Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ok.... i am about to say something that might really sound stupid. I mean absolutely no criticism here. If what I am suggesting turns out to be correct it is a very easy thing to do. HH has a tendancy to not like to be messed around with in separate pieces. So...

Is it possible that you are hanging your tarp oriented the wrong way? By that I mean attaching the ground corners to the suspension lines? The HH stock tarp is asymetrical and as such the two corners which get staked out to the ground will not line up with each other. It looks to me like you are stretching the tarp on the bias along the peak of the tarp. If memory serves that tarps is not cut square. There is a grain that runs from one suspension line to the other and if you pull on that grain it will tighten nicely. But if you hang from the ground corners you will pull the bias and send the whole shooting match flapping in the breeze.

You will have the same flapping problems no matter where you tie the tarp is you are pulling the wrong corners. Just to humor me.... go out and hand the tarp from the other corners and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: On second thought that sounds so stupid I am beginning to question my own samity. I don't have my stock tarp any more so I can't even look at it. I cut it up to make doors for my HH hex tarp. There's just something about the way that is hanging that looks wrong to me. And the corners is the only thing I can think of.

Edit edit: I've looked at some other pics of the HH stock tarp and I can't tell if there is a problem or not. So to quote the great Emily Litella... : "Never mind!"
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 09-06-2009 at 18:38.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Ok.... i am about to say something that might really sound stupid. I mean absolutely no criticism here. If what I am suggesting turns out to be correct it is a very easy thing to do. HH has a tendancy to not like to be messed around with in separate pieces. So...

Is it possible that you are hanging your tarp oriented the wrong way? By that I mean attaching the ground corners to the suspension lines? The HH stock tarp is asymetrical and as such the two corners which get staked out to the ground will not line up with each other. It looks to me like you are stretching the tarp on the bias along the peak of the tarp. If memory serves that tarps is not cut square. There is a grain that runs from one suspension line to the other and if you pull on that grain it will tighten nicely. But if you hang from the ground corners you will pull the bias and send the whole shooting match flapping in the breeze.

You will have the same flapping problems no matter where you tie the tarp is you are pulling the wrong corners. Just to humor me.... go out and hand the tarp from the other corners and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: On second thought that sounds so stupid I am beginning to question my own samity. I don't have my stock tarp any more so I can't even look at it. I cut it up to make doors for my HH hex tarp. There's just something about the way that is hanging that looks wrong to me. And the corners is the only thing I can think of.
    yes it is possible i had the fly on wrong but i don't think so. when draped over the HH ridge the hammock tie outs lined up with the fly corners. and there are tie out strings on the ground corners. alas, i have taken the whole shebang down in frustration. perhaps tommorow i'll give it another try.

please remember that the perimeter is tight and the center top is loose. the breeeze blowing over the fly made an upward curve in it in a few of the pictures causing some weirdness.

any thoughts on the way that perimeter is stretched taut? in the one pic you can clearly see that the fly is tight about 12-16 inches in all the way around and then gets flappy inside there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by volks-man View Post
    when draped over the HH ridge the hammock tie outs lined up with the fly corners.
    Yeah I understand that, But by flipping the tarp around you should be able to do the same thing. But just seems like such a weird error to make I can't figure out how you do it. Did you tie the corner guy outs to the tarp or did they come attached?

any thoughts on the way that perimeter is stretched taut? in the one pic you can clearly see that the fly is tight about 12-16 inches in all the way around and then gets flappy inside there.
    That's precisely the thing that makes me wonder if you are pulling on a wrong bias. But that brings us back to the wrong corners attached to the suspension which is where I am stuck saying... "NAH... it can't be that."

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ok... try this indoors and it will answer the question once and for all. Lay the tarp out on the floor and measure the distance between to two suspension attachments. It should be roughly 132" The other diagonal is about 18" shorter at 114" according to spec. 18" difference is small enough that unless you are specifically looking for it you _might_ miss it given the asym cut of the tarp in the first place. That way you don't have to set the whole shebang up again.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Yeah I understand that, But by flipping the tarp around you should be able to do the same thing. But just seems like such a weird error to make I can't figure out how you do it. Did you tie the corner guy outs to the tarp or did they come attached?

That's precisely the thing that makes me wonder if you are pulling on a wrong bias. But that brings us back to the wrong corners attached to the suspension which is where I am stuck saying... "NAH... it can't be that."
    this is why i asked for help, i never would have thought of that, 'wrong corners'. i didn't tie the tie out lines on to the fly. the nice chinese folks that assembled it for mr. hennessey did.

stay tuned: i have another pic coming.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    i didn't tie the tie out lines on to the fly. the nice chinese folks that assembled it for mr. hennessey did.

stay tuned: i have another pic coming.
    heh... you'd think the assemblers would get it right.... but I've heard of weirder things happening. Check the measurements just for jollies

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    heh... you'd think the assemblers would get it right.... but I've heard of weirder things happening. Check the measurements just for jollies

the odd perspective to fit the whole thing in the shot kinda hides it but..........

between the corners at the bottom and top of the screen measures approx 109 and they have strings tied on them. the left and right corners measure approx 129 and were the ones i had on the suspension lines.

where does this leave me?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It would seem the guy out lines _are_ assmebled correctly. Which leaves right back at square one. Don't worry about the differences in dimensions. The specs are unfinished size and you measured the finished. so that is within margin.
    The fabric looks good on the floor. It sounds like one of those things you may have to get used to until you can get somewhere at a group hang and let people take a look at the rig in person. I'm stumped. I have nothing more to suggest. Find a local member if available and get together and mess around with it. If you are anywhere near central PA I'd be more than happy to get together.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    It would seem the guy out lines _are_ assmebled correctly. Which leaves right back at square one. Don't worry about the differences in dimensions. The specs are unfinished size and you measured the finished. so that is within margin.
    The fabric looks good on the floor. It sounds like one of those things you may have to get used to until you can get somewhere at a group hang and let people take a look at the rig in person. I'm stumped. I have nothing more to suggest. Find a local member if available and get together and mess around with it. If you are anywhere near central PA I'd be more than happy to get together.
    i live in coastal virginia. central PA huh?......... walked all over the state college area not too long ago!
    i have been doing small sections of PA MID STATE TRAIL. i am going to be on the section above pa route 45 near r.b. winter state park (as memory serves) next, in the fall. i also have people not too far from hazleton and york PA.
    short of bumping in to a local HF member.....
    i will probably wind up adding a walmart fake paracord ridgeline to the fly with a simple slipnot around the first tree, maybe a figure 9 on the second, and some prussics to pull it out a bit. after that my slingshot tensioners will do a spiffy job of hoding the fly down and taut. add a few drip lines and i'm all set.

it adds up to more weight and more time to set-up but maybe it is worth it to be rid of the aggravation?

your help and suggestions have been much appreciated!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    i live in coastal virginia.
    You might be close to Jacks-R-Better? If so, contact them for a visit. I'm certain they will be able to help you in person.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast