Hennessy Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Hennessy SS
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinch

Transporting your Hennessy

My new Hennessy arrived this week and I had a chance to hang it today. I got the snake skins put on and it's awesome. It led me to a question though. How do you guys transport your hammocks when not in use? I tried putting it back in the scrunch sack and man was it a fight. Do you just carry them loose, or get a larger bag, or just find a way to fit them back in the Hennessy sack?

Tim

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I don't like the snake skins on my hammock. I sewed a bag open @ both ends for my hammock (HHED). When/if I use snake skins I use them on my hex tarp. I sometimes string the tarp & leave in the skins for quick deployment if it starts to rain in the night. Most time I like to sleep without the tarp deployed.

Hammock
    hh ex deluxe, diy hyper d 1.6
    Suspension
    amsteel speed hook
    This is what I use. Walmart outdoor products backpack. $8. Compacts down to the size of a fist when empty and not in use. They have black green and burgundy red and blue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I use snake skins for my Hennessy explorer, and another set for my tarp
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TGish View Post
    My new Hennessy arrived this week and I had a chance to hang it today. I got the snake skins put on and it's awesome. It led me to a question though. How do you guys transport your hammocks when not in use? I tried putting it back in the scrunch sack and man was it a fight. Do you just carry them loose, or get a larger bag, or just find a way to fit them back in the Hennessy sack?

Tim
    When in the snakeskins, I just fold the hammock up by halving the length until it gets to about a foot long and then wrap the suspension around it to hold it that way. Is that what you were asking?

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hammock in snake skins, fold up and stuff in factory bag with suspension on top so I can grab one side and attach to tree straps and then grab the other side and do the same.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Hennessy SS
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinch
    Cool. I may try wrapping the suspension lines around the bundle and see if that helps squeeze it together.

I still use the stock bag that came with my HH Expedition. I just stuff, push, and cram the hammock into the bag, leaving the ropes up top for ease of setup. Tree straps go in too, right on top to be accessible. The stock tarp also goes in the bag, usually on top in case I need to put it up first. As you say, it's a tight fit but I've done it over and over with no real issues. I figure it came that way so it'll go back in.

I've also got a larger hex tarp, and I've tried carrying it in snakeskins. Not sure I like the snakeskin concept so far. I understand the advantages for fast setup and keeping a wet tarp separate from other gear, but find the package unwieldy in practice. I've not tried snakeskins on the hammock itself because the stuff sack works for me.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Images
    I use a cuben bishop bag for my explorer and undercover with whoopie slings. I carry my tarp with its suspension separate. I can set the tarp up in the rain and then pull the hammock out.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It's worth noting that, any time you're going to stuff a loose fabric piece--hammock, quilt, sleeping bag, etc.; anything that lofts up some--into a stuff sack, it reduces the amount of space you have in the pack (as the stuff sack imparts a specific shape to the fabric, causing voids of space in the pack that can't be filled by regularly-shaped items very well). Snakeskins exacerbate this issue, since the shape they're forcing your stuff into is so odd.

If you want to fill your pack with the least dead space left over (therefore decreasing your total volume needed to stuff your stuff), use as few sacks as you can get by with.

The reason that snakeskins are used is twofold: one, they're convenient as heck when setting up and breaking down; and, two, they help prevent water from hitting the ends of the hammock when using a minimalist asym tarp (like the ones that Hennessy Hammocks come with stock). They are not very good for actual packing in a pack.

This is one of those "pick your poison" points: ease of set-up/break down or ease of packing. Personally, I prefer ease of set-up/break down and use a single very oversized snakeskin (think Lazy Slug Tube), since I prefer being able to set up my hammock in the rain and then set up my tarp right on the ridgeline without everything getting wet as well as keeping all of my sleeping insulation and such together without having to reset everything I get to camp.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast