Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Paul, that's some great experience you're sharing with us. I heard from Thru-Hiker that the 2015 run M50 fabric is more breathable and consequently a bit less wind/water resistant than previous runs of the fabric. The new run M50 probably strikes a better balance of these properties for most users, providing a more wind resistant alternative to Argon 67. I do wonder if the vendors get their fabrics scientifically tested for air permeability, down proofness etc. I imagine the tests from a reputable lab would cost a bit.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_qrt View Post
    I do wonder if the vendors get their fabrics scientifically tested for air permeability, down proofness etc. I imagine the tests from a reputable lab would cost a bit.
    Your welcome and we do have our fabric tested by IDFL...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good to know you have your fabric tested, ever thought of selling to the DIY market?

Anyway I just got a bit crazy and ordered some of both the Ventum and 2015 M50 MR fabrics so once I get my hands on them and/or actually get around to making something with them I'll share my thoughts. Not cheap fabrics but curiosity got the better of me in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_qrt View Post
    Anyway I just got a bit crazy and ordered some of both the Ventum and 2015 M50 MR fabrics so once I get my hands on them and/or actually get around to making something with them I'll share my thoughts. Not cheap fabrics but curiosity got the better of me in this case.
    How did the Ventum and M50 work out for you?

Does anyone know if the 2016 run of M50 has changed at all? Curious if it still has the plasticity feel and poor briethability of older runs.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...if I know that the person who's going to be using the underquilts knows how to break wind...
    I'm your guy.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDayne View Post
    How did the Ventum and M50 work out for you?

Does anyone know if the 2016 run of M50 has changed at all? Curious if it still has the plasticity feel and poor briethability of older runs.

Ah I forgot to update this thread with my thoughts. I'll preface my comments by saying that I've used many of the lightweight fabrics for down gear that are available for DIY including Argon 67 & 90, Membrane 10, HyperD 1.0, the nylon taffeta 1.0 from RBTR, Impetus 1.0, Nobul1 and Nobul2. I just mention this to give a basis for my comparisons.

They both seem like very high quality fabrics, my measured weights were 0.78 oz/sq.yd for the M50 (2015 run) and 0.71 oz/sq.yd for the Ventum (I measured 0.66 oz/sq.yd for the Membrane 10 fabric from RBTR for comparison). The Ventum fabric is calendered on both sides, so there is no 'wrong' side and hence is going to be a bit shinier than the 'right' side of most competing fabrics (it's like Pertex Quantum in this regard), whereas the M50 is calendered on one side only. I think this contributes to the M50 having the better feel against the skin of these two fabrics, the Ventum would be OK but the M50 has a very nice feel although it's not quite as soft and smooth as the Membrane 10 and Argon 67. Now in terms of breathability both are less breathable/more wind resistant than both the Membrane 10 and Argon 67 fabrics (Argon 67 is more breathable out of those two), with the M50 a bit less breathable than the Ventum (although it is more breathable than the Nobul2 that I got a couple of years ago and it is acceptably breathable in my opinion). I would say the problems with plasticy feel and poor breathability are resolved in the 2015 M50 and would be a great choice if you want a more wind resistant fabric (as would the Ventum).

Both M50 and Ventum have feel a bit more 'substantial' than the Membrane 10 or Argon 67 fabrics, which makes them great shell fabrics for a down quilt and probably the best available for that purpose in the 10 denier class in my opinion. All of these fabrics are great, it's just a matter of choosing the ones with the best balance of properties you're after for any particular project. We're really spoilt for choice these days!

Thank you very much, that was an excellent comparison!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12