WBBB XLC 1.1DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Comfort in WBBB XLC vs Dream Hammock Thunderbird

I am considering another hammock that can have the bug net removed. Currently I have a WBBB and find that I feel pressure on my leg at the opening to the footbox. I understand that this has been resolved with the XLC. I like the shelf and just about everything else about the hammock. I plan to hang next to my girlfriend who will use my WBBB under the same tarp as this is the only way that she will go out with me. I dislike that the XLC only comes with a single zip and therefore is accessible from just one side, since this would mean that we will sleep head end to foot end, but have considered having 2QzQ do a zip modification.

I have not been able to try a Dream Hammock out but it seems an excellent choice. My question is to those who have tried them both. What is the difference in the lie and comfort between the two?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had two WBBBs (1.7DL & 1.1DL) and always had similar issues. I disliked not being able to see out the one side. I had calf ridge pressure, which was lessened by a inflatable seat pad. I was always having my UQ fall off my footbox or my opposing shoulder.

I got a DH Thunderbird single (Taffeta) and a double (ripstop), both in 11'. The length is what made the difference. It took all the calf issues away. I sold the Taffeta one to a buddy & he immediately liked it better than the WBBB. The one thing that I didn't like was that you have to scrunch up all the way to the top or all the way to the bottom to close off the mesh or top cover. The topcover also has the advantage of holding more body heat inside.

I thought about getting an XLC, but to my understanding, it's only a longer version of the WBBB. The other thing I immediately noticed when it first came out was that the footbox was mesh. Having seen mesh rip much easier than ripstop, it was something that I didn't want. I have since heard of issues with this.

I purchased two more DHs over Christmas - the NightHawks, which I absolutely love. You'll still have the issue with the zipper only opening on one side, but Randy put three zippers on each track, so you can zip the topcover into place and then position the other two zippers at your shoulder for easier ingress/egress. It you still want the TB, I'd suggest paying for the zipper upgrade to get this benefit. I also love the UQ hooks along the edges, which really help to hold the UQ in place.

The other thing I really like about the DHs is their new HyperD fabric. It's very similar to Kammok's fabric - really soft diamond shaped rip stop:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...runk-vs-Kammok
    Last edited by Boomer; 01-25-2015 at 01:07.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    When my wife and I double hung like that we had head and feet at opposite ends so the hammocks opened to the center. We liked it very much, facing one another that is.

You might also consider getting one of your WBBB's in lefty.

David

• + New Posts