Tarp
    BCUSA multicam
    Insulation
    beefed up PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

Hang-curious motorcycle camper here

Hey all!

I'm a total newbie, and hammockless at that, on here to read up and try to determine what would work best for me.
    I HAD a HH safari deluxe, but... the then-gf wanted to share it with me but we didn't fit well. In the middle of the night, we woke up cold and on the ground, the hang was pronounced a failure and the hammock shelved indefinitely.

Well, we broke up n she kept it for reasons I can't fathom, so now i'm looking for something smaller and maybe a bit more "me".

I currently tour Oregon and Washington on my cbr250 with a 5# tent, 9.5# go-cot, air mattress and sleeping bag. Given that my steed is so small and packing room so minimal, i'm looking to cut that down a bit. My back and joints require the cot if i'm on the ground, though, so I'm coming back to the hammock idea.

I'm small (5'4") and light (125#) so size isn't a limitation as mich as just needing flexibility in maybe having to set up my hammock on the ground as a bivy sometimes if there aren't workable trees at my site.
    My present short list (though I'm still all ears) is a double layer Dream Darien or Nighthawk with multicam Tadpole tarp, whoopies, and ccf+reflectix pad. I tend to sleep cold, but if I need to set up on the ground, I'd rather have a pad under me than an UQ.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by Kitsune06; 01-25-2015 at 23:18.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft NylonD
    Tarp
    OES 4 season
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ, Down20*Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Welcome, you're in the right place. Take your time looking around at all the info and hammock vendors (cottage vendors) here on the forum. You'll find lots of options to suit your preferences.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Speed Hook
    Images
    A Grand Trunk Ultralight is what I started with. Its a bit on the short side at around 9.5 ft. in length (so not the most comfortable), however is cost effective at $20-30. I have since upgraded to a DIY hammock.

I have a motorcycle and have thought about taking a long distance, hammock camping trip with it... have yet to do any hammock camping from it yet though.

Welcome! There is a wealth of knowledge here without a doubt.

P.S. If all the ex got of yours was your Hennessy, you bought her cheap and made out like a king!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    BCUSA multicam
    Insulation
    beefed up PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjoshwilson View Post
    A Grand Trunk Ultralight is what I started with. Its a bit on the short side at around 9.5 ft. in length (so not the most comfortable), however is cost effective at $20-30. I have since upgraded to a DIY hammock.

I have a motorcycle and have thought about taking a long distance, hammock camping trip with it... have yet to do any hammock camping from it yet though.

Welcome! There is a wealth of knowledge here without a doubt.

P.S. If all the ex got of yours was your Hennessy, you bought her cheap and made out like a king!
    Ha! Ohhh no she got a lot more than that, but whatever. I choose to see it as a form of spring cleaning. It feels more win-win that way.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06 View Post
    Ha! Ohhh no she got a lot more than that, but whatever. I choose to see it as a form of spring cleaning. It feels more win-win that way.
    Same here, practicing in the house and garage for hanging. What you lost in the divorce was small, compared to what you will have and gain in the next 5 years. Trust me on this, it is a 5 year plan to get back and get over. Been there done that. I thought 5 years??? what ever..... but the truth is it takes that long. Much better off now!!!!!

Ride safe

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Welcome to the forums! You will undoubtedly find all kinds of ideas around here from people (not me) who have been hanging for a long time. Sounds like life's curves have given you all kinds of new opportunity.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Images
    I have been using a Ridgerunner hammock and then selective on camp sites for trees. This fall I bought a Tensa4 stand to pack on the bike (1200RT)- thinking it will make the camp site selection more flexible. Flat lie, very comfortable for my old bones!

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I hammock camp off a Honda NC750x using a Warbonnet Ridgerunner; They're pretty pad/air mattress friendly.

IMG_2162.jpg

• + New Posts