Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    Hey guys, I haven't bought a under quilt yet either... Was thinking of making own, but i have heard horror stories of taking on a project like this... Is it just easier to buy a under quilt already made. Or spend the time looking and buying all materials needed to do yourself... Wife is very handy with sewing and said she would try it for me but not to sure if i want the headache... Any feedback would be nice.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks

Hammock Quilt Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbeam View Post
    Hey guys, I haven't bought a under quilt yet either... Was thinking of making own, but i have heard horror stories of taking on a project like this... Is it just easier to buy a under quilt already made. Or spend the time looking and buying all materials needed to do yourself... Wife is very handy with sewing and said she would try it for me but not to sure if i want the headache... Any feedback would be nice.
    I am an amateur sewer and am very new to DIY. Making my first quilt WAS a slight headache at times. But the second one I'm doing is going a lot smoother.

With DIY you don't always save a lot of money, and if you are a guy who's time is very valuable to you, it may not be worth making it and sinking the time in if it isn't something you will enjoy doing.

Plenty of people have gardens because they love to garden. I tried a garden and realized I'd rather spend more on veggies to not have to do the work. Yet I can sew up hammocks and gear all day.
    It just boils down to if its the sort of thing you enjoy.

There is a great feeling of accomplishment when you finish a project. It's yours all the way from the color choice, the meticulously chosen size and measurements, right down to the crooked stitches here and there. Do it for that reason. Probably don't do it for the cost savings alone.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks

Hammock Quilt Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Runkzachary View Post
    the cheapest I've found isn't very cheap at all. Is the pillow idea really viable?
    The pillow idea is great imo. I've heard others having done the same w good results. There have been mentions of people doing it that way in threads.
    Others have used down from comforters they have found in thrift stores, etc.
    W the comforters you mentioned, a good King-sized comforter may have like 60oz of down? 15oz would get you to 0 (probably) if it's good fill-power down.
    That being said, comforters aren't exactly the most cost efficient normally because a good down comforter is several hundreds of dollars. The pillows work out to a better cost savings.

Again, the biggest negative to this is that the down isn't the water-resistant kind, requiring extra care.
    The other disadvantage is that when you buy down from one of the usual vendors, it comes in nice small bags. W pillows you sort of have to cut it open and reach in. It's a little messy and certainly not precise. You will have to eyeball how much you put in.
    Other than that, I am very happy w my quilts!

Finished and hung:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422639112.406162.jpg

Outer shell before I filled it:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422639146.108852.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    Thanks
    I appreciate the feed back preacher. Can u tell me where I can buy some down. 800 fill... im going to buy fabric from dutch
    Last edited by Jimbeam; 01-30-2015 at 13:12.

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    One that works
    Dream Hammock has a great tool to give you an idea of how much down you would need. Just put in your dimensions and the fill power and it does the work for you. Most quilt manufactures have their 0 degree stuff at 4" of loft.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbeam View Post
    Thanks
    I appreciate the feed back preacher. Can u tell me where I can buy some down. 800 fill... im going to buy fabric from dutch
    Earlier in this thread I linked where I got mine for so cheap.
    More expensive down that has a water-resistant or quick-dry treatment, and may have some better loft can be found at
    Thru-hiker.com
    Ripstopbytheroll.com
    And other places that slip my mind atm.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    It was pointed out by another forum member that the down pillow that I recommended so adamantly actually has a middle layer of feathers.

I had to go pull mine out and cut open the middle layer to confirm.

Meaning it's actually more like 18-20oz of down and about 15 or so oz of feathers.

Just a heads up.

Yeah, unfortunately Preacher is right, I got about a pound of down out of mine...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123