Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think I'd chime in here by adding my $0.02 and sharing some thoughts as well. You can certainly buy whatever hammock that you want, and getting off of the ground is often its own reward. However, if your concern is about cost benefit here's an option:

1. Make a homemade gathered-end tablecloth hammock. This will cost you around $20 and you'll feel like a million bucks every time you sleep in it. You can combine that with a blue tarp, simple bug protection etc...
    2. Once you've decided on what features/options/etc... you want, look again. You may be able to save more than the $20 by buying used on these forums, even the WBBB's come up for sale from time to time.

When you're ready for option 2, you'll be much more informed, and be able to purchase exactly what you want and will have the wisdom of some experience to help you make that decision.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Cheap is not always a price tag.
    Cheap does not always mean poor quality.
    Cheap is sort of relevant.
    What is cheap to one consumer is expensive to another.

In my life I go for quality and long life. I have gone totally overboard with my Hanging. I started with a double nest ENO, that was mispriced (probably) I think it was around $12 or 15 USD the straps were also very inexpensive. I really liked Hanging, keeping the backside warm was the first thing on the learning curve.

I very reluctantly spent big cash for me on a Hennessy. For me it was worth the $ because tent camping was absolute pain and agony, plus I could only sleep for maybe an hour if I were lucky, then a long sit in the sun to get my body where I could move. With the hammock I could sleep all night, sleep without pain, get up with the light and walk without pain! My hammock was worth every penny, to me.

Now a few years down the line, I am a confirmed Hanger. My ENO rubbed on something and a whole developed. I have no idea how that happened because I am fussy about my gear. I think the problem probably was the fabric of the ENO was not as resistant as other types of fabric.

As others have pointed out you are paying for the quality of materials, product development, guarantee, customer service and buying American. I like small businesses, I purchase or use their services whenever possible. Most of the time it does cost a bit more, however the $ goes back into the economy to make the country stronger.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Um, not this year, right? You were going to try it out first, and not in Feb getting ready for March? Right?
    Very good question. I certainly hope you're not going this year. Sleeping on the ground is easy; pitch tent, throw down pad, lay on ground (or skip the tent if you're in a shelter). There's a bit more of a learning curve to hammocks.

Since you're cheap, you probably don't want to buy an underquilt, so you may want a double layer hammock to manage the pad. Many people try to skimp on weight by getting a minimalist tarp and using an UQP with it, or using a poncho on the end where rain or wind is coming. Others think they can mitigate the effects of wind and wind-blown precipitation with site selection, using landscape features (hills, bushes, etc.). On a thru, I'd rather have a tarp with doors: I don't want to be "site selecting" at the end of a long day of hiking. especially when winds can shift after you've carefully selected your site to mitigate the effects of buying a skimpy tarp.

Cheap also usually means heavy, and heavy will get old quickly if you're hiking 2200 miles in six months. You're definitely going to need some time to hone your system and figure out your own hanging style.

Or you could just wing it, but that may end up in an aborted thru hike till you figure stuff out and get the right equipment for you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I'd say if you're doing a thru-hike, spend the $$$ for the WBBB.

If you're putzing around in the back yard or a camping area where if it fails you can sleep in your car for the night, sure, try the cheapo. Even better, DIY one yourself! I love the one Imade myself and have a blast with it, but I sure as heck wouldn't use it on a thru-hike!!!

My $.02
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vela A. View Post
    I'm all set to buy a Warbonnet Blackbird. Can't wait! But every now and then I see a $20 hammock an wonder why I'm not just getting one of those and a bug net. I'm sure they aren't a comfortable and amazing. I would appreciate it if you would all tell me this too. Because I'm cheap and I would rather only spend $20. But I want a great hammock for my AT thru hike! So.... why shouldn't I buy a cheap hammock?
    How much money do you have to spend and have you looked at the price of underquilts and tarps?

If you have say, $500 to spend, then get a $50 hammock a $100 tarp, a $200 underquilt, a $50 bug net, and a $100 Top quilt. If you already have a sleeping bag, use that as an underquilt and split that money between the underquilt and tarp.

The hammock should be the least expensive part of your set up. A lot of people go big money on a hammock only to find they now can't afford the insulation.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Go with the WBBB and one of two things will happen. You will probably thank yourself later or you will sell it for almost what you paid for the premium product.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Personally, I love the footbox and find it adds comfort - I wish I could get a no-net hammock with footbox.
    Like the footbox? Just sew a triangular piece of fabric down there like the Warbonnet guy does. You don't need a bug net to make a footbox work, just gather the top of it a bit with elastic or a Knotty Mod type gather. I have done that to all my open hammocks. Actually works quite nice.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ uq /DIY tq
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Well I did it. The WBBB was the one I wanted and the one to beat. Nothing did so I got it and am glad I did. It is really easy to set up. Having never once set up a hammock and tarp before I got it up my first try without dragging everything on the ground. Since I sprung for the hammock I really wanted I decide to save some money and DIY my tarp. I made an 11X 8.5 silpoly hex/ cat cuts an reinforced all of the tie out points with a slightly heavier fabric. I think it cost about $55. I am also making my synthetic top quilt. I am going to buy my UQ, because I understand bottom insulation is more important than top an I want to be sure of what I'm going out with temp wise. I am going with the Jarbidge. Bulkier but I can't find anything negative about it, it's got the temp rating I want, and the price is really too hard to pass up. Totally open to alternate suggestions though if you know of something comparable.
    Yes, my thru is this year, April. And I know it might sound crazy to make such a big gear change so close to it but A) I am an experienced hiker B) I am not afraid to learn as I go, even if I look like a noob the first few weeks C) I have plenty of time to set up an sleep in my hammock between now and when I leave. It's hanging out there right now.
    As soon as I actually get my UQ I will likely not sleep in the house unless I have to. The hammock is more comfortable then my bed. I have 100% confidence in the gear and my ability to use it and keep getting better at it. I am not a perfectionist. The thought of potentially having some rough nights sleep while I get the hang of it doesn't scare me. As long as I don't fall!
    I got the 1.1 double layer because I wanted the option to add a sleep pad to it, though now that I have it I doubt I will ever do that. A small regret, if i can call it that.
    Thanks for all of the advice!
    Last edited by Vela A.; 02-24-2015 at 13:57.
    Don't think, just go

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good on you to take the leap! I have two - one original BB in 1.1dbl, and when the xlc came I got one of those (in 1.7 sl) since I'm 186cm. I'm done gear shopping, because I can't believe it'll ever get better than that.

I can maybe alleviate your small regret somewhat: the 1.1 is much smoother to the skin - well, at least my skin - than the 1.7. I like that feel a whole lot more, I don't know if you would, but maybe you can convince yourself that it was the right call after all!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    I can maybe alleviate your small regret somewhat: the 1.1 is much smoother to the skin - well, at least my skin - than the 1.7. I like that feel a whole lot more, I don't know if you would, but maybe you can convince yourself that it was the right call after all!
    I agree. My 1.1DL WBBB material is basically like silk. The 1.7 material (my Traveler hammock) is more like a canvas. Well not really, but it's hard to describe. I guess you could say it's closer to the material you'd see on your everyday backpack or duffel bag (but most likely thinner). I like them both and I hardly ever have any skin contact with them anyway...won't see me out in that hot crap weather!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ uq /DIY tq
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The fabric really does feel amazing. I wasn't expecting it to be so silky.
    Any thoughts on the Jarbidge? The 3 season is only $100. I considered making my UQ but I can't make one fr much less than that I figure (and save the effort for other prep work)
    The other I considered was the Greylock 3. There is something appealing to me about synthetic. But really it's about price. 25 ish degrees for $100? If I could find down for that price I would buy 2!!!!
    Don't think, just go

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast