Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    1.9 polyripstop diy
    Tarp
    monsoon
    Suspension
    diy woopies

What is a quality rainfly for norcal without going to a bottomless tent?

cant decide on a design for rain/wind and the constant drip from being under the redwoods and in the rain forest valleys and canyons of mendocino county and points beyond.for example the hh stock rainfly just dont cut it and a square tarp is just a pain and floppy no matter how you secrue it.i know theres several designs out there that are just amazoning,but finding one thats not to big but functional is kinda of a challenge.we dont have the sub freezing temps here but the wet is always an issue,the ocean breeze and fog/drizzle is constant.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A four-season tarp like the Warbonnet Superfly should work fine.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    1.9 polyripstop diy
    Tarp
    monsoon
    Suspension
    diy woopies
    its a great design but thin,what are the pros and cons of that design with a thicker material?and what kind of material is best without going to thick.reason for wanting a thicker lid for my hammock is i had a squirl eating cone nuts above our camp and droping small branches onto my tarp,some of the sticks pierced the fabric and 1 came threw.just got me thinkn i want a little more protection from above.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Pros: more durable
    Cons: heavier, probably more expensive because you will need to have it custom made

Images
    UGQ's will make you a tarp with a thicker silnylon.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    One option would be to have one of the vendors here make you a tarp with a heavier top piece and lighter weight side panels. The heavier top would also have a higher waterproof rating plus no top seams to possibly leak.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allowishus View Post
    its a great design but thin,what are the pros and cons of that design with a thicker material?and what kind of material is best without going to thick.reason for wanting a thicker lid for my hammock is i had a squirl eating cone nuts above our camp and droping small branches onto my tarp,some of the sticks pierced the fabric and 1 came threw.just got me thinkn i want a little more protection from above.
    A tarp is designed for weather protection, not squirrel protection or tree branch protection. No matter how heavy or thick a tarp you get, you're never going to be safe from falling branches (unless the tarp is made of metal). Sounds like you're being a little reactionary based on a single incident.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allowishus View Post
    What material was that tarp made out of? "Thin" and "thick" aren't very descriptive of the type of material. The tarp suggested above is a 1.5 oz/yd SilNylon. I've never had any problem with the size of branches a squirrel eating cone nuts is capable of dropping on a tarp piercing SilNylon.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    If a squirrel sends a branch down on my cuben and puts a hole in it I am going to eat him for dinner.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I've never had any problem with the size of branches a squirrel eating cone nuts is capable of dropping on a tarp piercing SilNylon.
    Yeah, me neither. And I had squirrels throwing everything they had on my tarp for 1-2 hours or so... I use WB silnylon tarps and haven't had any problems whatsoever up to now. Silnylon is a very robust fabric, and I really wouldn't worry about durability. Treat it with reasonable care, and you will be able to enjoy your tarp for a long time. After my experiences with "normal" silnylon (I think WB uses 1.1oz sil), I don't see any reason of getting a heavier tarp. If my tarp gets damaged, I think there's a good chance that it can be repaired. And if it's too badly damaged, I probably have more pressing issues...

With regards to your "which tarp" question: have a look at the WB Edge or the WL Tadpole. Both are light and small, but still offer quite a bit of protection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast