Hammock
    myog parallelogram hammock
    Tarp
    myog hex rainfly
    Insulation
    myog down karostep
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Can both the hammock and the tarp be attatched to a single line?

Hi all,
    I've been looking for an answer to a question, with the amazing strength of amsteel and other similar cordage, why wouldn't you attach both the hammock and the tarp to the same line? the only thing i can think of is wind, are there other reasons?

I had a look and don't think this question has been answered yet but my apologies if it was and I missed it.

also apologies for terrible drawing - it's just there to get the idea across, so i'm not suggesting a specific method for how one might actually go about doing this
    HammockQuestion.png

cheers,
    Worm

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The primary issue that is difficult to correct is that when you weight the hammock it will sag bringing the V of the suspension running up to the trees closer together and now your tarp is sagging and loose. Hennessy has been doing the single suspension for years and many folks change out to a separate line for the tarp. It lets you pitch the tarp in the appropriate position for the conditions. High for good air flow on a warm night, low and tight for heavy rain and wind.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hennessy Hammocks attaches the tarp to the hammock suspension. It doesn't work very well, in my experience. Your idea is similar to a single line suspension, which a few people do, but I don't think they're trying to attach the tarp too. Whatever you do in the hammock (swinging, for example) will also be happening to the tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    myog parallelogram hammock
    Tarp
    myog hex rainfly
    Insulation
    myog down karostep
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks very much for answering, that makes a lot of sense. oh well, back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    The primary issue that is difficult to correct is that when you weight the hammock it will sag bringing the V of the suspension running up to the trees closer together and now your tarp is sagging and loose. Hennessy has been doing the single suspension for years and many folks change out to a separate line for the tarp. It lets you pitch the tarp in the appropriate position for the conditions. High for good air flow on a warm night, low and tight for heavy rain and wind.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As pgibson said, its nice to have the flexibility is set ups for different weather conditions.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I do this all the time when hanging at home. and plan to experiment with it some while camping. Because of tie out limitations at home I attach my tarp to the hammock suspension, in my case it is web straps, with a short length of shock cord at each end of the tarp to keep tension when the hammock is loaded or unloaded. Because my distance between supports is short (at home) my tarp is connected pretty close to the outer supports (trees or posts) so there is not much movement of the tarp when the hammock swings. I find that it works very good and eliminates running a tarp ridge line.
    On my 'house tarp' I just have a loop of shock cord and a carabiner at each end of the ridge line and clip it to a Dutch 'strap buckle' that is threaded onto the suspension webbing. It does have its limitations but also has some appeal (to me). With a diamond pitch, which I am limited to at home, it makes for a quick and simple setup with only 2 tie outs and stakes.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    UW Multicam
    Tarp
    SF or Stars
    Suspension
    UCR's

Hammock
    Pak-it-Lite F.O.B
    Tarp
    Pak-it-Lite Fly
    Insulation
    Quechua A200 UL
    Suspension
    Pak-it-Lite
    Images
    Pak-it-lite use this very principle in all their hammock systems... http://camphammocks.com/index.html
    Watch the video to see how.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Maybe I'm wrong, I think the closest trial to this came from BearChaser in this thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=suspension

I tried this for a season with a single 1/8 Amsteel line with butterfly loops in the middle to attach the hammock and whoopie-sling type loops on each end to attach to the huggers.

It worked, but I moved away from it again, because I didn't feel comfortable about the tension (shear force according to the hang calculator) put on the hugger. Also it didn't really bring me the expected ease-and-speed setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast