQ when you're in the hammock. At first, I was going to say that a 0* Incubator with 4 oz. overstuff (for Missouri???) might be just too heavy for the shock cord suspension, but you say you have had this problem before.

There seem to be many HG UQ owners who don't understand how the suspension works on the quilts.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=suspension

Here's a thread where people intentionally use the suspension in ways for which it wasn't designed.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ary+suspension
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What I did was put a double knot in the line at one end, which will pull the shock cord tighter. As the shock cord goes through the channels and is not locked in place, you should be able to slide it up towards the head or down towards the feet as needed.

As others have said, the UQ should pull the hammock up by about 1' higher than normal. If your end channel is pulled too tight (across the end), it will also create a crescent shape, allowing air to seep in. The Roaming Knome would be easier to get a correct fit than the WBBB, as the foot box on the WBBB creates some difficulties.

Again, have someone else in the hammock and do the adjustments from the outside yourself to see where the gaps are happening and then tinker with the cords. Everyone has trouble at first. My first year was messing with the UQs every trip out. When I thought I had it dialed in, I went out on a 15* camp out and learned some more tricks by tinkering.

As the UQ wraps around the outside of the hammock, there will be no loss of loft. That's the whole point of an UQ. The material is not getting pinched between the user & the hammock. It just pulls out wider.

One other question to you which will significantly effect the use of the UQ is how high are your feet? If your head end is higher than your feet, I don't think you'll ever get a good fit. The gathered end at your feet should be about 1' higher than your head end. Also, you need to make sure that you have your cords coming off at 30* on each end. I think having the hammock too tight would effect the lay too.
    Last edited by Boomer; 02-05-2015 at 23:53.

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Alright just did some reading up on those links posted and I now understand the difference between the main suspenssion and the secondary suspenssion. So I'm so post to tighten up the primary suspenssion right? So what I did was unclup the s biner and basicly tied a series of figure eight on a bite loops on the foot end of the primary suspenssion which would tighten up the main suspenssion and it did left up the quilt and from their just tighten up the secondary suspenssion for a more dialed in fit right? That's what I just finished doing messing around with it for about twenty minutes I still have a bit of an air gap under my calfs (when on my back) but it seems to be higher although if I tried to tighten up the primary suspenssion anymore I feel like the shock cord could break.

It feels like when I'm laying down in the hammock it seems like theirs about two inches of loft or so before hitting my body on the lower parts like my butt.

I lay my hammock flat even on both ends btw I use a level app on my phone and hold it to my hammock RL to make sure my hammock is laying even on both ends.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The primary suspension (the fattest and longest shock cord that goes through the channels of the underquilt) should be tight enough to be able to push the underquilt against the hammock. Usually, the underquilt will lift the hammock when it is not loaded. The primary suspension will not prevent the underquilt from sagging, though - called "accordion effect". That's what the secondary suspension is for. Don't be afraid to crank the secondary suspension up. The Incubator is cut deferentially, so the down should not be compressed even if the suspension is very tight.

Also make sure that the ends are cinched just right, which means they should close any gaps at the ends BUT if you cinch the ends too much, you will get problems with gaps under the uq. Try different modes and see if this eliminates the leg gaps.

The only other problem that I can think of would be the "leg shelf". The Incubator has a unique design with higher baffles under the torso and lower baffles under the legs to put the majority of the down where you need it most. Usually this works great, but I've heard that some people have problems with air gaps under their legs. Maybe make sure that your butt is still in the torso-section and not on the leg shelf. If you have a long torso and short legs, this might be what's causing your problem.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but I like to try and keep an equal distance from s-biner to end of quilt on BOTH head and foot ends. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can mess up how it fits your body if you change it dramatically (i.e. 4" of visible shockcord on head end; 10" on foot end)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast