Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images

How to hang at exactly 30 degrees? Use your iPhone.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here's a quick pro-tip if you want to know the angle of your suspension and you carry an iPhone.

The built-in iPhone compass app also functions as a level. To access the level run the compass app and then swipe left on the compass to switch to the level feature.

It looks like this:

IMG_3217.PNG

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Good tip. You could also use you hand. Just stick your thumb up and point your index finger out horizontally and the angle from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger is about 30 degrees.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    There is already the ultimate hang calculator for iPhone that has angle function.
    Also you can point your index finger land thumb like a gun and hold your index horizontal. It's 30º for most people.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Renegade; Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Undecided
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    To access the level run the compass app and then swipe left on the compass to switch to the level feature.

It looks like this:

IMG_3217.PNG
    Sweet, I had no idea that was there, thanks!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    +1 on the Ultimate Hang Calculator. It's currently available on both iOS and Android devices – http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

I don't generally use my phone out in the wilderness, but for those who do and want to achieve next-lever precision, this is a handy tool to consider

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have the UH app and have played with it some. And I have played with the compas/angle finder to level some pictures. But in the woods I don't bother with anything further than my eyeball to get the angle close to what I want and then let my back side decide if the comfort is correct.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I agree with above. I try to avoid methods that need batteries. Pointer and thumb in a gun shape is pretty much 30*. So long as you have a ridgeline, it'll always be close enough for government work.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Bag...for now
    Suspension
    Stock Suspensions
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Good tip. You could also use you hand. Just stick your thumb up and point your index finger out horizontally and the angle from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger is about 30 degrees.
    I like this. Don't always have an iPhone with me (nor do I want to), but I always have an iHand on me, plus a spare, and they add zero grams to my kit!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    There is already the ultimate hang calculator for iPhone that has angle function.
    Also you can point your index finger land thumb like a gun and hold your index horizontal. It's 30º for most people.
    Thumbs,

Your choice of words implies I wasted my time writing this post. That it doesn't contribute value because there are already alternatives out there. I don't think that's the case. You've added something positive to the thread by mentioning good alternatives. You always add smart stuff to a thread. I value your input. In this case, by presenting those alternatives in a critical fashion (use of the word "already") you stand to discourage people from trying to share helpful things in the future. I don't think that was your intent. Look to Bubba's response for a positive way to present alternatives that encourages future contribution and collaboration.

I'm aware that these other alternatives exist and they might be a better choice for some people. Every convenient way to measure an angle isn't the point of my post. Which way is best isn't the point of my post. My point is if you have an iPhone in the woods, you've been carrying around a level perhaps without being aware of it. Nothing more, nothing less. One guy has thanked me for it. Others will undoubtedly find it handy. Mission accomplished.

The UH calculator must be found on the app store, and then purchased for $. As an owner of Derek's great book I'm wholly in favor of supporting his efforts. That said, compass/level is pre-installed on an iPhone. It's free. It's already there in the iPocket of your iJeans. No extra planning, effort or money required.

My hands look to be of normal proportions. My index finger and thumb make around a 25-26 degree angle. I described how to use trigonometry to determine that angle in someone else's recent thread. That technique is plenty good for an approximation, but in my case it isn't 30 degrees.

Personally, I always just eyeball my suspension versus measuring with any of these techniques. I'm not sure I notice any appreciable difference in comfort anywhere between 20-40 degrees. The only place I've used the iPhone level has been to measure the angle of my newly acquired Handy Hammock struts while trying to dial-in the mods necessary to make it work with my hammocks. In the case of the struts keeping them close to 60 degrees is required to have them function and hold a load as designed. I could do the same thing with the thumb and index finger trick pointing index finger up, but I wanted to get a more accurate measurement. They are a thing of wonder, but the slightest setup mistake has big consequences. A few degrees off or slight changes in the tension of the guy lines can make a big difference whether a loaded 11' hammock touches the ground or stays 6"-7" above it with those struts.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I get between 30-40 degrees when I try to use my hand. I get exactly 30 degrees when I use the built in compass app. If I wanted to get a rough estimate I'd just use my graduated eye since it's just as accurate as my hand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast