Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

PCT Washington Section K - hammock compatible?

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a hike in Washington in early September. I've heard that section K of the PCT (Stevens Pass to Stehekin) is somewhat challenging, but otherwise outstanding. Are there sufficient trees along the entire section for hammock camping. If so, should I pack my 9 foot huggers or can I get away with smaller?

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a hike in Washington in early September. I've heard that section K of the PCT (Stevens Pass to Stehekin) is somewhat challenging, but otherwise outstanding. Are there sufficient trees along the entire section for hammock camping. If so, should I pack my 9 foot huggers or can I get away with smaller?
    Not familiar with that hike ( as in I have not done it) but I can say that we have BIG trees here. I would def bring your long huggers. Small increase in weight for many more trees to hang from.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    +1 on extra length. No shortage of trees to hang from there.
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    You'll be fine, but I'd pack the longer ones. Unless you're going through a pass, the PCT typically stays sub-alpine. So there's always trees, but the more alpine you go the fewer choices you'll have and those longer straps will be handy--they've always been for me. Often I like longer straps so I can get myself out of tree cover, away from widow-makers and view of the stars. I myself like being as high as possible.

Have you considered going the opposite direction? At that time of year you'll meet a ton of thruers and getting a ride from Stevens (cell service) will be much easier: (depends on where you're staying) but generally you could leave a car (alone?) at Stevens on the way to Chelan to be dropped off.

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did a small part of it last weekend (Stevens Pass to Lake Valhalla) and found trees. +1 for long straps. Mine are 8' and I had to extend one with extra line. I've also done a lot around Rainy Pass that had adequate trees.

In general in this region I find that above 5000 feet it *may* get challenging to find trees that can support a hammock. That may be +/- a thousand feet in some places. If you plan your camp areas for at or below 5000 you'll probably be good. Definitely some of the passes will be too high. Weekend before last I camped at Rampart Lakes (also around 5000 feet, off of Snoqualmie Pass) and it took me two hours to find trees that could support me. There were trees, but they were too small. But I've found trees as high as 6000 feet that would work sometimes too. Definitely easier if you're only looking for one hammock spot instead of two. :-)

I usually zoom WAY in on google earth to look at an area before I go. It doesn't always give me a good sense of how substantial the trees are, but at least it gives me some idea.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    I'm glad I'm not the only alpine hammocker who's had to wander around to find suitable trees. You think you found a good spot--great views of the valley, next-morning's summit or lake, but it's a little longer than you'd like, so you hike the loops up the tree a bit. Then you find the tree is ridiculously bendy when you about sit on the ground in that first test.

Or the perfect trees you found probably require a belay.

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    ... Then you find the tree is ridiculously bendy when you about sit on the ground in that first test.Or the perfect trees you found probably require a belay.
    Ha, yes! So many times! And I'm tiny ("sure they're small, but they only need to hold a pixie!") Of cousre, I'm also obsessed with the perfect view of the lake, mountain, river, and stars...after all, the beauty of camping in a hammock is hanging out with a view! I'm sure I gave the flyfishermen watching me try out my first (failed) spot at Rampart Lakes the other weekend got a good chuckle at my expense. It's cool, though; I'll totaly sacrifice my pride for the perfecct hang.

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    longer straps will come in handy for sure. I'd also carry some spare line, just in case you need to add a few feet.

• + New Posts