Converting to hanging with DIY bridge

I've not camped with a hammock before so I decided to jump right in with making my own bridge hammock! I absorbed a ton of information on this forum and my result turned out to be very good. Wanted to share my specs and my process a little bit.

I went for bridge style because it seems very straightforward and seems to accomodate quilts and pads of simple shapes. I pulled my dimensions from reading advice here and then guessing as to what would be comfortable. The curve suspension is sewn in webbing - I considered doing amsteel but the webbing just seemed a more elegant finish for a bit of a weight penalty. Having sat in it I'm glad I went with the webbing instead of cord.

The body is made out of PolyD 1.4. The webbing terminates in loops and I attach amsteel dogbones to those loops. The spreader bars (Easton .625) simply join in the bend that the amsteel makes - again this seemed like the most straightforward and elegant solution without any hardware.

The dogbones are currently attached to a whoopie sling via a dutch bridge speed hook (no longer in actual speed hook mode due to line wear concerns) - seems to hold well.

Fabric length: 80"
    Fabric width at head and foot: 48"
    Curve: 8"
    Head spreader bar: 36"
    Foot spreader bar: 26"

My plan from here on out is to try to keep things modular and zipper free. I'm going to make a square underquilt protector out of most likely argon 90 that will attach at the spreader bars with some adjustable line. I want to experiment with placing a pad between the hammock and the UQP for the time being, but eventually get around to making some Apex quilts. The first order of business is getting a tarp made so I can take it out for a full night spin.

Having been a ground camper, lying down in the hammock was quite the experience! Comfortable, cozy, and a great view around me. I'm excited!

Weights so far:

Hammock + webbing + dogbones - 7.83oz
    Whoopie slings - 1.5oz
    Tree huggers - 3.6oz
    Spreader bars - 8.43oz

curve.jpg
    cut.jpg
    sew.jpg
    final.jpg

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing
    excellent job! looks like you're pretty comfortable.

Hammock
    Diy argon Gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheap poly
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Where do you get bars like these???
    Last edited by Ridgehanger; 01-26-2015 at 01:13.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quest Outfitter's. Aluminum tent poles. Usually the .625 or.742 size. Don't buy the economy poles, they are a different grade aluminum, and not as strong. You want the 7075 aluminum poles. These pole's are Easton Expedition poles, if you want to try and find them elsewhere, but I haven't found any place as comprehensive as Quest.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    Nice looking bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Quest Outfitter's. Aluminum tent poles. Usually the .625 or.742 size. Don't buy the economy poles, they are a different grade aluminum, and not as strong. You want the 7075 aluminum poles. These pole's are Easton Expedition poles, if you want to try and find them elsewhere, but I haven't found any place as comprehensive as Quest.
    Those are the ones I got! I have my eye on some carbon fiber for the future (link) but the idea of something violently failing near my head scares me. Has anyone long-term used CF poles safely on a bridge?

Hammock
    Diy argon Gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheap poly
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Thank you I am really thinking I might try this soon

• + New Posts