Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Really disappointed

So let me start by saying I love my ENO Hammock. It's a double-nest with Atlas Straps. What I am extremely disappointed in is what just happened. I thought that when I bought atlas straps, a 400lb weight rating per strap would be totally fine for me being 6'2" 310lbs. I was wrong, I sat right into my hammock just now after using it for about a month and the stitching on the loop I've been using pooped right loose.

Anyone have an explanation? Cause I'm a bit irritated.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Faulty goods. Return to manufacturer and get a replacement. The only complaint I've ever heard about Atlas straps is they weigh too much.

Though I am wondering exactly what you're doing with that paracord and carabiner. Paracord is generally not suited for hammock suspensions or ridgelines due to its stretch.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-31-2015 at 14:29.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    I had the same thing happen and I weigh considerably less. The atlas straps are not my normal choice, but I've used them several times without a problem. I've used them only for casual hanging, not sleeping. That would be a big bummer if it happened while you were asleep. I forgot where I bought mine, so I can't take them back.
    I've used the kammock python straps many times with no problems at all.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    I had the same thing happen and I weigh considerably less. The atlas straps are not my normal choice, but I've used them several times without a problem. I've used them only for casual hanging, not sleeping. That would be a big bummer if it happened while you were asleep. I forgot where I bought mine, so I can't take them back.
    I've used the kammock python straps many times with no problems at all.
    Maybe check about returning them straight back to ENO? Maybe a pic of the damaged one and they'd just send you a replacement out?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I bought my ENO as a lark while traveling. The carbines corroded really fast, tested the DN once, did not get it wet or anything. Took it out a couple of weeks later the carabiners were corroded.

I called ENO, talked to a very nice person, even though I had the hammock over the warranty period, ENO sent me out two new carabiners (no corrosion on them after 5 years).

I would decidedly call ENO, also Email them the image of the damaged goods. ENO publishes weight, they warrantee their product is safe for people under a given weight 400 pounds I believe. My daughter's companion uses my straps, they are pre Atlas Straps, however, they have held him several times, he is close to the 400 pound limit. Most straps, hammocks give a wide margin of safety on weight ratings.

Your near oops should not have happened, ENO needs to know the problem and rectify it. Minimally give you new straps that are dependable.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Imloaded Atlas straps with over 300lbs for 100+ nights. No problems.

Did you use them correctly, meaning with the stitching and not against it? The loops should be pulled "down".
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Though I am wondering exactly what you're doing with that paracord and carabiner. Paracord is generally not suited for hammock suspensions or ridgelines due to its stretch.
    That's the way it comes. And that's not paracord.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DD Tarp M
    Insulation
    WB UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Jaycooper is right, that's the rope and carabiner that come stock on the ENO DoubleNest.

I'd go with the others and say to contact ENO directly, their customer service reps are really friendly and helpful!

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Did you use them correctly, meaning with the stitching and not against it? The loops should be pulled "down".
    This was my thought too. Atlas straps have a top and bottom end. You should be attaching them to the tree so that the part you hook the carabiner to is resting on the loop of the strap, not on the stitching.

I might be a bit hard to tell from the pic but you can see that the bottom side of the loop is where you'd hook and if you use the strap backwards you'd bear weight directly on the stitching.

atlas_1_640x480.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I haven't looked at my Atlas straps but I'm pretty sure Python straps, though a bit heavier, are sewn so if one loop pulls out, you are caught by the next loop. If Atlas straps don't have that feature, I'd consider switching. I bought a set of Atlas only because we they offer and XL length and we have large trees in the NW. But so far the Python straps have worked fine.

As far as the tearing, maybe the weight limit is based on an assumed 30 degree hang. If you were hanging much tighter than that, and you were close to the limit already, the increase force vector could exceed the limit. You can use a hammock calculator (Google it) to see how the forces increase as you hang tighter than 30 degrees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast