HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    It looks like your fabric was tensioned too tight when HH sewed the hem around your tarp. Try to contact them with your photos.

If that fails, try to rig flexible tent poles between the tie downs, arching up your tarp.
    Or stitch some loops on the outside of tarp to lift the sag out, and run an exterior ridgeline.

You certainly have it pulled tight enough on the edges, but that middle has got to be flapping annoyance. Good luck. Buying a new tarp with more coverage would be the other option, thats what most folks do.
    i might drop hennessy a line. i am hesitant because this may simply be operator error.
    whatever happens i will sort it out!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by volks-man View Post
    thanks for the thoughts on the ribbon. i have been toying with the idea of making up a fly that whos pieces, at the top, ovlerlaps such as to create a tube of fabric down the middle to accomodate a floating, replaceable line of some sort.
    hhmmmmmmmmmmm..........
    If you are going to make a tarp then use the Black Cat directions and make a hex type tarp. I don't know how good a thread injector operator you are but the Black Cat directions are very good as long as you don't try to change the dimensions. If you do that then the math is beyond me since the calculator in the directions doesn't seem to work for me. The flat felled seam in the center of the tarp is easily stonger and more usable than the tube idea if I understand you correctly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If you are going to make a tarp then use the Black Cat directions and make a hex type tarp. I don't know how good a thread injector operator you are but the Black Cat directions are very good as long as you don't try to change the dimensions. If you do that then the math is beyond me since the calculator in the directions doesn't seem to work for me. The flat felled seam in the center of the tarp is easily stonger and more usable than the tube idea if I understand you correctly.
    tube bad, flat seam good.
    gotcha, thanks!

i sent a shot out to the folks at hennessy. i will wait to see what they have to say about my methods before i do anything else.

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    heres the skinny on the rainfly.

i sent an email to hennessyhammocks this morning reporting my troubles and asking for any tips or assistance they could offer. shortly thereafter i received a reply from hennessyhammocks asking for a phone number and time i'd be available for a call. shortly after i replied, Tom Hennessey called me personally to sort things out.

Tom advised me to tie a cord to one end ring on the fly, wrap the first tree, return to that first ring and run through it continuing under the fly to the ring on the far end, run through the second ring, wrap the second tree, and back to the second ring. by running the cord through the second ring and back toward second tree you can use a prussic on the cord to tension the whole works. (paraphrased) this is the method that he uses personally and stressed the ability to set up the hammock dry under the fly.
    he also mentioned that dew on the underside of the fly is not a big problem if the fly is taut and steep enough.

while discussing rainflys Tom advised me that, as hammocking is an evolutionary activity, Hennessy will soon be packaging caternary cut rainflys with their hammocks!

through each email and our phone conversation Mr. Hennessy was nothing but polite, helpful, and even greatful for all the word-of-mouth sales from us 'hangers'.

thanks for all your help and suggestions on here on HF!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have not had personal contact with Tom Hennessy but I have nothing but good experiences with the company. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by volks-man View Post
    heres the skinny on the rainfly.

i sent an email to hennessyhammocks this morning reporting my troubles and asking for any tips or assistance they could offer. shortly thereafter i received a reply from hennessyhammocks asking for a phone number and time i'd be available for a call. shortly after i replied, Tom Hennessey called me personally to sort things out.

Tom advised me to tie a cord to one end ring on the fly, wrap the first tree, return to that first ring and run through it continuing under the fly to the ring on the far end, run through the second ring, wrap the second tree, and back to the second ring. by running the cord through the second ring and back toward second tree you can use a prussic on the cord to tension the whole works. (paraphrased) this is the method that he uses personally and stressed the ability to set up the hammock dry under the fly.
    he also mentioned that dew on the underside of the fly is not a big problem if the fly is taut and steep enough.

while discussing rainflys Tom advised me that, as hammocking is an evolutionary activity, Hennessy will soon be packaging caternary cut rainflys with their hammocks!

through each email and our phone conversation Mr. Hennessy was nothing but polite, helpful, and even greatful for all the word-of-mouth sales from us 'hangers'.

thanks for all your help and suggestions on here on HF!
    that sounds like a very complicated solution there.....

check that video out, i was using the hh hammock with standard tarp on a six month expedition in the tropics and had a similar issue though not quite as severe... now i just have a separate ridge-line for the tarp, tied to the raps o rings..... works wonders and will cure your problems!
    Last edited by trekkingnut; 07-08-2010 at 14:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234