Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I prefer fleece under the TQ. The TQ works better as a wind break. Wind will rob heat from the fleece if on top. Under the TQ, the fleece traps and adds another layer of warm air.
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I wrote a little article about keeping warm at the beginning of winter: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/w...eather-hanging

Hot water bottle or cem heat packs can make a big difference. I have found that the heat packs sold not as hand warmers but the ones in the health section of the store for back muscle heat therapy work the best for me. They feel like they put out more heat than the small hand warmers and last for a very long time.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    As others have mentioned, warm water bottles, puffy clothing, hand warmers, and fleece are all good, inexpensive options (well, the puffy might not be...depends on the deals you find). Also, good headgear, socks, and sleep clothing in general is essential (if you're not counting grams, go by your local army/navy store...more on that in a minute). So is site selection; breaking that wind and avoiding spots with really high humidity are key.

If you're looking for cheap, no-sew insulation and aren't counting grams, try your local Army/Navy store. They're going to have poncho liners for cheap (~$30). One of those can be placed under your top quilt (done in this manner to avoid compressing the down) and will add ~20* to ~30* of warmth. Another two things to keep an eye out for are the polypro long underwear that they sell (incredibly warm for the price tag, but heavy--especially compared with the polyester grid fleeces now on the market) and the M65 jacket and pant liners (also heavy, but definitely the cheapest [list price, at least] and most durable puffy clothing on the market--they use the same material as the poncho liners, but semi-tailored for your body).

Also, check your local WallyWorld for heavier fleece jackets--mine frequently has 'em for ~$15. Durable and cheap, if heavy.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    JacksR'Better has a fleece quilt liner that is really nice. It weighs 18 oz and has a footbox just like th quilts and fits right in the TQ. I love mine, and it can be used as a summer TQ. $29.95 and worth it in my opinion, for what that is worth.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    As others have mentioned, warm water bottles, puffy clothing, hand warmers, and fleece are all good, inexpensive options (well, the puffy might not be...depends on the deals you find). Also, good headgear, socks, and sleep clothing in general is essential (if you're not counting grams, go by your local army/navy store...more on that in a minute). So is site selection; breaking that wind and avoiding spots with really high humidity are key.

If you're looking for cheap, no-sew insulation and aren't counting grams, try your local Army/Navy store. They're going to have poncho liners for cheap (~$30). One of those can be placed under your top quilt (done in this manner to avoid compressing the down) and will add ~20* to ~30* of warmth. Another two things to keep an eye out for are the polypro long underwear that they sell (incredibly warm for the price tag, but heavy--especially compared with the polyester grid fleeces now on the market) and the M65 jacket and pant liners (also heavy, but definitely the cheapest [list price, at least] and most durable puffy clothing on the market--they use the same material as the poncho liners, but semi-tailored for your body).

Also, check your local WallyWorld for heavier fleece jackets--mine frequently has 'em for ~$15. Durable and cheap, if heavy.

Hope it helps!
    I didn't list clothing but I have heavy wool socks, polypro tops & bottoms & a beanie I wear. Somewhere around here I also have a balaclava.

I never thought about a poncho liner as a blanket though

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    JacksR'Better has a fleece quilt liner that is really nice. It weighs 18 oz and has a footbox just like th quilts and fits right in the TQ. I love mine, and it can be used as a summer TQ. $29.95 and worth it in my opinion, for what that is worth.
    That's a thought actually. I was thinking about something similar and talking to my buddy's wife that does a lot of sewing

Hammock
    SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    All of these ideas sound good to me.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I'm not sure how it compares to the JRB item, but I've used a fleece sleeping bag liner as a summer bag and it worked well. I suspect it would add some warmth inside another bag or quilt in winter. Can't beat the price at <$20.
    Coleman Stratus Fleece Sleeping-Bag Liner (Color May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUQM8..._r-AYub1WTMFA6

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlfillingim View Post
    I'm not sure how it compares to the JRB item, but I've used a fleece sleeping bag liner as a summer bag and it worked well. I suspect it would add some warmth inside another bag or quilt in winter. Can't beat the price at <$20.
    Coleman Stratus Fleece Sleeping-Bag Liner (Color May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUQM8..._r-AYub1WTMFA6
    +1 to this, bulky as all get out, but great summer bag and adds 10deg to my sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 20* T
    Suspension
    Straps
    Harbor Freight sells a 10 dollar wool blanket that works good also, and can double as a hooded coat.
    The wishbone will never replace the backbone- Will Henry

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast