Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by carmike View Post

1) Should I buy a cheaper hammock at first and then upgrade if I like it? Same goes with an underquilt...I've got tons of pads, but I've read that lots of people who love hanging hate doing it over a pad. I figure, if I like hanging, I'll buy a UQ eventually, so why not get one right off the bat? And if I hate it, I figure I'll probably buy a UQ anyways to see if that makes the difference.

2) Will I get too hot if I get a colder-than-necessary UQ? I imagine I wouldn't, since I could just take the blanket off me, but just wanted to see if that's right.

3) Can a UQ double as a down blanket for tent camping? I have a few people I regularly canoe with who don't have down (or even synthetic) bags, and using the UQ as a blanket would allow me to let them use my sleeping bag.

4) Any suggestions for heavy guys? 6'1'' 260 lbs here, very broad shoulders. I imagine that's irrelevant, but might I get cramped?

Ok, that's enough for now. I apologize for all the noob questions....there's just SO much to consider that the beginning steps are a wee bit intimidating, especially considering some of the dollar tags on all this nice gear.
    1- Starting with an inexpensive hammock is a great way to go. I have everything from Dutch $30 hammocks to a DreamHammock T-bird. I would personally recommend a dutch hammock to start.
    1a- If the initial monetary outlay isnt a big dealbreaker for you, then get a good UQ/TQ setup. If you decide hammocking isnt for you, you can resell them here and get almost what you paid for them.

2 As for being hot, it is easy to vent both top and bottom to regulate temps.

3 Never used an UQ on the ground, but using a TQ on the ground (on a pad in a tent) is easily done and works well.

4 I am 5'11 and weigh 230-240, broad shoulders also. I personally prefer a wide hammock and my favorite width is around 70 inches. On the other hand, i can sleep comfortably in a 60 inch wide Dutch PolyD hammock. Some of that has to do with the fabric having less stretch.

Too many factors are subjective, just get out and hang and find what works best for you. For a starter setup i recommend the following:

Dutch Hammock $35
    Suspension $30 ( depends on your choices, can go higher or lower easily)
    WB Superfly Tarp $130 (can easily go cheaper and get a hennessey Hex for 1/2 the price but pay in weight)
    UQ from a cottage vendor $250-300 depending on temp rating and vendor
    TQ from a cottage vendor $220-280 depending on temp rating and vendor. BUY THIS LAST!!!! You can easily get by with a sleeping bag or blankets until you want to pull the trigger on a good TQ.

The above is 450-500 before you get a TQ and is an excellent setup. Oh, throw in a bug net for $50ish (or DIY one) and you are set to hang.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    For a starter setup i recommend the following:

Dutch Hammock $35
    Suspension $30 ( depends on your choices, can go higher or lower easily)
    WB Superfly Tarp $130 (can easily go cheaper and get a hennessey Hex for 1/2 the price but pay in weight)
    UQ from a cottage vendor $250-300 depending on temp rating and vendor
    TQ from a cottage vendor $220-280 depending on temp rating and vendor. BUY THIS LAST!!!! You can easily get by with a sleeping bag or blankets until you want to pull the trigger on a good TQ.

The above is 450-500 before you get a TQ and is an excellent setup. Oh, throw in a bug net for $50ish (or DIY one) and you are set to hang.
    Good recommendations. The only thing I'd consider changing is really unique to the OPs weight at 260lbs. Dutch rates his PolyD hammocks at 200-250lbs. I don't see a weight rating for his Argon but other vendors selling single layer Argon hammocks seem to rate them around 250lbs. Dutch rates his NylonD hammocks at 285lbs. I really like NylonD and it's probably the only fabric he should consider @ single layer so that's an option. I'd probably encourage him to pick up a double layered hammock, 11' in NylonD or something similar like the Hammeck Breezy ~$85, with suspension (as opposed to something from Dutch ~$65 for hammock and suspension). I'm sure all the weight ratings are conservative but personally I'd rather lay in something rated for ~120lbs more than my weight vs something ~25lbs more or 10lbs under.

I think the suggestion to save the TQ purchase for last is a great one. It's so true that you can easily substitute other things here with good results and really can't for other components.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I personally prefer a wide hammock and my favorite width is around 70 inches.
    Humer91, have you seen what Randy is doing with the flex width hammocks? If you want a wide hammock, wow....

http://www.dream-hammock.com/orders/1297.html
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/orders/1214.html

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
    Humer91, have you seen what Randy is doing with the flex width hammocks? If you want a wide hammock, wow....

http://www.dream-hammock.com/orders/1297.html
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/orders/1214.html
    Yeah, if you look at order # 1438 http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_status.html that is my new 72 inch hammock he is making.

Good recommendations. The only thing I'd consider changing is really unique to the OPs weight at 260lbs. Dutch rates his PolyD hammocks at 200-250lbs. I don't see a weight rating for his Argon but other vendors selling single layer Argon hammocks seem to rate them around 250lbs. Dutch rates his NylonD hammocks at 285lbs. I really like NylonD and it's probably the only fabric he should consider @ single layer so that's an option. I'd probably encourage him to pick up a double layered hammock, 11' in NylonD or something similar like the Hammeck Breezy ~$85, with suspension (as opposed to something from Dutch ~$65 for hammock and suspension). I'm sure all the weight ratings are conservative but personally I'd rather lay in something rated for ~120lbs more than my weight vs something ~25lbs more or 10lbs under.

I think the suggestion to save the TQ purchase for last is a great one. It's so true that you can easily substitute other things here with good results and really can't for other components.
    I have personally seen a 12 ft hyperD 1.0 hammock that took over 300 pounds . I am 240 and have had 2 of my daughters in my Dutch PolyD hammock with me for a weight of about 320... on many occasions. The weight rating on all the new diamond grid fabrics are very conservative and require a significant amount of continued real world testing.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I know that I read somewhere today on Facebook that one of the vendors was starting up a rental program, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking and post the name when/if I find it.

EDIT: Found it. It was mentioned in The Ultimate Hang's FB post about Underground Quilts (UGQ).
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Yeah, if you look at order # 1438 http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_status.html that is my new 72 inch hammock he is making.
    Nice, congrats. I just got mine, #1432 and it's great

Thanks for all the excellent help, guys and gals. I was out in the fishhouse for the entire weekend, and the internet signal is non-existent. That's why I like it out there.

I will look into renting one to see if that's an option. One of the cheaper entry models might be in the making, too.

Here in MN it's almost always bug season. May will bring the blackflies, and the skeeters will be a problem until the first solid frosts in September (usually). I don't plan on doing any winter trips until I've got a lot of trips and some good gear under my belt, so I was assuming the built-in bugnet would be nice.

Regarding weight, most of my trips will be canoe camping trips, where weight isn't a big deal. A loooooooong portage is two miles, and the packs we use are much more about volume than about comfort. In other words, the extra weight and space requirements of the bigger hammocks wouldn't be a big deal, as we're carrying 100+ liter packs, frequently with a canoe resting on the shoulders as well. And honestly, the only times I really sleep well in a tent are on backpacking trips; nothing like 15-20 miles to tucker a fella out.

Someone mentioned the Clark hammocks as being pretty big/heavy. If I'm looking for a heavy-duty hammock, might this be a good place to start?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    ...Someone mentioned the Clark hammocks as being pretty big/heavy. If I'm looking for a heavy-duty hammock, might this be a good place to start?
    Well, be careful how you define heavy-duty... is your need really any more heavy duty than carrying it on an AT thruhike? There are thru hikers using BIAS Weight-Weenies and cuben tarps. That's one end of the spectrum, and I would say Clark is on the other end. In between, there are other hammock setups that have similar features as Clark for less weight and $$. Clark does have some unique features on some of their hammocks, but I would only choose them if you're sure those features fit your needs.

Most folks who say they don't mind the weight and bulk are talking about spending less, so in that regard, I would not start with Clark. Certainly consider them, though, as I would consider Warbonnet, Hennessy, Dream Hammock, and Simply Light Designs. Some of these may have their own unique features that might appeal more to you.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Here in MN it's almost always bug season. May will bring the blackflies, and the skeeters will be a problem until the first solid frosts in September (usually). I don't plan on doing any winter trips until I've got a lot of trips and some good gear under my belt, so I was assuming the built-in bugnet would be nice.
    If you are interested in something with an integrated bugnet and don't care about weight then I'd definitely look at some of the double layered offerings from Warbonnet, Dream Hammock, and Hammeck. The only reason I'd consider single layer, at your size, is for weight savings/pack size.

Ok, thanks for the guidance. Funny coincidence: The fiance just bought a ENO DoubleNest for me/us, mostly as a place to hang out and rest when on canoeing trips. Maybe I'll hang it up in the garage and spend a night in it to see if I like it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast