Asym Catenary Cut Tarp?

Hey Everyone,
    First of all thank you all for making such an awesome forum! I'm really new to the forums and new to hanging and i've really loved both so far. I've been getting the DIY bug lately and I've been able to find everything I've needed so far on the forums. But I do have a couple of lingering questions:

1. I'm making my first tarp and I've decided, in order to save money, weight, etc., to make an asym tarp but I've not been able to find any information on catenary cut asym tarps. Is there a reason for this? do people make them? Would it have the same effect of getting a tighter pitch on an asym?

2. Tie out reinforcement: I've seen a hundred different styles, what's your opinion on what works best? (Links to how-to's would also be appreciated.)

Thanks in advance, I think this will be a good thread! Feel free to answer one or both questions!

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce88 View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    First of all thank you all for making such an awesome forum! I'm really new to the forums and new to hanging and i've really loved both so far. I've been getting the DIY bug lately and I've been able to find everything I've needed so far on the forums. But I do have a couple of lingering questions:

1. I'm making my first tarp and I've decided, in order to save money, weight, etc., to make an asym tarp but I've not been able to find any information on catenary cut asym tarps. Is there a reason for this? do people make them? Would it have the same effect of getting a tighter pitch on an asym?

2. Tie out reinforcement: I've seen a hundred different styles, what's your opinion on what works best? (Links to how-to's would also be appreciated.)

Thanks in advance, I think this will be a good thread! Feel free to answer one or both questions!
    My understanding has always been that cat cuts are designed to help the tarp stay flat and tight when you have multiple guys per side. Picture a hex tarp with (minimum) 6 guys: 2x ridgeline, 2x left side, 2x right side. Getting the balance right between the two guys that share a side panel can be tricky.

With an asym, you only have four corners, so everything pulls tight in each cardinal direction. Cat cuts might therefore be unnecessary.

Asym Catenary Cut Tarp?

So that does make sense, but it still helps in a hex tarp to put cat cuts in the spaces between the side pull outs and the ridgeline pull outs right? Wouldn't these spaces be a similar condition to the short side of an asym?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I would think one reason to not cat cut an asym would be you are further reducing the coverage of what is already what I consider minimal coverage. If you are comfortable with it though, go for it!

I use a grosgrain that has been sewn along the edge of the tarp and then formed into a loop and this has worked well for me (took a total of 3 pieces). I added another layer as well but that was more for guy line storage than anything. I have also discontinued the use of the D rings on the guy lines and just larks head onto the loop. I do still use the D rings on the ridge line because I add grosgrain along the ridge and it forms a better loop that I can sew shut. The wide loop in the photo will fray with movement of the D ring.

16.jpg

12.jpg

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I would do it this way: http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...arp-lowres.jpg

However, I would not sew the ridgeline using a flat felled french seam.
    I would sew the layers only together approx. 3/8" from edge. Then turn inside-out and sew on a sturdy 1" nylon gross grain binding like it is done on all WB tarps. Before you sew the gross grain you should roll hem all sides.

Perhaps I would hem the edges exactly the same way as it is done on all MacCat Tarps in order to add more stability to the fabric. Today I got a lightweight polyamide grossgrain ribbon for binding edges. ~7/8" wide. It weights only ~5.5g/yard. Let say you need approx. 17.5 yards gross grain for your tarp. If you use such a lightweight grossgrain for your tarp it would weight ~ 100g = 3.5oz more but you would add much stability to your tarp and your edges would look very nice. For the tie-outs I would use plastic tri-rings and 3/4" or 1" sturdy nylon webbing. I would also use the same nylon webbing for the side panel pulls. I would sew all webbing parts the same way like it is done in case of der WB superfly. This saves weight. It is relatively easy to sew and should be very stable.

The reason why I recommend nylon webbing and nylon gross-grain is that you most likely have to seal your side pannel pulls. Perhaps even the RL gross grain. I think silnil or similar alternatives grip better on nylon than on polyester. If you want to use polyester webbing you should check out this problem first.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post502402

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

http://shaneandpamela.com/cpg/albums...110130_097.JPG

Beware! The reinforcement parts for the Mac Cat Tarp are not easy to sew. I think the way it is done on the WB superfly is much easier and has at least the same durability or is even better.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 02-04-2015 at 18:17.

Quote Originally Posted by TPole View Post
    I would think one reason to not cat cut an asym would be you are further reducing the coverage of what is already what I consider minimal coverage
    This is one of my concerns. I guess one way to do it would be to just make it without the cat cuts, see if it pitches the way I want it to, assess the amount of coverage, and if I really want to add the cat cuts I can.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    An asym diamond tarp is always going to be at least a little floppy, due to the lack of a ridgeline. Cat cutting it isn't going to fix that, and it is going to ensure that you have less coverage under a tarp that is pushing the boundaries of necessary coverage already.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    If you do put in a cat cut, I'd do it very shallow. Maybe 1" deep max along the long edge.

thanks guys for the input. I'll post how it goes. I'm just going to do it without the cat cuts because I think you're right about it being such minimal coverage to begin with that cutting into that with cat cuts, even if it did help it to pitch a little tighter, might not be worth the loss of coverage.

• + New Posts