HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock

hennessy hammock: setup reboot.

i have been having problems with the stock fly on my HH uba. i had asked in another thread about adding a fly ridgeline and have already made slingshot tensioners but i think i need to step back and look at this again.

what am i doing wrong?

i set the hammock up with some sag in the ridgeline. guy out the sides of the hammock and then toss the fly on top. using the lighter hooks on the fly i clip it to the ridgeline and hook the heavy ones on but remain loose. then side guys go out in the same direction but further than the hammock guys. after sides are set i pull the fly adjusters along the ridge untill the fly tightens up bing sure i am centered over the hammock lengthwise.
    i have also tried tensioning the top first, different side angles, weighted sides, slingshots on just the top on one and both ends, slingshots on just the sides, slingshots on all four points, and tree tieing on one and both ends.

no matter what i do the center of the fly is either loose and flapping or tight and resting on the hammock ridgeline until i get in then it's loose. the bound edge of the fly will tighten all i want, enough to start opening the heavy hooks on the adjusters, but the center will not comply without the side being super tight. i was under the impression that the fly is not to touch the ridgeline.

where am i going wrong?
    any help appreciated.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Pictures would help to see if your set up is not right. Sounds to me like the angles you have your hammock strung at aren't right?? If your suspension ropes are not steep enough, you'll have a hard time lifting the tarp off the hammock.
    I don't own a HH, just thinking out loud.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I guess I am getting confused with the hooks. But I don't have the stock fly any more so I can't check it. If you tie the tarp to the trees using a ridgeline you should not have the issue. I did have difficulty at one point on my Safari getting the tarp to stay tight when attached to the suspension line. I discover the prussic was not a prussic and as soon as I fixed that my tarp did not slide loose on the suspension ropes. However, after I did that I changed to hanging my tarp by itself for a variety of reasons which have been enumerated elsewhere.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Pictures would help to see if your set up is not right. Sounds to me like the angles you have your hammock strung at aren't right?? If your suspension ropes are not steep enough, you'll have a hard time lifting the tarp off the hammock.
    I don't own a HH, just thinking out loud.
    That should not be major issue with the HH as it might be with another type. Clipping the tarp to the suspension lines _can_ actually serve to tension the tarp when you get in similarly to the way a slightly slack interior ridgeline will tighten up under weight. But I do agree... pics would help.

Part of the problem I am having is with terminology. There is a distinct difference in the HH between the "Ridgeline" (being interior to the bug net) and the "suspension" lines which hold the hammock to the trees and to which the tarp attaches in a stock HH set up. Then to throw in a "Tarp ridgeline" and I get kind of confused as to what is being referred to when just the term "ridgeline" is used. That to _me_ is inside the bug net and is not accessible to the tarp connections.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat D-lux
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Images
    Sounds like your hook arrangement is by the book. Behaves like my HH to me in that configuration, tightens right up when you get in. I too have changed to a different tarp and setup for those "other" reasons. Other; Tarp up = me in the dry
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or admit God is real.

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I guess I am getting confused with the hooks. But I don't have the stock fly any more so I can't check it. If you tie the tarp to the trees using a ridgeline you should not have the issue. I did have difficulty at one point on my Safari getting the tarp to stay tight when attached to the suspension line. I discover the prussic was not a prussic and as soon as I fixed that my tarp did not slide loose on the suspension ropes. However, after I did that I changed to hanging my tarp by itself for a variety of reasons which have been enumerated elsewhere.
    pics are coming. if they ever finish uploading to photobucket...............

the prussics seem to be holding fine. the perimeter of the fly is as tight as can be, but the ceter/top is always loose unless i guy the sides so tight that it rests on the HH ridge line. even then, when i get in it's loose city all over again.

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    That should not be major issue with the HH as it might be with another type. Clipping the tarp to the suspension lines _can_ actually serve to tension the tarp when you get in similarly to the way a slightly slack interior ridgeline will tighten up under weight. But I do agree... pics would help.

Part of the problem I am having is with terminology. There is a distinct difference in the HH between the "Ridgeline" (being interior to the bug net) and the "suspension" lines which hold the hammock to the trees and to which the tarp attaches in a stock HH set up. Then to throw in a "Tarp ridgeline" and I get kind of confused as to what is being referred to when just the term "ridgeline" is used. That to _me_ is inside the bug net and is not accessible to the tarp connections.
    pics are coming.

forgive me if i get the terminology wrong. there is some droop in the suspension lines as they run toward the hammock from the trees. there is currently no other line or ridgeline in use (i was toying with the idea of adding another support line under the top of the fly so i could really crank down the side lines and remove the slack in the fly.).

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock

notice the hook opening from the tension.

a clear shot of the hook setup. notice the slingshot just hanging after experimentation.

tight perimeter loose flapping top.

slight breeze blowing but still illustrates the slack at the top though the edges are pulled pretty tight.

illustrating the droop/sag in the suspension lines. the breeze is lifting the loose center.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    'Cranking it down' is the wrong way to go. It looks like you just need to try tying your support ropes higher on the trees, so that the suspension is less horizontal. The recommended angle is 30º.

That will remove a lot of the 'drop' when you weight the hammock. But, the stock HH tarp will always be somewhat loose in an occupied hammock, because it is tied to the suspension itself. If you want a taut tarp, tie the ends directly to the trees seperately of the suspension.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    'Cranking it down' is the wrong way to go. It looks like you just need to try tying your support ropes higher on the trees, so that the suspension is less horizontal. The recommended angle is 30º.

That will remove a lot of the 'drop' when you weight the hammock. But, the stock HH tarp will always be somewhat loose in an occupied hammock, because it is tied to the suspension itself. If you want a taut tarp, tie the ends directly to the trees seperately of the suspension.
    just got back inside. i was at approx 20*. moved up and loosened up suspension till i had 28-30* tried the hh fly tensioners but hooks open before it tightens. next tied fly to tree on both ends and fly is well above the HH ridgeline now but still loose at the top in the middle despite my best efforts to adjust the the sides.

honestly it seems like the center of the rainfly is stretched out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast