DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie

climashield apex UQ

hey guys. apologies if this has been asked and answered before but I've searched for days without finding the exact answer I'm looking for. I'm planning on making a UQ out of 5.0 climashield apex and ive got my rough dimensions but I need to know how much bigger the outer layer of fabric needs to be than the insulation and inner layer? also is it recommended to dart it or just sew around the edge and call it good?

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    I recently made an underquilt out of two layers of 5.0 Climashield. For the differential on the outer layer, I just took the height of the insulation times two, and added that to the width of the outer layer (my insulation was about 3” thick, so I added 6” to the width of my outer layer). I did use darts on my outer layer – I just made two darts on each end, 3” wide each (12” deep), which got the ends of my outer layer back down to match the width of the inner layer. I was a little sketchy on the darts, as I had never done them before, but it’s really much simpler than it seems (I probably spent an hour researching darts on HF, and about 5 minutes marking/sewing/cutting them). Overall I’m very pleased with how the quilt turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I recently made an underquilt out of two layers of 5.0 Climashield. For the differential on the outer layer, I just took the height of the insulation times two, and added that to the width of the outer layer (my insulation was about 3” thick, so I added 6” to the width of my outer layer). I did use darts on my outer layer – I just made two darts on each end, 3” wide each (12” deep), which got the ends of my outer layer back down to match the width of the inner layer. I was a little sketchy on the darts, as I had never done them before, but it’s really much simpler than it seems (I probably spent an hour researching darts on HF, and about 5 minutes marking/sewing/cutting them). Overall I’m very pleased with how the quilt turned out.
    Any pics of this? Im thinking of doing something similar

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    this was the exact information I was looking for. I definitely agree with maddog pictures would be great. when I get my materials and dimensions squared up I will be putting a start to finish thread up to help out people with the same questions I had.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    The ones I made were very basic in design. I used an inner lining of black 1.0 rip stop and an outer shell of 1.3 DWR rip stop. I cut each to have a 2" edge extension around the Climashield. Then I folded the fabric over the edge and stitched so that I had two channels running lengthwise for the shock cord that supports the hammock and two along the ends for tensioning shut the air gaps. They have performed well.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
    Any pics of this? Im thinking of doing something similar
    Not of the build process, sorry. If you search HF for "underquilt darts", there are some threads with build pics.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Not of the build process, sorry. If you search HF for "underquilt darts", there are some threads with build pics.
    I have to say that from what I've found that you don't need darts on a single layer apex underquilt unless you're fitting it to a hennessey. The end channels pull it just tight enough, and if you dart iid think you'll end up with a far more compressed section.

I say this also having built two single layer 5oz Apex UQs and having no issues to date.

Edit: here's a link to the old diy instructions for kickaa$$ quilts Potomac that was designed for the hennessey. If you look at the other quilts they make for regular gathered end hammocks you'll notice that they're not darted.

http://angrysparrow.com/hammock_info/kickass_quilt.pdf
    Last edited by Monkeyboy42; 02-05-2015 at 19:40.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff

climashield apex UQ

To clarify, I didn't dart the Climashield - just the outer shell, to account for the differential cut. Without darting the shell, I would have had two different lengths to sew together.

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Thanks for all the great information guys. I've got my material on the way from RBTR and have a plan in mind to make a 3/4 length UQ. I think ill go with the darts on the outer layer of ripstop so that I wont have to deal with folds in the stich and will have no concerns with insulation compression.(im a rather big guy and this was one of my biggest concerns) As soon as the material comes in and I get some time(and a new thread injector) ill get to work and see how it turns out. I will post pics and how I went about it when I get done. thanks for all the info and the fast replies. this forum is AWESOME.

That would be great! I plan to order a ridge runner soon and wanted to make a single layer climashield 5.0 UQ for it. I'm reading lots of diff DIY threads and piecing together the info to try my own version of this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast