WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you want the uq for a thru, you should really consider down. It packs smaller and weighs less (for the same warmth). Yes, it comes with a price tag, but once you spent the money, you'll probably not regret it. I certainly never have. It's amazing how much warmth such a small and light piece of equipment can hold.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBeard13 View Post
    I'd say if you're doing a thru-hike, spend the $$$ for the WBBB.

If you're putzing around in the back yard or a camping area where if it fails you can sleep in your car for the night, sure, try the cheapo. Even better, DIY one yourself! I love the one Imade myself and have a blast with it, but I sure as heck wouldn't use it on a thru-hike!!!

My $.02
    Hmmm...I would have the opposite advice. I have a BB XLC double layer 1.7. With the bugnet, sack, and carabiners it weights in at just over 37oz. That's pretty heavy to carry on a long hike. Comfortable and well made, but heavy compared to other options. I'm taking my son to start his AT through hike in a few weeks and spending the first 10 days with him. That's the longest continuous hike I've done and already thinking twice about the heavy BB. My son's whole sleep system (tent, pad, sleeping bag) is that same weight.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well you've heard all the definitions of cheap so i'll skip that lecture . Seriously i had to learn to sleep in my hammock and still I have nights that don't offer the sleep I require. NOTHING is as comfortable as my bed at home. So what's my point? What you pay for a hammock may have nothing to do with comfort. I happen to own a wbbb and really like it for all the aforementioned reasons but my go to is a d.i.y.b.s.e. (doityourselfbysomeoneelse) I bought from another forum member who made some extras after making them for his scout troop. I'm by no means as experienced as the rest of the group, I just have an opinion. For me it was just a lot of trial and error which ultimately ended in my possessing about 6 hammocks.

Good luck with your hike!!

JoJo
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ordered a hammock from dutch for 30 that came with an 8 dollar double ended stuff sack so I guess that puts you at a 20 dollar hammock with no suspension.

The hammocks with the built in bug nets are a little more pricey, I opted for a bugnet from warbonnet. I like the net as a separate piece.

Look at a WB traveler with all of your suspension and a dutch hammock with all suspension and pricing ends up close to the same.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ uq /DIY tq
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If you want the uq for a thru, you should really consider down. It packs smaller and weighs less (for the same warmth). Yes, it comes with a price tag, but once you spent the money, you'll probably not regret it. I certainly never have. It's amazing how much warmth such a small and light piece of equipment can hold.
    The weight and compressability of down is appealing. However with 2 of everything to buy it just isn't possible. We could buy one down, an the other would have to wait, or buy two synthetic now. Also, without getting into a whole thing about it, if I buy down I prefer to do it second hand. If I'm buying new I almost always go synthetic. I did look for used first (I always go used if I can no matter the material) but shockingly no one wants to sell their under quilts!
    Don't think, just go

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234