Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch

Inexpensive options?

I’m looking for cold weather suggestions to supplement my TQ.

Last year I was able to get down to 4°F (reported) using my HG 0°F Incubator, HG 20°F Burrow (snap/cinch footbox), AHE Down Booties & clothing.

I sent my Incubator in for 4 oz overfill but the extra money isn't there to get a heavier TQ. So, I come to you my hammock family for inexpensive suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Questions are always welcome.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Luckily, top insulation is much easier to work with than below. And that 20° Burrow is a nice quilt.

Do you take a puffy down jacket with you on trips? I have a fairly light one, but it will really add some warmth. And if you don't wear it, you can really increase the insulation by loosely spreading it on top of you in the quilt to keep your torso warmer.

A hot water bottle will do wonders for cold feet, and possibly spread warmth throughout the quilt.

While bulky, you could bring along a small blanket or summer sleeping bag to add to the TQ.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Luckily, top insulation is much easier to work with than below. And that 20° Burrow is a nice quilt.

Do you take a puffy down jacket with you on trips? I have a fairly light one, but it will really add some warmth. And if you don't wear it, you can really increase the insulation by loosely spreading it on top of you in the quilt to keep your torso warmer.

A hot water bottle will do wonders for cold feet, and possibly spread warmth throughout the quilt.

While bulky, you could bring along a small blanket or summer sleeping bag to add to the TQ.
    I don't own a puffy jacket but I do normally have a Nalgene bottle with me, at least when camping with the scouts.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've used a fleece blanket to supplement my 20* Burrow. I've also used a fleece blanket tossed over the ridgeline to make an overcover, though you could go with something lighter like 1.1 oz nylon.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Even if you're not using it to keep warm, a hot/warm water bottle is nice just so you can start with warm water in the morning for coffee or a meal. And that also saves fuel.

You can buy a cheapo down jacket at retail stores for about $50. I've seen them as low as $29, but the down is probably low quality (feathers) and not very compressible. But a cheap option, especially if you're not backpacking and worried about fitting in a pack.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've used a fleece blanket to supplement my 20* Burrow. I've also used a fleece blanket tossed over the ridgeline to make an overcover, though you could go with something lighter like 1.1 oz nylon.
    Depending on which hammock I use, I do have one from Dream Hammocks with an overcover. Would you try to use the fleece over or inside of the TQ?

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Even if you're not using it to keep warm, a hot/warm water bottle is nice just so you can start with warm water in the morning for coffee or a meal. And that also saves fuel.

You can buy a cheapo down jacket at retail stores for about $50. I've seen them as low as $29, but the down is probably low quality (feathers) and not very compressible. But a cheap option, especially if you're not backpacking and worried about fitting in a pack.
    I'll have to keep an eye out for something like that or the second hand stores by me. If I can find a fill rating, any suggestions on what I should try and start at? 650 fill?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye out for something like that or the second hand stores by me. If I can find a fill rating, any suggestions on what I should try and start at? 650 fill?
    I always thought 650 was good; 800 is great. I have a jacket with both and use the 650 more often just because there is less fill and it packs smaller, but it's not as warm.

You get what you pay for, but I got a Mountain Hardwear Kelvinator w/ Hood for $115 on sale years ago.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    I was at sam's club today, they had duck down compressible jackets for $15 (90 down/ 10 feathers acording to the tag). It's that time of year when stores are phasing out winter gear and things are being marked down, keep your eyes out!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Depending on which hammock I use, I do have one from Dream Hammocks with an overcover. Would you try to use the fleece over or inside of the TQ?
    I just lay it over the TQ just like a blanket. Fleece is really warm and in the summer, sometimes that's all I bring instead of a TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I just lay it over the TQ just like a blanket. Fleece is really warm and in the summer, sometimes that's all I bring instead of a TQ.
    Thanks. I know fleece is fairly light but I didn't know if there would be any compression issues with it on top of the TQ. I'm hoping that at some point I'll be able to save up for a heavier TQ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast