HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Glacier National Park, Backpacking, Fishing and Hanging Questions August 2015

Our family is planning a 10 day trip to Glacier in August to (*gasp*) backpack in to remote fishing spots. I gasp because I am really the only big backpacker of the group, including my teenage kids, my DH, his sister, and her grown son and his wife. Right now I am a little overwhelmed by the possibilities, so would appreciate some advice by people who have some backcountry time there.

Half of us are hangers - 3 hammocks. The other half tenters - 3 tents... Do we need to reserve 2 tent sites or 3 because of the hammocks? I know there are 2 tents allowed per site, right?

Can anyone give me suggestions for a 50-60ish mile backpacking trip. I want to avoid an out-and-back so we can see more. A loop or even a shuttle with a pick up along Going to the Sun Road is great. I am thinking 8-10 miles per day for 5 or 6 days.

Also, I know fishing folk keep their prize spots close to their chest, but if you have any suggestions, can you PM me if you don't want to put it on the forum?
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Thanks Demeter for posting, if you don't mind me going to school on your planning process. I've only day hike and fished from road accessible locations but it certainly put the hook in me for a return trip someday. Just as an aside, if you follow facebook at all, Glacier has a page that will push a daily picture of the park to your news feed, it's just eye candy but really good motivational stuff for your planning. I find I'm starting to become more familiar with the park as a whole.

David

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Look at the Glacier map with the back country campgrounds. Most of the hikes look great, I have only done a few miles but never back country camps. You may be limited to campsites with hanging but looked like most have decent trees at the tent pads. Look at google maps, zoom into Glacier park and type "campgrounds" in the search box. Most of the back country campgrounds will show on the map. I zoomed in and was picking the ones with decent looking trees.

We stayed a few nights at Many Glacier campground and a few at Two Medicine. Both had great trees for hanging and we just did day hikes.

Also check out Hike734 on youtube. He has hiked every mile in Glacier and has videos on just about every trail.

Have fun, it is a magical place to visit. August will be very busy but the weather will be great.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Thanks Demeter for posting, if you don't mind me going to school on your planning process. I've only day hike and fished from road accessible locations but it certainly put the hook in me for a return trip someday. Just as an aside, if you follow facebook at all, Glacier has a page that will push a daily picture of the park to your news feed, it's just eye candy but really good motivational stuff for your planning...
    David
    Definitely join in the forum fun! The news feed sounds like a great carrot to dangle in front of the family

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Look at google maps, zoom into Glacier park and type "campgrounds" in the search box. Most of the back country campgrounds will show on the map. I zoomed in and was picking the ones with decent looking trees....

Also check out Hike734 on youtube. He has hiked every mile in Glacier and has videos on just about every trail.
    Excellent idea about Google Earth! I am def going to do it.

Thanks so much for the Youtube channel. I need to check it out right now!!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Make sure everyone has bear spray and follow the recommended protocol.

This might also interest you.

And This
    Last edited by SnrMoment; 01-27-2015 at 18:01.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    A great loop is to start at Many Glacier up through the Ptarmigan tunnel to Elisibeth Lake . Then take the Belly River trail to Mikiwanis Lake. Then up Stoney Indian Pass to Stoney Indian Lake . Go down to the Highline Trail and head south to Fifty Mountain. This a great place to do a layover day. the day hike up to Sue Lake overlook is worth it . Continue south on the Highline Trail to Granite Park Campground. There is the Granite Peak Lodge just 1/4 mile away, they have Snickers and Cokes for Sale! This would also be a great layover with side trips to the Grinnell Glacier overlook and the Swiftcurrent lookout tower. Last day go down the Swift Current trail . Lots of hanging glaciers and waterfalls. The lakes in the valley are your best chance to see moose . This will take you back to Many Glacier where there is a campground, Showers, a restaurant , and the best of all Huckleberry Ice cream and Beer . Try the Scape Goat Lager, it is the best !

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I hiked from Chief Mountain to Bowman Lake last summer and had a fantastic time. I had a 4 minute stand off with a mountain lion on day two that was pretty dang amazing!

Fronkey

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Fronkey-
    Looks like that mountain lion had an abscess on his left cheek/neck area. Also looks darn skinny-
    My guess is that he was looking for any easy meal.

And I second Snrmoment on the bear spray and having a solid bear plan.

I've actually been pseudo planning the trip Skyline just suggested to the northern area of the park for late August / early September. I have read and heard from a coworker many great things.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by signguy View Post
    Fronkey-
    Looks like that mountain lion had an abscess on his left cheek/neck area. Also looks darn skinny-
    My guess is that he was looking for any easy meal.

And I second Snrmoment on the bear spray and having a solid bear plan.
    He definitely had something going on with his check. A ranger said it could have been a snake bite when I showed them the video I shot. He was crouched on the trail when I walked up to him and I barely saw him.

As for bear spray, I never saw a bear in Glacier, but there was plenty of their poo around. A guy got attacked a week after I left and another a week before near Polebridge. I actually didn't carry bear spray when I was in the park which I very much regretting. I ended up buying some immediately after getting out of GNP on my west on the PNT.

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast